The end of rim brake is upon us

123457»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,337
    elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

I reckon we should all buy one and cruuuuuiissse around on a fleet of them annoying all the clubbies.

by "we" though we deffo don't include obnoxious crow man

If we all had one, wouldn't that be slightly club-like?
    We could all wear matching kit and be sponsored by Hunt
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

I reckon we should all buy one and cruuuuuiissse around on a fleet of them annoying all the clubbies.

Hunt. Rhymes with....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

do you reckon if we ordered enough of it we could also get a discount on some beautiful Ultegra groupsets, you know, THOSE ones.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    bobones said:

MattFalle said:

If it looks blingy and cool then thats the battle won.

Exactly. That's why the gold chain is on its way from Merlin as we speak :smiley:

More info:
    I got the last 55, which weighed 1.75kg for the frame. I didn't weigh the fork, but the complete build comes in at 8.6kg, which is not too shabby. I only have this one other photo, but the saddle isn't level so I am almost too ashamed to post it up :smile: In my defence I only finished building it that morning, which is why there is only one bottle cage and a huge stack of spacers.

The lighting is a bit flat and doesn't capture the lustrous sheen. It looks kind of like titanium, but gold :smile:

This is what a bike should look like.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    its simple

its tidy

its mega
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    MattFalle said:

nah - the gold chain is mega, the 'tape lets it down as everything else looks pukka and co-ordinated and the black sucks the eye to the frame.

Seriously good job there dude.

Cheers. I actually bought a roll of black Deda logo tape and round bars for this as my original idea was to use narrow section wheels and go for a more traditional look. However, I had that oil slick tape, Prime Doyenne aero bars and the carbon 50s lying around unused so gave them a shot first.

Anyway, here's something that will upset you: I've fitted my Quickguard mudguards as it was a bit wet this morning. I've put them on the non-drive side to avoid cluttering the drive side, but that means the skewers are now on back to front

These really are a dawdle to fit and swap on and off between bikes. Literally 5 minutes, if that.

Here's some of the dubious Advanced Mountain power-fist graphics on the frame and fork

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,502
    That is a lovely bike, nice work.
    If people are looking for other options, companies like Condor still offer a few steel and aluminium frames with rim brakes in sizes up to 64cm.
    Their Fratello model which is a Columbus steel allrounder is priced from £850 - so maybe not such a bargain as the above, but not at all bad. linky
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The Fratello is lovely, and I'm sure I saw a new red Genesis Equilibrium frameset on sale for less than £400 a couple of months ago.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    singleton said:

That is a lovely bike, nice work.
    If people are looking for other options, companies like Condor still offer a few steel and aluminium frames with rim brakes in sizes up to 64cm.
    Their Fratello model which is a Columbus steel allrounder is priced from £850 - so maybe not such a bargain as the above, but not at all bad. linky

This was pointed out on page 4. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • singleton
    pblakeney said:

This was pointed out on page 4. 😉

Er, um, well it was just a gentle reminder :*
    Sorry for the duplication.... I'll get my coat.
  • MattFalle
    bobones said:

MattFalle said:

nah - the gold chain is mega, the 'tape lets it down as everything else looks pukka and co-ordinated and the black sucks the eye to the frame.

Seriously good job there dude.

Cheers. I actually bought a roll of black Deda logo tape and round bars for this as my original idea was to use narrow section wheels and go for a more traditional look. However, I had that oil slick tape, Prime Doyenne aero bars and the carbon 50s lying around unused so gave them a shot first.

Anyway, here's something that will upset you: I've fitted my Quickguard mudguards as it was a bit wet this morning. I've put them on the non-drive side to avoid cluttering the drive side, but that means the skewers are now on back to front

These really are a dawdle to fit and swap on and off between bikes. Literally 5 minutes, if that.

Here's some of the dubious Advanced Mountain power-fist graphics on the frame and fork

you can get that mudguardshit off there straight away fella m'lad.

why on earth would you want thatcrap on there?

#disappointed
  • MattFalle
    tbh, i like the power fist. its funny.

like something from Team Titans.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    The Fratello is beautiful... not sure how they manage to make a 2 kg frame using a light tubing like Spirit... needs talent... :(
    left the forum March 2023
  • singleton
    Maybe they use heavy paint.
  • ugo.santalucia
    singleton said:

... or the welds are well robust... or the dropouts are solid... bit of a shame and a missed opportunity, but it's not marketed as a nimble climber after all
  • singleton
    The Fratello is listed as part of their "Endurance road" category of bikes.
    What I do find disappointing is that their "Race ready performance steel" Super Acciaio frame is 30g heavier.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,877
    edited April 2021

singleton said:

... or the welds are well robust... or the dropouts are solid... bit of a shame and a missed opportunity, but it's not marketed as a nimble climber after all
    The Condor Italia RC is the best ALU bike I ever owned ..great all rounder . Was way cheaper when I got mine ...800 quid for a Alu frame now...

I saw this coming back in 2017 and bought 2 carbon Evo pro frames . Still using the first but it's getting there.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,877
    I miss campag neutrons and campag part sales .. can't get replacement rims
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ugo.santalucia

I miss campag neutrons and campag part sales .. can't get replacement rims

Yeah... difficult, I seem to recall the front was a 22 holes rim, very odd count. The rear is 24 with a 1:1 lacing, so any 24 holes rim will do. If you want to keep the spokes you need to find a shallow rim with the same ERD though...