Strade Bianchi ***Spoilers***

1234568»

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

MvdP's stats from Saturday have been released by his team.
    He 'only' hit 1,004 watts for 20 seconds to win on the final climb.
    389 watts normalised for the duration of the race.
    439 watts normalised for the last 90 minutes.
    https://cyclist.co.uk/news/9331/mathieu-van-der-poels-insane-strade-bianche-watts-revealed?fbclid=IwAR1aGC6A0DmA-RXs35iBXEKpFgnVjZW4U4c_qwLJnjbRiND_pQnPK0fJoGs

Max of 1362W - not that far off (relatively) what some of the sprinters produce after 4 hours sat in the bunch on a pan-flat tour day.
    Yeah, that Kittel article had him doing a bit more but I think most sprinters in bunch sprints are doing something similar to this.

20 seconds is a long sprint as well, 1000 watts/14 w/kg for 20 seconds is obviously really impressive even without coming off 390 watts for 5 hours.

It's those averages for the race and for the last 90 mins which are really mind blowing for me. His threshold power to weight is up there with the GC guys - probably speaks to why WvA was doing so much on the climbs in the Tour (as they must have fairly similar profiles).
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565

As ever with the stats around power, they just confirm what you already know from watching with your own eyes.

What's remarkable about MvdP's style is how he flings his bike about with these accelerations, in a very high cadence.

True - but they also allow us mere mortals to compare our pathetic outputs in comparison and see just what's needed at this level.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

https://cyclist.co.uk/news/9331/mathieu-van-der-poels-insane-strade-bianche-watts-revealed?fbclid=IwAR1aGC6A0DmA-RXs35iBXEKpFgnVjZW4U4c_qwLJnjbRiND_pQnPK0fJoGs

Max of 1362W - not that far off (relatively) what some of the sprinters produce after 4 hours sat in the bunch on a pan-flat tour day.
    Yeah, that Kittel article had him doing a bit more but I think most sprinters in bunch sprints are doing something similar to this.

20 seconds is a long sprint as well, 1000 watts/14 w/kg for 20 seconds is obviously really impressive even without coming off 390 watts for 5 hours.

It's those averages for the race and for the last 90 mins which are really mind blowing for me. His threshold power to weight is up there with the GC guys - probably speaks to why WvA was doing so much on the climbs in the Tour (as they must have fairly similar profiles).
    agreed - 440 NP for 90 minutes is mad. He should go for the hour record but he'd probably get bored and chuck in 250m flat out every 10 laps.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

Stage 2

...just an extended, quarter loop around Paris really. Totally Flat, 3 2 intermediate Sprints. 1 3rd Cat 'climb' which has been done before coverage starts

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907

Not sure which is more impressive. The 18wkg max in the sprint or the fact that he was averaging about 5.8wkg over the last 90 minutes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    gweeds said:

As ever with the stats around power, they just confirm what you already know from watching with your own eyes.

What's remarkable about MvdP's style is how he flings his bike about with these accelerations, in a very high cadence.

True - but they also allow us mere mortals to compare our pathetic outputs in comparison and see just what's needed at this level.
    TBH if I rode that distance at any speed I doubt I would have much left in the tank to even get up it, let alone go up it like I go on the flat.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565

gweeds said:

TBH if I rode that distance at any speed I doubt I would have much left in the tank to even get up it, let alone go up it like I go on the flat.
    I'd probably be walking up that last climb
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    ddraver said:

Stage 2

...just an extended, quarter loop around Paris really. Totally Flat, 3 2 intermediate Sprints. 1 3rd Cat 'climb' which has been done before coverage starts

Strade Bianche has a second stage? I'm up for that, @ddraver ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Ah nuts...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

agreed - 440 NP for 90 minutes is mad. He should go for the hour record but he'd probably get bored and chuck in 250m flat out every 10 laps.
    His 90 minute power is my 1 minute power :smiley:
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132

90 mins is the approx time of a XCO race - and we know how he's finally got that worked out; and can drop a load of watts to clinch wins...
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    I keep watching the finale and every time I watch it I keep being surprised by quite how impressive the MvdP acceleration was.