Pross Posts: 40,534
    webboo said:

joe2019 said:

webboo said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Scores on the doors to date.
    72%, 0%, 25%, 2%. Guess which option is 0%?

You'd feel a bit silly looking at that whilst not intending having it I would have thought. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the extent of take up so far, reportedly over 90% in all the categories that have been offered the jab. I suspect it will reduce in the younger age groups where people are invincible but it looks like it will be way in excess of the two thirds that originally thought I was being optimistic in predicting.

Yep, pretty conclusive so far, I guess it reflects the demographic on here.

In a recent poll on Chemist & Druggist 56% of the respondents said they would NOT have it - would they be mainly pharmacists?

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/more-half-cd-readers-wont-get-covid-19-vaccine
    Wife’s cousin is a retired pharmacist and a recent conversation he asked if we thought COVID was a thing invented by the government so as introduce social control. I offered to by him a roll of tin foil for his hat.
    I would vaccinate my 6 year old grandson myself if need be.
    Yes I am qualified to give injections.

Socially distanced I hope :)
    Not quite, he was laid on the floor with his wife sat on him. While I gave him his vaccination. :*
    All sorts of innuendo there!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    webboo said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

You'd feel a bit silly looking at that whilst not intending having it I would have thought. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the extent of take up so far, reportedly over 90% in all the categories that have been offered the jab. I suspect it will reduce in the younger age groups where people are invincible but it looks like it will be way in excess of the two thirds that originally thought I was being optimistic in predicting.

In a recent poll on Chemist & Druggist 56% of the respondents said they would NOT have it - would they be mainly pharmacists?

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/more-half-cd-readers-wont-get-covid-19-vaccine
    It's a website poll of 186 people. While concerning, I'm not sure that is a robust statistic.
    Nothing so dangerous as a little knowledge.

The person who nearly put my mum off it was a retired nurse. Same thing.

Took me a week or reasoned persuasion to fix the nonsense she had been told. About "additives" and "impurities".

No specifics of course because *they* put them in and you just don't know do you?

Sound familiar?
    Ugh, that kind of thing really boils my p***. You'd expect it from some homeopathy quack but an actual qualified nurse! Worth reporting to the RCN?
    Why you report someone to their union. The NMC is nursing’s governing body.
    Even then none matter to the retired.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    webboo said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Wife’s cousin is a retired pharmacist and a recent conversation he asked if we thought COVID was a thing invented by the government so as introduce social control. I offered to by him a roll of tin foil for his hat.
    Ex girlfriend's sister was a pharmacist, but she was also a devout Christian. That shows you can work in a scientific profession and also believe a load of old bollocks at the same time.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

It's a website poll of 186 people. While concerning, I'm not sure that is a robust statistic.

Took me a week or reasoned persuasion to fix the nonsense she had been told. About "additives" and "impurities".

No specifics of course because *they* put them in and you just don't know do you?

Sound familiar?
    Ugh, that kind of thing really boils my p***. You'd expect it from some homeopathy quack but an actual qualified nurse! Worth reporting to the RCN?
    Even then none matter to the retired.
    I’m retired but I’m back on the register as I offered to help out in the current situation. However the skills required to inject people while they are held down aren’t required at the moment.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Ben6899 said:

joe2019 said:

I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.

Serious question, you think they're cutting it with another substance?

Have a read of the link above and make up your own mind.

Oh my goodness.

A quick flick through shows a lot of scientific-sounding waffle, but of course I haven't read it all the way.

And I'll bet you haven't either, just the takeaway message you've found on antivaxx websites.

I have read it all, it's interesting. I found it as a link from the NHS Facebook page, which was linked from our village news page.

Forgive me for being direct, but nothing you have posted on this thread or any other suggests that you could understand more than one word in four from that interview.

I'm out.
    one in four?

i think that's being generous, tbh.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

"Alexa, should I have the freedom not to have a vaccine and thereby potentially spread a deadly virus?"

I wasn't aware that the vaccine stops the spread of infection?
    This isn't the point.

The point is that the vaccine reduces the risk of major illness/hospitilisation by a lot.

Keep people less sick

Keep them out of hospital

Less ill people means less dead people.

Less people in hospital means less limited health resources being taken up

Less limited health resources being taken up by covid mean that HCPs can do their jobs

HCPs doing their job means that they can care for everyone else

Less covid patients means that HCPs can work under normal conditions and hours and not work their goddamn backsides off under appalling conditions

Apply that across society.

Of course, however, I was simply replying to the point made about the vaccine reducing the spread of this 'deadly illness'.
    yes its sodding deadly.

are you saying it isn't?

Sodding deadly for 1% who catch it for sure, for the other 99% not so much I guess.

So what do you think the best way forward is? Carry on lock down indefinitely? Let the virus run it's course with no restrictions? I'd really like to know what you think the best course of action is at this point as you don't seem to think getting vaccinated now is a good idea.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

"Alexa, should I have the freedom not to have a vaccine and thereby potentially spread a deadly virus?"

This isn't the point.

The point is that the vaccine reduces the risk of major illness/hospitilisation by a lot.

Keep people less sick

Less limited health resources being taken up by covid mean that HCPs can do their jobs

Less covid patients means that HCPs can work under normal conditions and hours and not work their goddamn backsides off under appalling conditions

Of course, however, I was simply replying to the point made about the vaccine reducing the spread of this 'deadly illness'.
    yes its sodding deadly.

are you saying it isn't?

Sodding deadly for 1% who catch it for sure, for the other 99% not so much I guess.

So what do you think the best way forward is? Carry on lock down indefinitely? Let the virus run it's course with no restrictions? I'd really like to know what you think the best course of action is at this point as you don't seem to think getting vaccinated now is a good idea.

Not at all, I think vaccination is the only realistic way out of this, after all there are plenty of people that are willing to test it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,655
    webboo said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Sound familiar?
    I stand corrected.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited March 2021
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

This isn't the point.

Keep people less sick

yes its sodding deadly.

are you saying it isn't?

Not at all, I think vaccination is the only realistic way out of this, after all there are plenty of people that are willing to test it.

You’re coming across like a bit of a d1ck, to be honest.

No offence.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited March 2021
    Too late I've had it
    Also have a date for the second injection, I have to say how well organised The nhs were at the Lincolnshire showground
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Pross said:

webboo said:

joe2019 said:

webboo said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Socially distanced I hope :)
    Not quite, he was laid on the floor with his wife sat on him. While I gave him his vaccination. :*
    All sorts of innuendo there!

No, it's usually in the arm.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Feels like the pace of calling up new groups is slowing in Hampshire, two weeks ago those aged 64+ could visit ad-hoc walk-in vaccination centres, these have now ceased as the 60-63 group are being invited to get their first jab. At 47, I'll be amazed if I get a jab before the end of April.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629

Feels like the pace of calling up new groups is slowing in Hampshire, two weeks ago those aged 64+ could visit ad-hoc walk-in vaccination centres, these have now ceased as the 60-63 group are being invited to get their first jab. At 47, I'll be amazed if I get a jab before the end of April.

I'm the same age, and I'm expecting well into June.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    Furlough was extended to September for a reason.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    pblakeney said:

Furlough was extended to September for a reason.

Word on the wards is that NHS England have been asked to prepare for another autumn surge...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    Ben6899 said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

This isn't the point.

Keep people less sick

yes its sodding deadly.

are you saying it isn't?

No offence.
    No it says more about you that you can't disagree without resorting to insults.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

This isn't the point.

Keep people less sick

yes its sodding deadly.

are you saying it isn't?

No offence.

He's effectively referring to anyone who has been vaccinated as a guinea pig. He's being a d1ck about the whole thing and that's merely an observation.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

Ben6899 said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

joe2019 said:

This isn't the point.

Keep people less sick

yes its sodding deadly.

are you saying it isn't?

No offence.
    The guy is relying on the macro benefits of the vaccine on the country as a whole to improve things and reduce his chance of getting the virus, without being willing to get it himself.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    My 17 year old has just got her first appointment for next Monday. It came as a bit of a surprise, she had cancer treatment that finished about 11 or 12 years ago but hadn't been told to shield at any point so we didn't think she would be prioritised. It also means we can answer Joe's question about whether we would have a teenager vaccinated and it is no longer hypothetical. She hasn't even considered not having it, she's keen to get on with life and sees anything that allows her get back to college, being on stage performing or being able to go and watch shows again as a positive.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,915
    Honestly, I think you are allowed to have some reservations about a roll out that has gone so quickly.

OTOH I would think anyone who has worked in a complex project that has stretched on for years would struggle to say that the time taken was a key indicator of quality.
  • Ben6899
    Jezyboy said:

OTOH I would think anyone who has worked in a complex project that has stretched on for years would struggle to say that the time taken was a key indicator of quality.

It's usually an indicator of lack of- !
    Ben

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,681
    Pross said:

My 17 year old has just got her first appointment for next Monday. It came as a bit of a surprise, she had cancer treatment that finished about 11 or 12 years ago but hadn't been told to shield at any point so we didn't think she would be prioritised. It also means we can answer Joe's question about whether we would have a teenager vaccinated and it is no longer hypothetical. She hasn't even considered not having it, she's keen to get on with life and sees anything that allows her get back to college, being on stage performing or being able to go and watch shows again as a positive.

Ah Pross that's great news.

Have heard some worrying stories of teenagers with nasty long covid (their Dr suggested it will be like this century's polio, with people living forever with echos of the illness) so that's really good to hear.
  • Pross
    Ben6899 said:

Jezyboy said:

Agreed, things moving quickly is a sign of something being done well in the vast majority of cases. I doubt all those glacial Government IT projects you hear about are a sign of the high levels of quality control going into them (especially as they never seem to work properly once finally completed).
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,915
    Thinking about the poll in the druggist mag.

I know a gas turbine stress analyst who refuses to sit in line with the turbine blades when he flies.

I think he's a plonker! (if a disc burst and cut the hydraulic lines I'd much rather it cut me onto pieces to as I don't fancy a slow plane crash :D)
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Ben6899 said:

joe2019 said:

I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.

Serious question, you think they're cutting it with another substance?

Have a read of the link above and make up your own mind.

Oh my goodness.

A quick flick through shows a lot of scientific-sounding waffle, but of course I haven't read it all the way.

And I'll bet you haven't either, just the takeaway message you've found on antivaxx websites.

I have read it all, it's interesting. I found it as a link from the NHS Facebook page, which was linked from our village news page.

could you send me a link to your village idiots paper and the Nhs Facebook page?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Jeez, can't people just ignore it when somebody decides to attention seek troll.

They will soon stop if they get no response!
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited March 2021

Feels like the pace of calling up new groups is slowing in Hampshire, two weeks ago those aged 64+ could visit ad-hoc walk-in vaccination centres, these have now ceased as the 60-63 group are being invited to get their first jab. At 47, I'll be amazed if I get a jab before the end of April.

I'm the same age, and I'm expecting well into June.
    its because they're on group 6 which is massive. If for eg you have a child who has been diagnosed with adhd or has learning difficulties you get the jab as the disability is then associated to you. Its a discrimination issue I believe. This means many more people under 50 will be getting the jab than those 50 - 65 before April

It also includes those who have eaten and drunk themselves to obesity or diabetes, have drink or drug problems etc etc

As well of course as those with all other underlying health issues past or present.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    David look at Joe's posts, they are much more subtle
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,901
    edited March 2021
    Pross said:

Ben6899 said:

Jezyboy said:

Agreed, things moving quickly is a sign of something being done well in the vast majority of cases. I doubt all those glacial Government IT projects you hear about are a sign of the high levels of quality control going into them (especially as they never seem to work properly once finally completed).

There's a complimentary piece in this week's Private Eye about the NHS IT for the vaccination programme: "The national immunisation programme is the first ever national [health] IT system that works" in the opinion of one "health tech veteran". The provider, System C, is one that has grown with the system, rather than the disastrous attempts by Fujitsu etc. to invent an entire system from scratch.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'm in.

Anyone remember Dr. Fish Filleter..? He was definitely legit...