The end of rim brake is upon us

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    bobones said:

I'll be OK as long as they don't stop selling brake pads! I'm now up to 4 rim brake road bikes (De Rosa SK, Dolan Dual, Scott CR1) with this little Chinese steel gem from Amazon being the latest addition. I thought it's an easy return if it's rubbish, but I was gobsmacked at the beautiful polished finish, light weight, and tidy craftsmanship, so it's a keeper.

What a beautiful bike. Stripped down, nothing there that doesn't need to be, functional and cool as fvck. Well played!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    shortfall said:

bobones said:

I'll be OK as long as they don't stop selling brake pads! I'm now up to 4 rim brake road bikes (De Rosa SK, Dolan Dual, Scott CR1) with this little Chinese steel gem from Amazon being the latest addition. I thought it's an easy return if it's rubbish, but I was gobsmacked at the beautiful polished finish, light weight, and tidy craftsmanship, so it's a keeper.

What a beautiful bike. Stripped down, nothing there that doesn't need to be, functional and cool as fvck. Well played!
    yup.

whack it 1x, lose the light, lose the computer, round bars..... pwwwwooooaaaaarrrrrr

as is its still freaking cool.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • shortfall
    MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

bobones said:

yup.

whack it 1x, lose the light, lose the computer, round bars..... pwwwwooooaaaaarrrrrr

Well, guessing the light is still needed just now but point taken. Love that bar tape also, where can I get some of that?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    MattFalle said:

If it looks blingy and cool then thats the battle won.

Exactly. That's why the gold chain is on its way from Merlin as we speak :smiley:

More info:
    I got the last 55, which weighed 1.75kg for the frame. I didn't weigh the fork, but the complete build comes in at 8.6kg, which is not too shabby. I only have this one other photo, but the saddle isn't level so I am almost too ashamed to post it up :smile: In my defence I only finished building it that morning, which is why there is only one bottle cage and a huge stack of spacers.

The lighting is a bit flat and doesn't capture the lustrous sheen. It looks kind of like titanium, but gold :smile:
  • bobones
    edited March 2021
    shortfall said:

Well, guessing the light is still needed just now but point taken. Love that bar tape also, where can I get some of that?

It's Supacaz Bling Oil Slick. I bought it last summer (pre Brexit) from Mantel for the De Rosa, but it didn't really go. The light is a Varia radar so I don't really go out without it.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    bobones said:

shortfall said:

It's Supacaz Supacush Oil Slick. I bought it last summer (pre Brexit) from Mantel for the De Rosa, but it didn't really go. The light is a Varia radar so I don't really go out without it.

I thought that was American Express?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    shortfall said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

bobones said:

yup.

Best I could find was this, but unavailable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Control-Handlebar-Cycling-Iridescent/dp/B07TKT8HD9

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    bobones said:

MattFalle said:

If it looks blingy and cool then thats the battle won.

Exactly. That's why the gold chain is on its way from Merlin as we speak :smiley:

More info:
    I got the last 55, which weighed 1.75kg for the frame. I didn't weigh the fork, but the complete build comes in at 8.6kg, which is not too shabby. I only have this one other photo, but the saddle isn't level so I am almost too ashamed to post it up :smile: In my defence I only finished building it that morning, which is why there is only one bottle cage and a huge stack of spacers.

The lighting is a bit flat and doesn't capture the lustrous sheen. It looks kind of like titanium, but gold :smile:
    its mega - top work!
  • shortfall
    If I could get one in a 61cm I'd buy one in a shot. This is exact!y the sort of bike I think would sell well if only there was a bike firm willing to market it. I suppose there wouldn't be enough profit in it and it'll last for ever too so looks like we're stuck with more of the same 6 grand plastic aero jobs with discs and di2 that don't do the job any better than this little beauty.
  • MattFalle
    Any 57s i'd be in there.

mega.

agree completely re shortfall's comments.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    MattFalle said:

Its £420 for a winter bike. Tbf, you can't get a decent lunch for £420....

Mudguards?
  • MattFalle
    de_sisti said:

MattFalle said:

Mudguards?
    what about them?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Id sell the Boardman for one of those.

I'll drop the seller an email
  • MattFalle
    We need more pics methinks.
  • shirley_basso
    Up to a 55 here, from Aliexpress (slightly updated)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002107519794.html

• MattFalle

phhwwooaaar

• bobones
    de_sisti said:

MattFalle said:

Mudguards?
    Doesn't have eyelets, but I've got a set of these I can use.
    https://www.bicyclequickguard.co.uk/

I prefer to use my Dolan Dual for proper wet or muddy stuff though.

I think the gold chain makes it look as though I'm trying too hard (which I am :smile: )

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

Oh FFS, that is lush, I really want one now despite not needing it. I could probably squeeze onto a 55.

Any idea if the American Mountain branding on the downtube and fork could come off with some Acetone?

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,317

Oh FFS, that is lush, I really want one now despite not needing it. I could probably squeeze onto a 55.

Any idea if the American Mountain branding on the downtube and fork could come off with some Acetone?

I think it's Advanced Mountain, if that makes you want to keep it!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • joe_totale-2
    pangolin said:

I think it's Advanced Mountain, if that makes you want to keep it!
    Hah! Silly me. Still, if the branding could be removed then I may just have to place an order...
  • bobones
    Seems to be under the lacquer on the frame as far as I can tell. It's not quite so obvious in the graphics on my version, but it's definitely a bit silly having Advanced Mountain plastered all over a road bike.
  • shirley_basso
    Sadly the supplier messaged me back on Alibaba - no 57s for the full sized males.
  • MattFalle
    bobones said:

de_sisti said:

MattFalle said:

Mudguards?
    Doesn't have eyelets, but I've got a set of these I can use.
    https://www.bicyclequickguard.co.uk/

I prefer to use my Dolan Dual for proper wet or muddy stuff though.

I think the gold chain makes it look as though I'm trying too hard (which I am :smile: )

nah - the gold chain is mega, the 'tape lets it down as everything else looks pukka and co-ordinated and the black sucks the eye to the frame.

Seriously good job there dude.
  • MattFalle
    I reckon we should all buy one and cruuuuuiissse around on a fleet of them annoying all the clubbies.

by "we" though we deffo don't include obnoxious crow man

• MattFalle

Sadly the supplier messaged me back on Alibaba - no 57s for the full sized males.

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Fuckit.I'm gonna burn down his house.

That'll learn him.
  • joe_totale-2
    MattFalle said:

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Fuckit.I'm gonna burn down his house.

That'll learn him.
    Or we all ride 55's and use 150mm, -17 degree stems. Slammed obvs.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

I reckon we should all buy one and cruuuuuiissse around on a fleet of them annoying all the clubbies.

Yeah that will learn me to be rude to everyone.
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    edited March 2021
    It may be of interest to all you rim brake fans finding it difficult to source framesets.
    I will be selling (in a couple of weeks) a Medium 2019 Focus Izalco Race frameset and a Large 56cm Scott CR1 Pro frameset (I think 2014 or 2015, it was a warranty replacement). Both are in superb used condition.
    Haven't decided on cost yet but pm me if interested.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    MattFalle said:

If we all had one, wouldn't that be slightly club-like?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk