Will you have the Covid-19 vaccine?

1356721

Comments

  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Yes I will.
    Coincidentally I work for the company that helped oxford with the initial development of it and the manufacturer of most of the equipment used to produce it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,592
    joe2019 said:

    Pross said:

    pblakeney said:

    Scores on the doors to date.
    72%, 0%, 25%, 2%. Guess which option is 0%?

    You'd feel a bit silly looking at that whilst not intending having it I would have thought. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the extent of take up so far, reportedly over 90% in all the categories that have been offered the jab. I suspect it will reduce in the younger age groups where people are invincible but it looks like it will be way in excess of the two thirds that originally thought I was being optimistic in predicting.

    Yep, pretty conclusive so far, I guess it reflects the demographic on here.

    In a recent poll on Chemist & Druggist 56% of the respondents said they would NOT have it - would they be mainly pharmacists?

    https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/more-half-cd-readers-wont-get-covid-19-vaccine

    One suspects that a self-selecting poll on a public website isn't necessarily going to be representative...
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Pross said:

    joe2019 said:

    Pross said:

    For someone who said they're not anti-vax you are coming across as finding lots of reasons for arguing against having the vaccination. As for the teenage kids question, my teenage daughter (and early 20s daughter) are both very keen to have it ASAP as they want to be able to get things back to normal as soon as possible.


    I"ve had all my vaccinations, including all the African/Asian travel versions.

    With so many willing guinea pigs, why would I rush to get this one without being better informed?
    Because the greatest likelihood of you contracting Covid will be when things reopen and not everyone has been vaccinated?

    What exactly is it you don't think has been adequately tested in the trials?

    Oh, I believe it has been adequately tested in the trials (although I would hope for robustly, rather than 'adequately').

    I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    im all for choice, I have no interest in being told what to do but in this instance, the implications of a small number of people making a decision not to get vaccinated is that the rest of us are likely to pay through ongoing lifestyle restrictions, through massively increased taxes (corporation tax for my small business is going up over 25% ) and through a crippled economy.

    Its like terrorists demanding personal rights that affect the rest of us only massively more impactful.

    There would ideally be no choice in the vaccine in my world but as a fall back position a vaccine passport, itself a massive infringement of personal liberty designed to remove from society those who chose to put the rest of us at risk is reasonable.

    Of course if a persons desire to be part of society is greater than their desire to be a scrote then the uptake of vaccine will rise.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    joe2019 said:

    Pross said:

    joe2019 said:

    Pross said:

    For someone who said they're not anti-vax you are coming across as finding lots of reasons for arguing against having the vaccination. As for the teenage kids question, my teenage daughter (and early 20s daughter) are both very keen to have it ASAP as they want to be able to get things back to normal as soon as possible.


    I"ve had all my vaccinations, including all the African/Asian travel versions.

    With so many willing guinea pigs, why would I rush to get this one without being better informed?
    Because the greatest likelihood of you contracting Covid will be when things reopen and not everyone has been vaccinated?

    What exactly is it you don't think has been adequately tested in the trials?

    Oh, I believe it has been adequately tested in the trials (although I would hope for robustly, rather than 'adequately').

    I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.
    Well, of course not, there's bound to be some trace impurities when they add the microchips
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited March 2021



    Well, of course not, there's bound to be some trace impurities when they add the microchips


    The vaccine is a genetic intervention, and BioNTech has admitted that there are DNA contaminants.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    joe2019 said:

    BioNTech has admitted that there are DNA contaminants.

    You've got me there, I have no idea what you're talking about and Google doesn't help.

    You don't seriously believe all the "mRNA vaccines will change your DNA" stuff do you? You are aware that every mouthful you eat contains vast amounts of DNA?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    joe2019 said:

    The question I ask myself is, 'would I let them give this relatively unproven vaccine to my teenage children' (who have had all their childhood vaccines to date).

    yes
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,473
    joe2019 said:

    Pross said:

    joe2019 said:

    Pross said:

    For someone who said they're not anti-vax you are coming across as finding lots of reasons for arguing against having the vaccination. As for the teenage kids question, my teenage daughter (and early 20s daughter) are both very keen to have it ASAP as they want to be able to get things back to normal as soon as possible.


    I"ve had all my vaccinations, including all the African/Asian travel versions.

    With so many willing guinea pigs, why would I rush to get this one without being better informed?
    Because the greatest likelihood of you contracting Covid will be when things reopen and not everyone has been vaccinated?

    What exactly is it you don't think has been adequately tested in the trials?

    Oh, I believe it has been adequately tested in the trials (although I would hope for robustly, rather than 'adequately').

    I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.
    This again sounds like you trying to find a reason to justify not having it. Each batch is tested, this was the reason cited for the original rollout being a bit slower than some hoped.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,473
    joe2019 said:

    Pross said:

    pblakeney said:

    Scores on the doors to date.
    72%, 0%, 25%, 2%. Guess which option is 0%?

    You'd feel a bit silly looking at that whilst not intending having it I would have thought. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the extent of take up so far, reportedly over 90% in all the categories that have been offered the jab. I suspect it will reduce in the younger age groups where people are invincible but it looks like it will be way in excess of the two thirds that originally thought I was being optimistic in predicting.

    Yep, pretty conclusive so far, I guess it reflects the demographic on here.

    In a recent poll on Chemist & Druggist 56% of the respondents said they would NOT have it - would they be mainly pharmacists?

    https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/more-half-cd-readers-wont-get-covid-19-vaccine
    186 respondents with nothing I could see suggesting their backgrounds. I know nothing about that site other than it is effectively an online version of a trade journal. Maybe only those in the trade responded or maybe it's the sort of site that attracts people with anti-medicinal views, who knows? The only number that really matters is the real-world uptake rather than 98% on this site who have said they have or will have the vaccine and that number is reportedly over 90%.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    The question I ask myself is, 'would I let them give this relatively unproven vaccine to my teenage children' (who have had all their childhood vaccines to date).

    yes
    In children, whose cells are dividing much more than in an adult?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    joe2019 said:

    "Alexa, should I have the freedom not to have a vaccine and thereby potentially spread a deadly virus?"


    I wasn't aware that the vaccine stops the spread of infection?
    This isn't the point.

    The point is that the vaccine reduces the risk of major illness/hospitilisation by a lot.

    Keep people less sick

    Keep them out of hospital

    Less ill people means less dead people.

    Less people in hospital means less limited health resources being taken up

    Less limited health resources being taken up by covid mean that HCPs can do their jobs

    HCPs doing their job means that they can care for everyone else

    Less covid patients means that HCPs can work under normal conditions and hours and not work their goddamn backsides off under appalling conditions

    Apply that across society.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,251
    There is a saying about fish...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited March 2021
    Pross said:

    joe2019 said:

    Pross said:

    pblakeney said:

    Scores on the doors to date.
    72%, 0%, 25%, 2%. Guess which option is 0%?

    You'd feel a bit silly looking at that whilst not intending having it I would have thought. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the extent of take up so far, reportedly over 90% in all the categories that have been offered the jab. I suspect it will reduce in the younger age groups where people are invincible but it looks like it will be way in excess of the two thirds that originally thought I was being optimistic in predicting.

    Yep, pretty conclusive so far, I guess it reflects the demographic on here.

    In a recent poll on Chemist & Druggist 56% of the respondents said they would NOT have it - would they be mainly pharmacists?

    https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/more-half-cd-readers-wont-get-covid-19-vaccine
    186 respondents with nothing I could see suggesting their backgrounds. I know nothing about that site other than it is effectively an online version of a trade journal. Maybe only those in the trade responded or maybe it's the sort of site that attracts people with anti-medicinal views, who knows? The only number that really matters is the real-world uptake rather than 98% on this site who have said they have or will have the vaccine and that number is reportedly over 90%.


    Other than they read C&D I guess.

    Still it's 140 more respondents than this poll :)
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    "Alexa, should I have the freedom not to have a vaccine and thereby potentially spread a deadly virus?"


    I wasn't aware that the vaccine stops the spread of infection?
    This isn't the point.

    The point is that the vaccine reduces the risk of major illness/hospitilisation by a lot.

    Keep people less sick

    Keep them out of hospital

    Less ill people means less dead people.

    Less people in hospital means less limited health resources being taken up

    Less limited health resources being taken up by covid mean that HCPs can do their jobs

    HCPs doing their job means that they can care for everyone else

    Less covid patients means that HCPs can work under normal conditions and hours and not work their goddamn backsides off under appalling conditions

    Apply that across society.


    Of course, however, I was simply replying to the point made about the vaccine reducing the spread of this 'deadly illness'.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    joe2019 said:

    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    The question I ask myself is, 'would I let them give this relatively unproven vaccine to my teenage children' (who have had all their childhood vaccines to date).

    yes
    In children, whose cells are dividing much more than in an adult?
    Can you not just come out and admit that you are a full-blown antivaxxer with your vague and unjustified scare stories?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    joe2019 said:

    I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.


    Serious question, you think they're cutting it with another substance?
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    joe2019 said:

    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    "Alexa, should I have the freedom not to have a vaccine and thereby potentially spread a deadly virus?"


    I wasn't aware that the vaccine stops the spread of infection?
    This isn't the point.

    The point is that the vaccine reduces the risk of major illness/hospitilisation by a lot.

    Keep people less sick

    Keep them out of hospital

    Less ill people means less dead people.

    Less people in hospital means less limited health resources being taken up

    Less limited health resources being taken up by covid mean that HCPs can do their jobs

    HCPs doing their job means that they can care for everyone else

    Less covid patients means that HCPs can work under normal conditions and hours and not work their goddamn backsides off under appalling conditions

    Apply that across society.


    Of course, however, I was simply replying to the point made about the vaccine reducing the spread of this 'deadly illness'.
    yes its sodding deadly.

    are you saying it isn't?
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    joe2019 said:

    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    The question I ask myself is, 'would I let them give this relatively unproven vaccine to my teenage children' (who have had all their childhood vaccines to date).

    yes
    In children, whose cells are dividing much more than in an adult?
    yes
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ben6899 said:

    joe2019 said:

    I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.


    Serious question, you think they're cutting it with another substance?
    is he serious?
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    "Alexa, should I have the freedom not to have a vaccine and thereby potentially spread a deadly virus?"


    I wasn't aware that the vaccine stops the spread of infection?
    This isn't the point.

    The point is that the vaccine reduces the risk of major illness/hospitilisation by a lot.

    Keep people less sick

    Keep them out of hospital

    Less ill people means less dead people.

    Less people in hospital means less limited health resources being taken up

    Less limited health resources being taken up by covid mean that HCPs can do their jobs

    HCPs doing their job means that they can care for everyone else

    Less covid patients means that HCPs can work under normal conditions and hours and not work their goddamn backsides off under appalling conditions

    Apply that across society.


    Of course, however, I was simply replying to the point made about the vaccine reducing the spread of this 'deadly illness'.
    yes its sodding deadly.

    are you saying it isn't?

    Sodding deadly for 1% who catch it for sure, for the other 99% not so much I guess.

  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    The question I ask myself is, 'would I let them give this relatively unproven vaccine to my teenage children' (who have had all their childhood vaccines to date).

    yes
    In children, whose cells are dividing much more than in an adult?
    yes

    I guess you don't have kids?

  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

    joe2019 said:

    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    The question I ask myself is, 'would I let them give this relatively unproven vaccine to my teenage children' (who have had all their childhood vaccines to date).

    yes
    In children, whose cells are dividing much more than in an adult?
    Can you not just come out and admit that you are a full-blown antivaxxer with your vague and unjustified scare stories?

    I am pro-vaccine, I've had every single one that I have ever been offered, my children have had all their childhood vaccines to date.

    Have a read of this:

    http://enformtk.u-aizu.ac.jp/howard/gcep_dr_vanessa_schmidt_krueger/?s=08&fbclid=IwAR2jRwwnx0HgCv8bDSqnJXHtUb7SpFqFxr895WMPn_-K-y739CEQE1edjEM
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Ben6899 said:

    joe2019 said:

    I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.


    Serious question, you think they're cutting it with another substance?

    Have a read of the link above and make up your own mind.

  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    joe2019 said:

    Ben6899 said:

    joe2019 said:

    I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.


    Serious question, you think they're cutting it with another substance?

    Have a read of the link above and make up your own mind.


    Got any papers by Dr McKeith?
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    joe2019 said:

    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    MattFalle said:

    joe2019 said:

    The question I ask myself is, 'would I let them give this relatively unproven vaccine to my teenage children' (who have had all their childhood vaccines to date).

    yes
    In children, whose cells are dividing much more than in an adult?
    yes

    I guess you don't have kids?

    who? me?
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,185
    "If we wait until July we won’t have any Israelis left as far as I can tell."

    Is there anywhere I can place a bet on that being wrong.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Ben6899 said:

    joe2019 said:

    Ben6899 said:

    joe2019 said:

    I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.


    Serious question, you think they're cutting it with another substance?

    Have a read of the link above and make up your own mind.


    Got any papers by Dr McKeith?

    No, I've not seen her work on novel vaccines. :)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    joe2019 said:

    Ben6899 said:

    joe2019 said:

    I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.


    Serious question, you think they're cutting it with another substance?

    Have a read of the link above and make up your own mind.

    Oh my goodness.

    A quick flick through shows a lot of scientific-sounding waffle, but of course I haven't read it all the way.

    And I'll bet you haven't either, just the takeaway message you've found on antivaxx websites.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    joe2019 said:

    Ben6899 said:

    joe2019 said:

    Ben6899 said:

    joe2019 said:

    I'm not so sure that the vaccine that is being rolled out by the million is necessarily of the same purity as the one used in the trails.


    Serious question, you think they're cutting it with another substance?

    Have a read of the link above and make up your own mind.


    Got any papers by Dr McKeith?

    No, I've not seen her work on novel vaccines. :)
    well, you're willing to base your opinion on an interview without having completed any reviews of her clinical research....

    are you in the medical field out of interest?
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.