S*** Small Races Thread - 2021

Comments

• RichN95. said:

Good to see Bernal fit again

He looked relaxed on the bike didn’t he. I enjoyed watching that yesterday, first race I’ve watched “on big telly” via firestick Eurosport app. Obviously had a few beers in the process.

Watching that stage yesterday reminds you what a beast of a climb Ventoux is
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Great to see proper racing and a good stage. Alaphilippe again showing that he one if the best all rounders but finally getting mugged by the 2 skinny Colombians. Great stuff. If this is the new Ineos I love it .
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    inseine said:

Great to see proper racing and a good stage. Alaphilippe again showing that he one if the best all rounders but finally getting mugged by the 2 skinny Colombians. Great stuff. If this is the new Ineos I love it .

It's easier when you have the best riders in the race. Just like it was at the giro last year. It'll be more interesting when they have a full team against a strong field
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Bela Lugosi’s (not) Dead
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    just 'watched' the finish of Almeria on catch-up. Looked as though the coverage was a bit of a shambles. Cav has no luck at all. Punctured on the last lap. Nizzolo took a comfortable win ahead of Florian Sénéchal.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    edited February 2021

Then some gits were taking photos a few km past Chalet Reynard. Managed to get it in the big ring for the snap, but it was too late - I looked a disappointing wreck.

They're always there ...swines!
    gsk82 said:

But the decent to Malaucene. 22km in 24 minutes 🥰

Last time we drove back that way and had to stop half way because the car brakes were so hot they stunk the car out!

• Little stat I saw. Valverde raced for 4 years against Erik Dekker. This weekend he'll race against Dekkers son in UAE
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited February 2021

Little stat I saw. Valverde raced for 4 years against Erik Dekker. This weekend he'll race against Dekkers son in UAE

He'll have spent most of his career racing against one of the Zabels
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Little stat I saw. Valverde raced for 4 years against Erik Dekker. This weekend he'll race against Dekkers son in UAE

Is there anyone who's lined up against both Adri and Mathieu VDP? Rebellin maybe, although suspect he's not done the same races as MVDP.
  • RichN95. said:

Is there anyone who's lined up against both Adri and Mathieu VDP? Rebellin maybe, although suspect he's not done the same races as MVDP.
    In a similar vein I bet there must be a few riders who lined up against both Stephen and Nico Roche.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

RichN95. said:

In a similar vein I bet there must be a few riders who lined up against both Stephen and Nico Roche.
    1993 - 2005 is the shortest gap between the Roches.

That seems really quite long. Anyone?
  • RichN95.
    edited February 2021

For most father & son combos from the late 80s to mid 2000s, if Rebellin isn't the answer, try Malcolm Elliott. For the Roches both are correct answers
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Was about to suggest Elliott
  • RichN95. said:

Armstrong, Lance.
  • RichN95.
    Father & son age gaps:

21 Kreuziger - I think Armstrong claimed he rode against both
    23 Zabel - Four of Rik's current teammates rode with Erik (Greipel, Impey, Froome, Martin)
    25 Roche - Elliott, Rebellin, Armstrong etc
    25 Sivakov
    26 Van der Poel - Rebellin?
    27 Merckx
    28 Schleck
    28 Wiggins
    30 Bernard
    31 Phinney
    31 Gallopin
    32 Evenepoel
    43 Moser (Diego, not Francesco)
  • DeadCalm
    Brief (exceptionally so) highlights of the first stage of Haut Var up on GCN. Mollema took the win, one second ahead of Van Avermaet. No fairy tale start for Pidcock who lost over 5 minutes.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    OHN not showing as live on GCN as of now.....it'll be a real shame if that's not broadcast
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds said:

OHN not showing as live on GCN as of now.....it'll be a real shame if that's not broadcast

See the Eurosport player thread.
    Confirmed as no coverage on either GCN or the player.

Longer than previously stated coverage of this weekend though.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    Michael Woods takes the second stage of Haut Var by 2 seconds from Mollema and so moves into the lead by 1 second. Geraint Thomas seemed to be working for Narvaez who finished 3rd.
    Team My Man 2022:

• gweeds said:

Mmmm, the mystery deepens.
    According to French tv schedules, neither Belgian race is being shown next weekend on L'Equipe.
    However, the real head scratcher is this:

https://sporza.be/nl/programmagids/

Maybe Rick will know more....
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited February 2021
    This is what we want. Straight from the start, apparently Ineos went to work and.....

• I doubt that the final Sunday of Paris-Nice will have bigger names or a better GC battle than we had this afternoon.
  • DeadCalm
    That was an exciting final stage of Haut Var.
    Team My Man 2022:

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Properly nuts that.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Just done the catch up on today's Alpes Maritime then UAE. Good races both. Very different scenery. Being dUK resident aka locked-in, I would welcome some sunshine.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    What's the difference between cyclocross form (fitness) and road cycling form and mtb form?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    edited February 2021
    m.r.m. said:

What's the difference between cyclocross form (fitness) and road cycling form and mtb form?

I'm no expert but I think cyclocross requires quite a lot of short intense efforts but only during an hour, while road is more longer sustained efforts within several hours. No idea about MTB
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    m.r.m. said:

In all three you sit on a saddle, hold some bars and turn pedals with your feet and legs.

There's really not actually much difference...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    MvdP and WVA regularly differentiate between those without talking specifics. One trainer of WVA stated that he carries some extra upper body muscle during cyclocross that they try to get rid off by limiting his protein intake a little in Tenerife. Was wondering what the other specifics could be since you do intervals as a road rider as well.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Does anyone know the nature of the mechanicals that befell Israel Start-Up on the last stage? Thanks.

DD.