Strade Bianchi ***Spoilers***

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    mrb123 said:

Not sure if this is a criticism or praise, but the finish of the course does seem to guarantee that the strongest rider wins without much doubt.

A km or two of flat after the climb would bring in a lot more permutations.

I find the very end an anti climax. There's rarely a surprise ending.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Simmons looked good today too but suffered seriously bad luck. To chase back onto group 2 after that botch of a wheel change and then go to the front at the point it looked certain they were going to catch the leaders was excellent riding. That was also one of the quickest remounts I've ever seen by the Apecin rider that took him out. He'd barely stopped sliding before being back on his bike.

Two things I noticed today. The first was just how hilly the races, I knew it was lumpy but possibly as I've never seen it from so far out before didn't realise quite how tough it was. The second, after musing on the affects of crashing downhill on that gravel particularly on bare hands, was that all the riders I looked at had their hands covered (someone will now post a photo of a group where at least half of the riders had bare hands.

Pidcock was definitely gloveless.
    It always feels like a pointless risk for a rider who has to be back holding the bars the day after a crash, even more so with all that gravel to get there.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    gsk82 said:

mrb123 said:

Not sure if this is a criticism or praise, but the finish of the course does seem to guarantee that the strongest rider wins without much doubt.

A km or two of flat after the climb would bring in a lot more permutations.

I find the very end an anti climax. There's rarely a surprise ending.
    Disagree with this. You don't genuinely know the race is over until the last 500m, but knowing that someone has won it as they cover the last 200m lets you enjoy (and depending on who you were rooting for, come to terms with) their victory. In a movie you'd switch to slow motion to give an audience that time, Strade Bianchi achieves the same deal by easing off once the really nasty stuff is out the way.

2km of someone who was clearly going to win the thing just showboating on the flat would be far more anticlimactic.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Incredible.
    I’m a fan of MVDP, but didn’t think he’d have the beans to match Alaphilippe, WVA, etc... over the distance and with all the climbs.
    Can this now officially be the end of all those complaints about MVDP being over hyped?
    Look at who the guy just toasted.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    And how he did it.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Great race. Disappointing result. No disputing that the strongest rider won, though.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Looking forward to MSR now if he can put out that kind of gas over a short burst, the Poggio should be interesting!
  • gsk82
    phreak said:

Looking forward to MSR now if he can put out that kind of gas over a short burst, the Poggio should be interesting!

Hopefully the higher speed on the poggio will make it less easy for him. He must be the clear favourite though, like Sagan always used to be.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    RichN95. said:

andyp said:

The concept of the monuments is not fairly recent. They've been described as such since the 1950s at least.

[Source needed]

Definitely. I've heard whole podcasts about the term "monument" and never a reference to them been around that long.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    I thought it was a World Cup thing
  • rick_chasey

Jose de Cauwer “had tears in his eyes” as it was “one of the best classics ever”
  • gsk82
    edited March 2021
    While washing the pots earlier I was trying to think which of the current/ soon to be cycling superstars was missing from that front group.

All I came up with was Roglic, Ganna and Evenepoel.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    It’s a rare race day when we are (almost) all in agreement about the quality.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    gsk82 said:

While washing the pots earlier I was trying to think which of the current/ soon to be cycling superstars was missing from that front group.

How quickly people forget Peter Sagan...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Personally, I like the fact that the race essentially finishes at the top. There are precious few races that do (aside from Fleche Wallonne, what else is there?). There's no fannying about, there's no trying to attack over the top, there's no trying to leave a little bit for the flat/descent. And the climb itself is so short you get one chance only, so you have to give it everything. It's never raced from a large bunch, so you've got to do the work to get into the selection first.

Yes, it becomes a show of strength, but I don't see anything wrong with that. Of the three I'd have had Alaphilippe as favourite, except for the fact that he'd not looked 100% comfortable following MvdP's earlier attack. Theoretically, his best chance might have been to attack before MvdP, a fair bit earlier, but I don't think anyone would suggest that would have saved him yesterday. Bernal would have been favourite if there had been another 7 km of climbing to follow, or if he'd got to the foot of the climb with a gap.

The fun part is really in the 5km before the finale, because they all know all of this, but they've got chasers behind. They've all seen each others cards by this point. An extra couple of km after the top gives them extra cards to play but lessens the chance they'll get played on the climb, at least until the top.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    For the counter argument, Amstel Gold has improved enormously as a race since they moved the finish away from the top of the Cauberg.

That said, it'd be very difficult to change the finish in Siena as the ridge the old town is built on is quite narrow and not very long. Finishing in the Piazza del Campo is perfect, as it's such an amazing square and adds to the race's charm.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2021
    Just realised how close it runs to the newly acquired holiday home.

🤘🏻Bring on 2022
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    andyp said:

For the counter argument, Amstel Gold has improved enormously as a race since they moved the finish away from the top of the Cauberg.

That said, it'd be very difficult to change the finish in Siena as the ridge the old town is built on is quite narrow and not very long. Finishing in the Piazza del Campo is perfect, as it's such an amazing square and adds to the race's charm.

Oh I'm not arguing that other finishes provide their own excitement, just that Siena is now unique in being a full on uphill sprint from a very small elite group. I like it for that :)
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Just realised how close it runs to the newly acquired holiday home.

🤘🏻Bring on 2022

I'll bring some beers. Who else is coming?
  • gsk82
    andyp said:

gsk82 said:

How quickly people forget Peter Sagan...
    I chose to omit him. I don't see him winning much from now on.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    gsk82 said:

Imagine MvdP and Ganna going at it through Arenburg.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I did wonder if every race in the calender was only between these top three Alaphilippe would always come second?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Well MvdP wasn't there, but WVA was and he became World Champion. Alaphilippe just needs it to be even more hilly. It's still amazing to watch him attack though. Sometimes he just rides in the saddle with such ease and you see even rider's like MvdP, WVA, etc. really grimace. Was like that last year in the Tour of Flanders. He looked incredibly strong and at ease a couple of km's before his crash. The others looked much more laboured despite Alaphilippe being of such a light weight comparatively.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    inseine said:

I did wonder if every race in the calender was only between these top three Alaphilippe would always come second?

Or they'd spend the whole time watching each other and he'd win the lot
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    inseine said:

All three of them due to race Tirreno-Adriatico. Should be great.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,926
    MvdP's stats from Saturday have been released by his team.
    He 'only' hit 1,004 watts for 20 seconds to win on the final climb.
    389 watts normalised for the duration of the race.
    439 watts normalised for the last 90 minutes.
    https://cyclist.co.uk/news/9331/mathieu-van-der-poels-insane-strade-bianche-watts-revealed?fbclid=IwAR1aGC6A0DmA-RXs35iBXEKpFgnVjZW4U4c_qwLJnjbRiND_pQnPK0fJoGs
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Pidcock keeps lurking at the back and looking behind - issue of some sort?
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

MvdP's stats from Saturday have been released by his team.
    He 'only' hit 1,004 watts for 20 seconds to win on the final climb.
    389 watts normalised for the duration of the race.
    439 watts normalised for the last 90 minutes.
    https://cyclist.co.uk/news/9331/mathieu-van-der-poels-insane-strade-bianche-watts-revealed?fbclid=IwAR1aGC6A0DmA-RXs35iBXEKpFgnVjZW4U4c_qwLJnjbRiND_pQnPK0fJoGs

Max of 1362W - not that far off (relatively) what some of the sprinters produce after 4 hours sat in the bunch on a pan-flat tour day.
  • rick_chasey
    As ever with the stats around power, they just confirm what you already know from watching with your own eyes.

What's remarkable about MvdP's style is how he flings his bike about with these accelerations, in a very high cadence.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

As ever with the stats around power, they just confirm what you already know from watching with your own eyes.

What's remarkable about MvdP's style is how he flings his bike about with these accelerations, in a very high cadence.

Yeah, but it is still impressive to see it in black and white