S*** Small Races Thread - 2021

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657

ddraver said:

gweeds said:
    I saw that... his 12.5 min power is better than my 1 min PB :'(

Beast.
    Yeah, but surely he's heavier than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Clutching at straws!

Hahahaha

He would have to be about sixty kilos heavier than me for that to add up...
    Zwift has turned you into a Numbers Obsessive... ;)
    I already was, don't think Zwift had much to do with it... Although before Zwift I pretty much only looked at FTP, which means my power over 1 or 2 mins and less is completely rubbish.

We had a club e-hill climb last night (on a 2 min hill on Zwift). Thought I had done pretty well, 446 watts for 1 min and 422 for 2 mins (both decent PBs, 6.4 and 6.1 w/kg), but it was only good enough for 10th :'(

My power curve is more of a gentle slope than a curve...
    I've a new turbo that I can use indoors now but it's still only Virtual Watts* I'm amazed by how different the watts can be with really tiny changes in tyre pressure or adjustment...rather depressing really having put myself through the Sufferfest 4D test last night 🥵

(* smart trainers are currently going to more than RRP second hand on ebay right now! Ffffcuk that!!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,185
    Bit annoying having Bahrain and Arkea with matching tops.
  • orraloon
    Nice finish by Ballerini.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,228
    orraloon said:

Nice finish by Ballerini.

Yep. Deceunik deserved that.

Decent race. Trio caught with 2km to go. Alaphillipe slots into the lead out. Demarre goes too early into a head wind and Ballerini comes around him at the last.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

gweeds said:
    Yes, though what's the consensus view on his peloton positioning?

Or are we saying it's irrelevant as when it matters he will have Rowe?
    I'm not sure - mainly because he was sold as a TT rider but now seems a lot more. I suspect a drier day would suit him better but the race is such a bloody lottery anyway.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,395
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

gweeds said:
    I saw that... his 12.5 min power is better than my 1 min PB :'(

Beast.
    Yeah, but surely he's heavier than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Clutching at straws!

Hahahaha

He would have to be about sixty kilos heavier than me for that to add up...
    Zwift has turned you into a Numbers Obsessive... ;)
    I already was, don't think Zwift had much to do with it... Although before Zwift I pretty much only looked at FTP, which means my power over 1 or 2 mins and less is completely rubbish.

We had a club e-hill climb last night (on a 2 min hill on Zwift). Thought I had done pretty well, 446 watts for 1 min and 422 for 2 mins (both decent PBs, 6.4 and 6.1 w/kg), but it was only good enough for 10th :'(

My power curve is more of a gentle slope than a curve...
    I've a new turbo that I can use indoors now but it's still only Virtual Watts* I'm amazed by how different the watts can be with really tiny changes in tyre pressure or adjustment...rather depressing really having put myself through the Sufferfest 4D test last night 🥵

(* smart trainers are currently going to more than RRP second hand on ebay right now! Ffffcuk that!!)
    Yeah, I trained like that for about 3 years, but got a Kickr in October '19 which turned out to be pretty fortuitous. We also bought a new TV around the same time and never got around to getting rid of the old one, so I also get to Zwift on the old 38" TV...

I did get good training results using virtual power on trainerroad, but like you say it can be a bit weird when you get on the turbo and it is really easy or really hard for no obvious reason, then it turns out tyre pressure has dropped by 10psi for some reason or you've nudged the resistance lever. I did generally find it quite consistent though if you keep the tension the same and check the pressures before use, and so long as it's consistent you can train to it.

You could maybe look at a cheaper or second hand crank-based PM, they seem to be available at the moment. That would solve those issues and be useful if you ride that bike outdoors too - still a fair chunk of cash to part with though.
  • ddraver
    That's exactly the plan...

A PM is a significantly smaller chunk of cash than a smart trainer at the moment.
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    Not much happening in the race but quite liking the commentary on Provence.
  • The weather there is similar to where I am today. Which makes me feel a little better about life.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,567
    DeadCalm said:

Not much happening in the race but quite liking the commentary on Provence.

They're my favourite already. Yesterday when nothing was happening they were discussing safety protocols and riders reactions. They're proper cycling geeks so always seem to have something to say, without making things up just to fill gaps.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • orraloon
    Which feed are you on? I have Eurosport ad-free which is also commentator-free. Ambient sound. But awkward to work out who is who. And PCS are not live tracking.
  • gsk82
    I've got it ad free on eurosport too, but with commentary. It's on the app
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • DeadCalm
    I'm on GCN.
  • DeadCalm
    I do like that leader's jersey.
  • orraloon
    Hmm. I'll need to fish around. Think I have an older version of app, has the red icon, but cannot find ad free with commentary option. This is iPad app casting via apple tv box to big screen.

I'll have a fossick after the stage finishes.
  • DeadCalm
    Alaphilippe. WTF happened there?
  • orraloon
    Did he go the other side of the roundabout?
  • DeadCalm
    orraloon said:

Did he go the other side of the roundabout?

No clue. Lol.

Ballerini with the win. Alaphilippe brought down by Vlasov. Seems okay.
  • orraloon
    Démare rolling in +10 minutes.

Anyway, what I have learned today. There is a language setting option on the Player, mine was set to 'qis', reset to English and lo, the commentators. 😳
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    orraloon said:

Démare rolling in +10 minutes.

Anyway, what I have learned today. There is a language setting option on the Player, mine was set to 'qis', reset to English and lo, the commentators. 😳

They've been really good so far in my opinion. Even in the quiet bits it's cycling related filler and they've been simultaneously informative and amusingly self-deprecating about their time in the pro-peloton.
  • orraloon
    I see, or indeed hear what you mean. Now that I've worked out the language setting gizmo on the Player app. Lot of chatter but relevant, unlike e.g. Kirbyman who does in my nut.

Looks as cold in the Provence as it is in dUk.
  • gsk82
    Is lutsenko really the favourite for the stage?
  • orraloon
    Not now 😊
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Good to see Bernal fit again
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • orraloon
    Nice win Ivan Sosa.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,156
    Enjoyed that stage. - much better than seeing a train. Shame we missed the final Alaphilippe Bernal shootout, but great to see some proper racing again.
  • orraloon
    There was a replay bit, Bernal as expected sat on until 200m or so to go then left JA. Well played Ineos, Bernal on t'radio lots keeping Sosa posted on status.

Was a good watch. Still on my to-do is the Ventoux. Maybe maybe when / if the world regains some semblance of usual.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    orraloon said:

Was a good watch. Still on my to-do is the Ventoux. Maybe maybe when / if the world regains some semblance of usual.

It’s a brute. Matt Stephens and Dan Lloyd talked about it and were pretty bang on with my experience. No hairpins for big sections of 9%+...etc. Essentially, though, I shot my bolt with excitement in the first (steep) 5km and never recovered.
    Then some gits were taking photos a few km past Chalet Reynard. Managed to get it in the big ring for the snap, but it was too late - I looked a disappointing wreck.
  • gsk82
    The day I did it in 2011 it was 34 degrees. It was also around noon so the trees provided no shade, but at the same time they blocked out any fresh air. The head wind after Chalet Reynard was a relief. It was the first mountain I'd ever ridden up which didn't help either.

But the decent to Malaucene. 22km in 24 minutes 🥰