S*** Small Races Thread - 2021

Comments

• Does anyone know the nature of the mechanicals that befell Israel Start-Up on the last stage? Thanks.

DD.

Hugo Hofsetter and Dan Martin had the mechanicals, so they had to slow down the chase to wait for them.
    I don't know the nature of the mechanicals.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95. said:

Father & son age gaps:

21 Kreuziger - I think Armstrong claimed he rode against both
    23 Zabel - Four of Rik's current teammates rode with Erik (Greipel, Impey, Froome, Martin)
    25 Roche - Elliott, Rebellin, Armstrong etc
    25 Sivakov
    26 Van der Poel - Rebellin?
    27 Merckx
    28 Schleck
    28 Wiggins
    30 Bernard
    31 Phinney
    31 Gallopin
    32 Evenepoel
    43 Moser (Diego, not Francesco)

Did they all line up against both or in some cases just active at the same time?
    PCS has a 'head to head' function - I looked at Rebellin v MVDP and it didn't return any results from the same races.

It does tell us that Malcolm Elliott lined up against Nicolas Roche at the 2009 Tour of Britain - Elliott would have been 48 at the time - he finished 16th on GC - 1 place ahead of Dan Lloyd.

Last results on the site for Roman K senior are 1992 and nothing against Armstrong - doesn't mean it's comprehensive tho.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,686
    Bad news from the UAE Tour.

Reports of a positive test from the Alpecin-Fenix team and them being withdrawn from the race.

I suppose it was inevitable at some stage. Hopefully the protocols in place prevent any other positives and the racing continues.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Is it true that Valverde has raced against M Van Der Poel, A Van Der Poel and Raymond Poulidor?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Alpecin and MVDP out of UAE tour after a staff member tests positive.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    ddraver said:
    Wonder if they would do the same if it happened in, say, the TdF.

Sporza already speculating Van der Poel might do the Omloop instead now.
  • arnuf said:

ddraver said:
    Wonder if they would do the same if it happened in, say, the TdF.

Sporza already speculating Van der Poel might do the Omloop instead now.
    And sounds like Sporza viewers will be the only ones who gets to see if he does..... (as per Eurosport player thread).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Ah that's a disaster.

Also you don't know if you'll make a full recovery or not (stories coming out of the NFL of players who had it and their performance was very up and down thereafter).
  • gweeds

Ah that's a disaster.

Also you don't know if you'll make a full recovery or not (stories coming out of the NFL of players who had it and their performance was very up and down thereafter).

A couple of Premier League players had pretty mild symptoms but have struggled since.

It’s not ideal for a pro athlete at all.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Ah that's a disaster.

It's lucky that the staff member won't be riding the classics then, although I don't think his recovery will have much of an effect on MvDP's performance. ;)

The french rugby team is in a far worse position with 9 of their players who took the field against Ireland, positive and unable to play against Scotland, this weekend.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    edited February 2021
    Might as well post this as they are the team everyone looks at to try and gauge the chances of the rest:

Deceuninck Quick-Step squad for Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 2021

Julian Alaphilippe (FRA)
    Kasper Asgreen (DEN)
    Davide Ballerini (ITA)
    Tim Declercq (BEL)
    Yves Lampaert (BEL)
    Florian Sénéchal (FRA)
    Zdenek Stybar (CZE)

Deceuninck – Quick-Step squad for Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne

Kasper Asgreen (DEN)
    Alvaro Jose Hodeg Chagui (COL)
    Yves Lampaert (BEL)
    Stijn Steels (BEL)
    Jannik Steimle (GER)
    Zdenek Stybar (CZE)
    Bert Van Lerberghe (BEL)
  • Might as well post this as they are the team everyone looks at to try and gauge the chances of the rest:

Deceuninck Quick-Step squad for Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 2021

Julian Alaphilippe (FRA)
    Kasper Asgreen (DEN)
    Davide Ballerini (ITA)
    Tim Declercq (BEL)
    Yves Lampaert (BEL)
    Florian Sénéchal (FRA)
    Zdenek Stybar (CZE)

Deceuninck – Quick-Step squad for Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne

Kasper Asgreen (DEN)
    Alvaro Jose Hodeg Chagui (COL)
    Yves Lampaert (BEL)
    Stijn Steels (BEL)
    Jannik Steimle (GER)
    Zdenek Stybar (CZE)
    Bert Van Lerberghe (BEL)

I’ve totally lost track, is this on Eurosport but not on GCN?
  • gweeds
    KBK is on both.

OHN is on neither.
  • Criterium de Dauphine mirrors the Tour by a returning to a more traditional route that includes a time trial and fewer mountains.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/criterium-du-dauphine-route-230690
  • rick_chasey
    Tom D picked a good time to take a sabatical...
  • MvDP had no close contact with staff member, so will be riding Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, subject to a negative test 24 hours before kick off.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mathieu-van-der-poel-heads-home-for-omloop-het-nieuwsblad/
  • rick_chasey

MvDP had no close contact with staff member, so will be riding Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, subject to a negative test 24 hours before kick off.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mathieu-van-der-poel-heads-home-for-omloop-het-nieuwsblad/

Praise be. Good news.
  • Conspiracy theorists will no doubt cry foul and claim this was the plan all along :*
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,686
    Imagine having a little bet on OHN safely in the knowledge that MVDP was going to be thousands of miles away. Then you get this good news!
  • rick_chasey
    I suspect you don't have to imagine, haha
  • Criterium de Dauphine mirrors the Tour by a returning to a more traditional route that includes a time trial and fewer mountains.

Some good stages to finish off in this
  • rick_chasey

Criterium de Dauphine mirrors the Tour by a returning to a more traditional route that includes a time trial and fewer mountains.

Only a 10mile TT mind.

I suspect Dowsett will fancy it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Did I just hear the sound of an entire peloton sighing in relief?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Shame
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • What’s with Oliver Nansen “jibe”?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I don't know the background in full but he got dropped on the Tiegemberg by Gilbert and GVA in E3 and think he has had problems with it on other occasions (possible Belgian nationals that did it 14 times). It's a response to his own joke (on Twitter a few weeks ago from memory) about it.
  • rick_chasey

What’s with Oliver Nansen “jibe”?

Always gets dropped on it when they start racing up it