S*** Small Races Thread - 2021

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,393
    Just wait - it'll be a gravel race soon enough... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    Leo Hayter makes good use of his current form, following up his u23 LBL win with a nearly 20 km solo break to win the second stage of the Tour de Bretagne.
  • Giro di Sicilia - 27 degrees, sunny but not the most scenic part of agricultural Sicily for most of the televised part of stage 1.

Good finish where Albanese nearly stole the win by attacking with 1km to go through a twisty flat finish, but Richeze went off the front of the peloton with Molano who sprinted past Albanese on the line.
  • And stage 1 of the CRO race coming to a sprint finish in a somewhat narrow looking circuit.
  • And stage 1 of the CRO race coming to a sprint finish in a somewhat narrow looking circuit.

Bauhaus takes a sprint with some astonishingly bad camera work. Drifted a long way off a straight line in the sprint when just in front of Olav Kooij, but I don't think he was ever going to get beaten.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,344
    Richeze is just a boss.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m. said:

Richeze is just a boss.

I don't know who it was that lost the wheel, but they were left for dead.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    Molano and UAE in a different class to win Stage 2 in Sicily. The rider on Molano's wheel when he started his sprint couldn't even hold him let alone try to pass.
  • Pross
    Tour of Eurometropole may get interesting, there's a bit of breeze that could come into play apparently. Just over 70km to go.
  • Pross
    edited September 2021
    Rowe has smashed the race up, Ineos are getting some good practice for Sunday here. Small lead group of around 20 includes Rowe, Kwia and Golas with a big gap over the main peloton. Suspect the peloton may soon split further.

Edit - lead group is probably more like 30-40 riders, it tends to look smaller from the front than from the side and rear.
  • Pross
    UAE rider messing around in the lead group so one of the Ineos riders more or less barges him out of the way. Lead group has 39" with 43km to go.
  • Pross
    Peloton managed to get the lead group back with around 5km to go and despite a few attempts at late breaks it came down to a bunch sprint won by Jakobsen.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Tour Down Under, Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race canceled again for 2022
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Bit more scenic in Sicily today.

Could be an over the hill race in more ways by the looks of it today. 2km to go.
  • Grandpa takes the win, and then looks over his shoulder after the finish line, rides over one of those cable cover ramps and falls off.
  • CRO race is the one for scenery today though.
  • Grandpa takes the win, and then looks over his shoulder after the finish line, rides over one of those cable cover ramps and falls off.

I have every sympathy with Valverde – a moment's inattentiveness after crossing the line (he turned to look backwards) and he ended up cutting open his left arm.
    Similar happened to me once after I'd crossed the line (however, unlike Valverde, nothing like as race winner) - I didn't notice a double row of these evil things across the road, and it was my right arm I cut open and badly damaged.

They weren't just 20 m over the line either, as was the cable covering in Valverde's case, but a good 100 m distant, so I should have noticed, but I think I had my head bent down, looking at my race time on the cyclometer.
  • andyp
    Vincenzo Nibali takes the final stage and the overall at the Giro di Sicilia. Attacked about 4 kms from the summit of the final climb, built a gap and won solo by 50 seconds or so from the chasing group.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited October 2021
    andyp said:

Vincenzo Nibali takes the final stage and the overall at the Giro di Sicilia. Attacked about 4 kms from the summit of the final climb, built a gap and won solo by 50 seconds or so from the chasing group.

Bizarrely gets handed a bottle of Harrogate mineral water by his helper at the finish.
  • Pogacar, Roglic and Evenepoel all at the GP Emilia tomorrow.
    Unlike live coverage outside of Italy.
    (unless anyone knows differently)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339
    jimmyjams said:

Grandpa takes the win, and then looks over his shoulder after the finish line, rides over one of those cable cover ramps and falls off.

I have every sympathy with Valverde – a moment's inattentiveness after crossing the line (he turned to look backwards) and he ended up cutting open his left arm.
    Similar happened to me once after I'd crossed the line (however, unlike Valverde, nothing like as race winner) - I didn't notice a double row of these evil things across the road, and it was my right arm I cut open and badly damaged.

They weren't just 20 m over the line either, as was the cable covering in Valverde's case, but a good 100 m distant, so I should have noticed, but I think I had my head bent down, looking at my race time on the cyclometer.
    What the hell are those, where are they, who designed them and is anybody up for getting some pitchforks and burning torches and paying them a visit?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp

Really pleased for Stevie Williams to get his first pro win today in the Cro Race. He's had to come back from a very serious knee injury so it's great to see that he's fit and healthy and getting the chance to confirm the talent he showed in the u23 ranks.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 714

jimmyjams said:

Grandpa takes the win, and then looks over his shoulder after the finish line, rides over one of those cable cover ramps and falls off.

What the hell are those, where are they, who designed them and is anybody up for getting some pitchforks and burning torches and paying them a visit?

They are aluminium discs glued to the roadway surface as a traffic-calming measure where car speeds no higher than 30 km/hr are wanted. They are judged unsafe for cyclists to ride directly over when travelling at 10 km/hr or more. I've encountered them in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (although in the latter two countries, they are sometimes of yellow plastic, not always of metal), while I've been told they or very similar are used in South Africa and Brazil too. I don't know about elsewhere.

I have heard of other cyclists than myself crashing on them, in one case 10 years ago a femur fracture being sustained. He lost his case for damages because, between kerb and the closest disc, there was about 40 cms of space, through which the court judged a cyclist could/should ride (he rode over them). Since then and other similar court cases, in Germany the minimum space required between kerb and first disc (for passage of cyclists) has been increased to 80-100 cms.
    In my case, I don't know if there was a passageway at the side for cyclists, I only noticed them when I was on the floor.
  • In what world are they better than a normal bump?
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,949

In what world are they better than a normal bump?

The "I want to pretend to slow cars down but I really hate cyclists" world.
  • Pross

In what world are they better than a normal bump?

Harder to hit square on? The material is far from ideal too, especially if wet.
  • Talking of heavyweight podiums, that's some top 10 in Emilia today.

Roglic, Almeida, Woods, Yates and Evenepoel in that order were the only riders within a minute.

Talking of riders finishing, the all star UAE team managed Ulissi in 8th.
    Pogacar, Hirschi, Formolo, Conti and Majka all climbed off.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    andyp said:

Really pleased for Stevie Williams to get his first pro win today in the Cro Race. He's had to come back from a very serious knee injury so it's great to see that he's fit and healthy and getting the chance to confirm the talent he showed in the u23 ranks.
    Looked really overwhelmed after he’d won . Nice touch when he gives his bottle to young cyclist after the finish.
  • Guess who won Andre Greipel's last pro race, today?

Mark Cavendish. :D