The end of rim brake is upon us

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    I can live without guards if it comes to that... I no longer do audax and my wife has a new Wahoo Kickr that I could use if the weather was too foul in winter.

The number of outlets selling frames only has shrunk dramatically... as above, among the reasonably priced options, Ribble still do... Kinesis do... there really isn't much else and if you want rim brakes, then the choice is pretty much inexistent.
    left the forum March 2023
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

I can live without guards if it comes to that... I no longer do audax and my wife has a new Wahoo Kickr that I could use if the weather was too foul in winter.

The number of outlets selling frames only has shrunk dramatically... as above, among the reasonably priced options, Ribble still do... Kinesis do... there really isn't much else and if you want rim brakes, then the choice is pretty much inexistent.

I'm sure once the brexit and covid supply and demand issues settle down we will all be able to buy a pro carbon frameset from planet x for £200 again.
  • ugo.santalucia

I'm sure once the brexit and covid supply and demand issues settle down we will all be able to buy a pro carbon frameset from planet x for £200 again.

It's been a while since Planet X have sold any bargain road frame... besides, I really don't want to go around with a fake orange Holdsworth... I wish they went back to using their own brand and decent colour schemes... there was nothing wrong with a Planet X sticker, not sure who they think they are conning by buying historic logos and sticking them on Chinese frames.

• paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631

My new “old stock” Planet X
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

It's been a while since Planet X have sold any bargain road frame... besides, I really don't want to go around with a fake orange Holdsworth... I wish they went back to using their own brand and decent colour schemes... there was nothing wrong with a Planet X sticker, not sure who they think they are conning by buying historic logos and sticking them on Chinese frames.

Yes it seems odd that they wouldn't want to build their own brand. I could understand it to an extent with Viner who had more of a premium image (I'm assuming PX bought the Viner name rather than just distributed Viner bikes) but Holdsworth carries no cachet with anyone short of retirement age.

I wonder if perhaps the sudden lack of rim brake options is partly been accelerated by increased demand and decreased production due to Covid. If you can sell everything you produce maybe simplifying your range makes sense. I'm not suggesting rim brakes will bounce back just that it may have been a catalyst for the change.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283

Spa Cycles do a good Reynolds 725 frame with carbon forks that takes mudguards,
    for not a lot of money.
    https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m11b0s143p2828/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Audax-Frame-and-Forks
  • ugo.santalucia
    de_sisti said:

Spa Cycles do a good Reynolds 725 frame with carbon forks that takes mudguards,
    for not a lot of money.
    https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m11b0s143p2828/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Audax-Frame-and-Forks
    I think I'm done with rust-ware... I now enjoy Hill Climbing, so light is best. I got the Dolan down to 7.2 kg, which is by no means competitive in the sport, but it's better than the 8+ I would manage with a steel frame.
    It's a simple equation... at my level in Hill Climbing 1 kg is about 5-7 Watts, depending on the hill... which broadly means 3-5 seconds, which in some races means up to 5 places up or down... it could just be the difference between qualifying for the National or not
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited March 2021

I took my Dolan Dual out of hibernation on 1st March. I must admit to liking the acceleration it has over my Spa Audax bike. My bike-riding is not sporting (I just do it for enjoyment), so any mention watts makes my head hurt.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Tbh, if you are bargain hunting and enjoy tinkering get an orange Holdsworth dirt cheap then get it sprayed any colour you want for a hundred quid and voila - light, cheap, your colour.

If you're handy, do it yourself.

None of this is difficult to get to the end goal you want.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Got this bargain frame as a spare, fully compatible with my Dual... it's got a few minor issues, but nothing serious... would do as peace of mind in case of a sudden crack developing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dolan-Preffisio-52cm-Road-Bike-Frame-And-Headset/313443498859?hash=item48fab03b6b:g:JnUAAOSwuwdgQlvG
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited March 2021
    I absolutely hate the direction the bike industry has taken. What happened to the days when cycling was a cheap mode of transport for the masses or when you could spend less than a couple of grand and get an absolutely stellar bike? Now we're all paying for R and D and marketing that makes sod all difference to the vast majority of us in the real world. Aero this, disc that, electronic the other. I hope there are firms out there that will spot a niche and continue supplying rim brakes bikes with normal tube profiles and mechanical gearing for those of us who value simplicity and ease of servicing over 8 grands worth of plastic and carbon fibre that isn't actually any faster unless it's got a pro providing the engine.

Edit.
    Please no replies about Brexit, inflation, the Tories blah blah. This has been going on for a long time now and whilst the above may be factors, the industry has consciously moved in a certain direction for it's own ends and not for it's customers benefit.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Can I comment on your apostrophe misuse then?
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

Absolutely
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    shortfall said:

Absolutely
    The most minor of infringements though, more a parking ticket than a major felony.
  • Shortfall - I would agree with you there. Over the last decade, at least, cycling seems to have been marketed as a "lifestyle" choice. With social media, it has taken on an element of being a part of who you are rather than a hobby/sport or something you just do i.e. ride a bike.

I think this has brought a whole new load of enthusiastic cyclists into the mix, which is a good thing, but it has also meant lots more consumers with different ideas of what cycling is about and also a lot of disposable income to spend on this new 'lifestyle' of choice.

Bike manufacturers, as well as clothing and component manufacturers as well, have understandably jumped on this and the focus for many seems to be on the premium end these days.

There will always be a place for rim brake frames as there is a still a market for them, they will just be squeezed down to the minimum and leave those of us that still want them with limited choice.
  • def_defyr
    def_defyr Posts: 93
    shortfall said:

I absolutely hate the direction the bike industry has taken. What happened to the days when cycling was a cheap mode of transport for the masses or when you could spend less than a couple of grand and get an absolutely stellar bike? Now we're all paying for R and D and marketing that makes sod all difference to the vast majority of us in the real world. Aero this, disc that, electronic the other. I hope there are firms out there that will spot a niche and continue supplying rim brakes bikes with normal tube profiles and mechanical gearing for those of us who value simplicity and ease of servicing over 8 grands worth of plastic and carbon fibre that isn't actually any faster unless it's got a pro providing the engine.

Edit.
    Please no replies about Brexit, inflation, the Tories blah blah. This has been going on for a long time now and whilst the above may be factors, the industry has consciously moved in a certain direction for it's own ends and not for it's customers benefit.

You absolutely can, though. For well under a grand you can get an excellent Giant AL Contend, or something from Decathlon's house brand. Most big brands have a budget line, still plenty of rim brake options.

I did a lot of bike shopping in 2019/20. I found many, many excellent bikes at relatively affordable prices, especially between $1,200 and $2,000.

As for being a "cheap mode of transportation for the masses," there are tens of thousands of used bikes to be had for a song that work perfectly well.

If you are talking about what euphemistically used to be called "racing" bikes, well, that's a different story. But if weight is not your be-all end-all, then plenty of options well under 3k.

I fully agree that the bar for high-end bikes has radically moved higher and not sure that you gain anything significant over 4k, but it's like watches -- they all tell time but at a certain point you're into a piece of jewelry rather than just a clock on your wrist...

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I watched the pantomime of Strade Bianche at the weekend where several riders suffered punctures on their disc braked bikes. Neutral service was unable to help in most cases due the the varying specifications of groupsets, cassette sizes and disc sizes. When team cars were involved the riders almost exclusively chose to take a new bike rather than wait for the inevitable faff of swapping a disc wheel (especially if it was a rear puncture). Pro teams must now have to budget for extra bikes to cope with this development rather than just having a few spare wheels.

In some situations the time factor could cost a rider a win or podium place. I wonder if this factor may eventually drive the pros back to rim brakes
  • ugo.santalucia
    arlowood said:

In some situations the time factor could cost a rider a win or podium place. I wonder if this factor may eventually drive the pros back to rim brakes

If it was down to the teams, they would have no hesitation... problem is if you have a contract with Specialized or Trek, you don't really have that option.

• I contacted Ribble about an Endurance SL rim version in the grey colour and was told they won’t be restocked, so if you’re after an Endurance with rim breaks then I’d buy the black one while you can.
  • ugo.santalucia

I contacted Ribble about an Endurance SL rim version in the grey colour and was told they won’t be restocked, so if you’re after an Endurance with rim breaks then I’d buy the black one while you can.

Buggers...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

Perhaps the new improved cross ply tyres are imminent then?

Of course they are. You will soon be told they are must have items and you will be "back of the pack" without then. These are people trying to sell you things. They have very little morals or scruple's about what they sell, their only concern is getting your money.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,333

I contacted Ribble about an Endurance SL rim version in the grey colour and was told they won’t be restocked, so if you’re after an Endurance with rim breaks then I’d buy the black one while you can.

Presumably that's because the demand isn't there, if people wanted them they would get them in again. I don't think Ribble are market leaders forcing their will on the public. They order what they know they can sell.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Yes just snap up one of the unsold rim brake bikes from last year...
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I'll be OK as long as they don't stop selling brake pads! I'm now up to 4 rim brake road bikes (De Rosa SK, Dolan Dual, Scott CR1) with this little Chinese steel gem from Amazon being the latest addition. I thought it's an easy return if it's rubbish, but I was gobsmacked at the beautiful polished finish, light weight, and tidy craftsmanship, so it's a keeper.

• MattFalle
    bobones said:

I'll be OK as long as they don't stop selling brake pads! I'm now up to 4 rim brake road bikes (De Rosa SK, Dolan Dual, Scott CR1) with this little Chinese steel gem from Amazon being the latest addition. I thought it's an easy return if it's rubbish, but I was gobsmacked at the beautiful polished finish, light weight, and tidy craftsmanship, so it's a keeper.

now thats got serious potential! more piccies amd info please!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Reynolds 520? Meh.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    Its £420 for a winter bike. Tbf, you can't get a decent lunch for £420....
  • MattFalle
    If it looks blingy and cool then thats the battle won.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,333
    pblakeney said:

Reynolds 520? Meh.

Only in childs sizes too.
  • MattFalle

pblakeney said:

Reynolds 520? Meh.

Only in childs sizes too.
    noted that which is A Bad Thing.