S*** Small Races Thread - 2021

Comments

• Meanwhile, it the rugged heartland of the South of France, another brace of semi classics take place, attracting stronger than usual fields.

On Saturday, Februrary 27th takes place the 21st Faun-Ardèche Classic (171 km) and on Sunday, they cross the Rhone river for the 9th

Royal Bernard Drome Classic (179km)

Top competitors

FUGLSANG Jakob
    MARTIN Guillaume
    VLASOV Aleksandr
    WOODS Michael
    BARGUIL Warren
    PINOT Thibaut
    GAUDU David
    CARTHY Hugh
    COSTA Rui
    ČERNÝ Josef

Both of these races have live coverage via L'Equipe and if anybody doesn't mind French and safe in the knowledge that the Belgian races will be available on demand via the GCN/Eurosport player platforms, the provided link has been tested by me and works with the internet app on the Amazon firestick. (you just need to follow two prompts and verify when asked.

https://www.tntendirect.com/L'EQUIPE-21-en-direct
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited February 2021
    Adam Yates has just gone down in the UAE Tour, on a completely innocuous, dead straight piece of road. Good for Ineos to know that they've hired a perfect substitute for Thomas...
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,686
    As someone who has face-planted the ground myself, I’d like to say ouch on behalf of Adam Yates. That’s not fun at all.

Aside from the sympathy, crashing on a huge, wide motorway does seem pretty careless to say the least.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Tomorrow sees another one day semi classic, this time in Italy and as usual, it starts their race calendar and now becomes a little anti-pasti for Strade Bianche.
    The 58th Trofeo Laigueglia, which has it's finish on the Milan-San Remo course, will boast an improved startlist. Top competitors:-

LANDA Mikel
    NIBALI Vincenzo
    KWIATKOWSKI Michał
    BILBAO Pello
    BALLERINI Davide
    PINOT Thibaut
    MOLLEMA Bauke
    BERNAL Egan
    QUINTANA Nairo
    BAGIOLI Andrea

Unfortunately, while live coverage is scheduled, it currently appears that it will only be available on Rai Sport.
    I am hoping it will turn up later on Tiz or maybe even the Tube.
  • blazing_saddles
    Tiz is promising a live feed from about 2pm:

https://tiz-cycling-live.io/live.php
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Looks to be a pretty aggressive race to this point - 3 up the road inc Edet, chasing group of about 15 including Bernal, Nibali, Quintana, Fuglsang and Landa I think.
    Front have 45 second lead.
  • andyrr
    Chasing group now has more than 15, more like 40
  • andyrr
    Mollema now has 25sec over chasing group of 8 or 9 with Bernal et al
  • andyrr
    Dangerous allowing Mollema that lead with barely 7 miles to go. Now up to 27 secs as he climbs up through town streets.
    Bernal attacks.
  • andyrr
    Still an 20 sec lead over Bernal, Landa, Champousin, Ciccione and Van sevenant
  • andyrr
    Chaser not committing, Mollema's to lose.
  • andyrr
    Great strong ride from Mollema, Berna 2nd, Van sevenant 3rd.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2021
    Good race that. Enjoyed it.
    Tiz will probably have it uploaded in a couple of hours if anybody wants to check it out.
  • andyrr
    edited March 2021
    Would like to have seen coverage from before Tiz had it as the race was really split up already. Great scenery and hard racing with a very strong ride by Mollema - not pretty to watch but he really commits once he's gone for it.
    Also good to see Bernal in the thick of it. Champoussin isn't a name I'm familiar with but he also looked good.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Always disappointing Mollema doesn't commit to one dayers in his season.
  • blazing_saddles
    andyrr said:

Would like to have seen coverage from before Tiz had it as the race was really split up already. Great scenery and hard racing with a very strong ride by Mollema - not pretty to watch but he really commits once he's gone for it.
    Also good to see Bernal in the thick of it. Champoussin isn't a name I'm familiar with but he also looked good.

He was second to David Gaudu in the Ardèche Classic on Saturday over a very similar course. He's not 23 until May, so another French prospect off the Grupama FDJ conveyor belt.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Good to hear Bernal is competitive again, I was worried that back problem might be the sort of thing a rider struggles to get sorted. Nice to see Mollema getting a win too.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Pross said:

Nice to see Mollema getting a win too.

His second of the season. Which is a *lot* for him.
  • blazing_saddles
    The full coverage is up now. The actual race coverage starts at about 6 minutes in.

https://tiz-cycling.io/videos/trofeo-laigueglia-2021-full-race-italian/?tape=2
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    andyp said:

Pross said:

Nice to see Mollema getting a win too.

His second of the season. Which is a *lot* for him.
    For a 'GC' man you could argue his biggest successes have been in 1 day races.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    He is probably like Fuglsang a fake GC guy and rather a good 1 day racer for the hilly stuff.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • yorkshireraw
    m.r.m. said:

He is probably like Fuglsang a fake GC guy and rather a good 1 day racer for the hilly stuff.

Sounds like Nairo these days (1 stage rather than 1 day racer tho....)
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Exciting finish to GP Industria & Artigianato. Highlights up on Youtube. Definitely worth a watch.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • yorkshireraw
    Nokere Koerse on GCN+ currently - looks a bit cold / muddy. Great stuff.

Not too thrilled with the comms duo - what has happened to Declan Quigley? He was great on these smaller mid-week Belgian madness jobs.
  • blazing_saddles
    Cav hits the cobbles hard
  • yorkshireraw

Not too thrilled with the comms duo - what has happened to Declan Quigley? He was great on these smaller mid-week Belgian madness jobs.

Cav was looking ok in the main pack, about 20 sec behind the remains of the break, just decked it on cobbles with 6k to go. Looks to be ok.
  • yorkshireraw

Cav was looking ok in the main pack, about 20 sec behind the remains of the break, just decked it on cobbles with 6k to go. Looks to be ok.
    Good race - worth watching the last 20K.
  • Nokere Koerse on GCN+ currently - looks a bit cold / muddy. Great stuff.

Jose Been just doesn't add any excitement in the slightest. In the last kilometre she was still reading the leaders PCS stats and talking about a break he was in during Etoile de Besseges
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    He?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005

He?

The leader (well that’s what I read).

She’s improving and clears the very low bar set by CK. I find Backsted’s delivery a bit downbeat though.