Strade Bianchi ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    VDNB-Blaak attacks ELB... ELB on the ropes...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited March 2021
    Vandenbroucke-Blaak takes it easily in the end. Clearly on much better form than me and the commentators gave her credit for

Apologies to her for not typing out her full bloody name all the time but...for goodness sake!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    The elastic suddenly snaps and Blaak disappears off up the road. Looked like she couldn't believe it when she finally looked back to see the gap.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Pro level wheel sucking from the Dutch girl there
    . See it works
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    ddraver said:

Vandenbroucke-Blaak takes it easily in the end. Clearly on much better form than me and the commentators gave her credit for

And her team, given they were trying to chase her down...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Well that was fun, wasn't it?
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    Intermission Discussion

What makes a Monument? I jest about @iainf72 and his chipper classification but Dani Rowe has now said 'It should be a monument" for the 5th time. Isnt this just something the fans decide?
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors

Well that was fun, wasn't it?

It's a good parcour . Action starts a bit out with multiple selections then a shoot out on sienna climb . Girls did it justice
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Ultimately the monuments are the monuments - I suspect the list will only increase after decades of people saying it ought to be one.

That said, if you look at the winners they're pretty high quality - three world champions, a couple who've been second on the podium, world cross champion, world ITT champion...
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    The list of monuments doesn't need to increase, it needs to decrease - PR, FL, SB can stay and the other chippers can do one. If and when somebody comes up with another race which consistently provides such good racing, which has an element of uniqueness and helps anchor a season then it can be added.

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited March 2021
    ddraver said:

Intermission Discussion

What makes a Monument? I jest about @iainf72 and his chipper classification but Dani Rowe has now said 'It should be a monument" for the 5th time. Isnt this just something the fans decide?

The whole concept of a 'monument' is fairly recent. 90s at the earliest (see also 'Grand Tour'). But I think the one defining feature is their age. They are all over 100 years old.

It's like the Classics in Horse Racing. They all been around for over 200 years. The King George Vi at Ascot is probably a bigger race than most of them, but has only been around since the 1950s so it's not a classic.

So in summary, barring a huge resurgence in Paris-Tours, there can't be another monument
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jam1e
    edited March 2021
    Is the commentary an optional upgrade?

Not sure if anyone else has issues with the commentary but turning the app off and on again sorted it out.
  • ddraver
    My Tuscan Food/Wine research made me hungry so I had to nip out and get something Italian for Lunch. Did I miss anything in the boys..?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    CANE!
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Lots of flats and mechanical mishaps
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    70 to go

Single rider, Loic Vliegen (WGG), with 13s.

Not much happening at the front but regular punctures, slips and slide outs at the back. None of them particularly serious other than to egos and race hopes
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    MvdP looks human for a second...

Excitement Overload

3 riders have 17 s (which represents about 3 fenceposts of actual distance) - Serrano, Vermeesch, Kron. 65 to go

Davide Ballerini with a puncture - first significant name given he may be a lot of help to Alaphilippe
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    Attrition setting in
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    I LOVE THIS RACE
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021

Lunch time!
    - @ddraver
  • jam1e
    edited March 2021
    Si Clark is in the mix!

I've no idea who Si Clark is but Carlton thinks he's always in with a shout...

(Not that Carlton is commentating but I can't hear about Si Clark without hearing it in Carlton's voice.)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Yes, one of the three one day races I'll always enjoy watching as much as they'll show.
  • ddraver
    Lots happening. Struggling to type fast enough whilst making lunch.

General attrition aided by Alaphilippe

51 to go
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    50km to go. Alaphillippe, wva and mvdp in group of 10. Soon to be smaller by the looks.
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    GvA implodes :(

All the big names in the front group and a selection of serious names chasing a short way behind

MvdP WvA, JA, Pog, Pidcock, Bernal (yep), Quin Simmons ( 😶 ) etc

Ineos the only team with 2

47 to go
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited March 2021
    That front group is hardcore

Pidcock and Bernal still there
  • david37
    good to see bernal in there
  • kingstongraham
    VAN AERT Wout
    VAN DER POEL Mathieu
    ALAPHILIPPE Julian
    GENIETS Kevin
    PIDCOCK Thomas
    BERNAL Egan
    GOGL Michael
    SIMMONS Quinn
    POGAČAR Tadej

Anyone gets back to that group I'll be amazed.
  • david37
    they must be monitoring my comments cause they're talking about him now . wise