Other sports worth following

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

One of the things I enjoy in sport are the (usually retrospective) tales of kids being incredibly talented.

Having disappeared done a MLB rabbit hole I found myself watching Little League Baseball on BT.

The game was South Dakota v California, a game absolutely dominated by a 12 year old pitcher Gavin Weir.

In his last 8 games he's thrown 600 pitches and given up only 1 hit*

Struck out 114 of 132 batters

An amazing moment came in the game against California. It seems there's a rule that if a Little Pitcher throws more than 65 pitches they must be rested for 3 days. The coach comes out to mound, agrees that Weir continues, he continues to demolish the California team knowing he can't play in either the semi or final

ETA... Seems he can play but not pitch

ETA 2...his South Dakota team have just lost their semifinal to Ohio

If you have Disney plus I'd recommend the 30 for 30 film, Little Big Men, which covers the American team who managed to break a historic streak of wins by Taiwan.

•   Well I watched the MotoGP at Silverstone yesterday, on TV. I’m glad I did watch it… but Silverstone and motorcycles, not sure, perhaps it’s too flat.
    bye-bye Valentino, bye-bye Cal

Much prefer watching motorcycles at Donington or Brands Hatch, the rise and fall of the track seem to add so much more than one dimension to the whole viewing experience.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Well I watched the MotoGP at Silverstone yesterday, on TV. I’m glad I did watch it… but Silverstone and motorcycles, not sure, perhaps it’s too flat.

Much prefer watching motorcycles at Donington or Brands Hatch, the rise and fall of the track seem to add so much more than one dimension to the whole viewing experience.

Never understood the love of silverstone anyway for F1.
    Brands Hatch was always visually more interesting I thought.
    No doubt a layman’s ignorant view. I always enjoyed Spa as well but maybe a reminder this weekend of the downside to Spa.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,102
    Rollerskiing

https://youtu.be/fMYiYollWe8

even a British winner here

https://youtu.be/MFOll8LvsgE
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • morstar
    davidof said:

Rollerskiing

https://youtu.be/fMYiYollWe8

even a British winner here

https://youtu.be/MFOll8LvsgE

Musgrave is pretty decent. Has taken the same approach British cyclists used to and embedded himself in a nation where they take a sport seriously.
    He’s not quite the cream of the crop but is a serious top flight competitor in cross country skiing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    morstar said:

Well I watched the MotoGP at Silverstone yesterday, on TV. I’m glad I did watch it… but Silverstone and motorcycles, not sure, perhaps it’s too flat.

No doubt a layman’s ignorant view. I always enjoyed Spa as well but maybe a reminder this weekend of the downside to Spa.
    Lots of fast corners which really show off the the best part of F1 cars.

It’s been a while but I’ve been to 5 Grand Prixs.

Straights are dull and slow corners don’t really have that visceral excitement - 50-60mph isn’t all that.
  • morstar

morstar said:

Lots of fast corners which really show off the the best part of F1 cars.

It’s been a while but I’ve been to 5 Grand Prixs.

Straights are dull and slow corners don’t really have that visceral excitement - 50-60mph isn’t all that.
    Brands Hatch whilst not the sheer speed fest of silverstone is hardly touting any 50-60 mph bends.
  • British 18yr old Emma Raducanu playing phenominally well at the US open this year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58469496
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,801

British 18yr old Emma Raducanu playing phenominally well at the US open this year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58469496

Now into the semis having beaten the Olympic champion. Hasn't dropped a set yet.
  • Mayo beat 6 in a row winners Dublin in the semis, to reach the All Ireland Gaelic Football final

Why is this going to interest the forum?

Well its one of the great 'curse' stories in sport

The story goes that the winning team Mayo team of 1951 were travelling back from Dublin when they met a funeral procession. They refused to suspend their celebrations as they passed the cortege. A priest or gypsy, the story isn't clear, put a curse on the county that they'd never win another title until all the 1951 team were dead

Since then they've reached 10 finals and lost all 10. (3 after replays)

Only 1 member of the '51 survives. If you Google search Mayo GAA one of the top searches is' Has Paddy Pendergast died yet?'

I posted about this before last years final defeat to Dublin.

It happened in Foxford where my family are from.

It's the sheer volume of finals they've been in in the last 20 years and lost them all which makes it incredible.

Just very unlucky to come up against Dublin who are the greatest team of all time.

Kerry still huge favourites to win it.

My Grandad and Great uncle have both passed without seeing Mayo win it again since 51. I will be an emotional mess if they finally win Sam.

The head went on Saturday watching the game. My neighbours must have been miffed and wondered what was going on.

Tyrone knock out Kerry in the Semi finals

Tyrone v Mayo in the final
    Absolutely buzzing for Saturday.

Tyrone proper brought it to Kerry.

This is the best chance Mayo will get but Tyrone's 'everybodies against us' spirit makes it a complete 50/50.

Do Mayo start Aiden O'Shea and try and match Tyrone physically or go with the team that battered Dublin in that second half?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited September 2021
    So, Raducanu has made the US open final, 6-1, 6-4.

Don't think she's dropped a set yet.

She plays the 19 year old number 73 ranked Fernandez in the final. So quite the unexpected match-up.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I think Emma has a better head to head.

You're right in that she hasn't dropped a set so far.

What a story.
  • What happened to all the ranked players?
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,517

What happened to all the ranked players?

Radacanu and Fernandez by the look of it!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • What happened to all the ranked players?

Raducanu has only beaten one player in the top ten. Actually only beaten one player in the top ten ever!
  • The weirdos on socials have decided that she's Canadian. Must be something they don't like about her, but I struggle to put my finger on what it might be.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,517

What happened to all the ranked players?

Raducanu has only beaten one player in the top ten. Actually only beaten one player in the top ten ever!
    A more complete answer to your question:

Fernandez knocked out Osaka (3) in Rd 3
    Sakkari (17) knocked out Kvitova (10) in Rd 3
    Rogers knocked out Barty (1) in Rd 3
    Krejcikova (8) knocked out Murguruza (9) in Rd 4
    Sakkari (17) knocked out Andreescu (6) in Rd 4
    Bencic (11) knocked out Swiatek (7) in Rd 4
    Fernandez knocked out Svitolina (5) in QF
    Sabalenka (2) knocked out Krejcikova (8) in QF
    Sakkari (17) knocked out Pliskova (4) in QF
    Fernandez knocked out Sabalenka (2) in SF

Wilier Izoard XP
  • Nice - Fernandez and Sakkari have done the heavy lifting there!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424
    First qualifier (both men or women) to ever reach a GS final.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,636
    elbowloh said:

So, Raducanu has made the US open final, 6-1, 6-4.

Don't think she's dropped a set yet.

She plays the 19 year old number 73 ranked Fernandez in the final. So quite the unexpected match-up.

Hopefully she deals with the final final in the same surreal way she has with the other rounds and reality doesn’t hit home. Great opportunity, new to the slams and everything coming so easily. The public Wimbledon meltdown may have stood her in good stead.

Seems strong on both hands with good depth of shot, is quick around the court and being so new, nobody has worked out how to play her yet. I’d say she was favourite but wouldn’t want to jinx her.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,671
    There is a touch of England's 2021 Euro's about it for sure. Hopefully, she can pull it off tho...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    edited September 2021
    NFL Season has started again. Woohoo!

I fully understand why most people this side of the Atlantic don't get it. But to me I just love the sport. Every game is its own final with every team in each regional division and conference having history against each other. Just makes for great sport.

Also the old guard of QBs (Brady, Rodgers, Prescott, Wilson) lining up against the new kids on the block (Mahomes, Lawrence, Mayfield) just makes for added interest.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo said:

I fully understand why most people this side of the Atlantic don't get it. But to me I just love the sport. Every game is its own final with every team in each regional division and conference having history against each other. Just makes for great sport.

Also the old guard of QBs (Brady, Rodgers, Prescott, Wilson) lining up against the new kids on the block (Mahomes, Lawrence, Mayfield) just makes for added interest.

I followed it for several years when C4 originally had coverage, but gradually lost interest.
    So, I understand it, but as with almost all US sports, it lacks any sense of flow.
    Great for tv ad breaks though.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

mr_goo said:

I followed it for several years when C4 originally had coverage, but gradually lost interest.
    So, I understand it, but as with almost all US sports, it lacks any sense of flow.
    Great for tv ad breaks though.
    Redzone is your friend on that one
  • Mayo beat 6 in a row winners Dublin in the semis, to reach the All Ireland Gaelic Football final

The story goes that the winning team Mayo team of 1951 were travelling back from Dublin when they met a funeral procession. They refused to suspend their celebrations as they passed the cortege. A priest or gypsy, the story isn't clear, put a curse on the county that they'd never win another title until all the 1951 team were dead

Only 1 member of the '51 survives. If you Google search Mayo GAA one of the top searches is' Has Paddy Pendergast died yet?'

The curse extends to 11 finals. 11 losses.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,636

Mayo beat 6 in a row winners Dublin in the semis, to reach the All Ireland Gaelic Football final

Someone should have rubbed out Paddy Pendergast.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn said:

Mayo beat 6 in a row winners Dublin in the semis, to reach the All Ireland Gaelic Football final

seanoconn said:

Surprised he was able to get a vaccine
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • elbowloh
    Wow, what a performance by Raducanu in the final. Handled the nerves really well and wins the tournament without dropping a set.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,671
    FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKK ME!!!!!!

Not many sports events have given me those feels for a while...!!!

That was epic!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    ddraver said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKK ME!!!!!!

Not many sports events have given me those feels for a while...!!!

That was epic!

Very high quality match. Would have been great if they made it a best of 5 sets just so we could have seen more
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk