Other sports worth following

1151617181921»

Comments

• Breakdancing is being ditched, and maybe boxing and weightlifting.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593

Breakdancing is being ditched, and maybe boxing and weightlifting.

All boxing? Breakdancing won't be a loss, I assume that was something the French wanted to add as Paris is the first (and now last)? Weightlifting is a bit boring as a spectator sport but does at least seem to satisfy the Olympic motto.
  • Pross said:

All boxing? Breakdancing won't be a loss, I assume that was something the French wanted to add as Paris is the first (and now last)? Weightlifting is a bit boring as a spectator sport but does at least seem to satisfy the Olympic motto.
    Weightlifting and boxing are not doubtful for anything to do with the actual sports - weightlifting because it's been riddled with doping, but it seems to be back in now for 2028. Boxing is on hold because of corruption in the federation.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Pross said:

Weightlifting and boxing are not doubtful for anything to do with the actual sports - weightlifting because it's been riddled with doping, but it seems to be back in now for 2028. Boxing is on hold because of corruption in the federation.
    Surely 'visible' corruption is the issue. I mean, what's the point in a sporting governing body if there's no corruption?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    morstar said:

Pross said:

Surely 'visible' corruption is the issue. I mean, what's the point in a sporting governing body if there's no corruption?
    Corruption! Should fit in nicely with the IOC then.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420

Pross said:

I’ll miss the weightlifting, watched some epic battles over the years and the doping doesn’t bother me. May the best most doped athlete win. Boxing however seems to be rotten to the core at all levels. Every fight a decision is required you expect corruption, farcical.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389

So . . . darts anyone?

Wilier Izoard XP
  • seanoconn

Watched most of the oldest looking 16year old in the World, Littler’s games and he’s a bit bloody brilliant. Not phased being on stage with crowd chanting his name and seems to be coping well with all the media attention.

In yesterday’s semi against former champ Rob Cross, Littler started pretty well but had a bit of bad luck with bounce outs and some of his darts blocking triples. Cross was playing well and looking like he’d take a two set lead against an increasing irritated Littler. At just 16 I thought he’d done so well but that the wheels were about to come off and hoped it wouldn’t be too embarrassing for the lad. Wrong! That boy’s got some real grit and determination to go with his super smooth throw. When millimetres is the difference between playing well or poorly, a smooth, consistent action under pressure is paramount and Littler’s arm is up there with the best, John Lowe and Ted Hankey (maybe the less said about him the better) spring to mind. Littler’s throw is almost too good and grouping is so tight that some darts bounce off each other as they fight to go in the same hole!

final prediction Littler 7-6 Humphries.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited January 3

Good ol' Ted Hankey. He's in prison now for sexual assault, right? Can't mention him without posting this:

• seanoconn

😂

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Just whatever do you, don't say Hail Littler.

• seanoconn

😂

you’re on form today Rick.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935

I thought this was a thread about sother sports, not bar games!

Littler is pretty good mind, but suspect he has a dodgy birth certificate!

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389

Genuine question: Do you consider Archery a sport?

Wilier Izoard XP
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    edited January 3

Well I wouldn't consider archery a bar game! I don't consider snooker or pool to be sports either, they're also bar games. That doesn't mean that at the top level rhere isn't a huge amount of skill and mental toughness.

Yes, I'd consider it a sport.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 678

There's only 3 real sports: hunting, shooting & fishing. All the rest are just games.

Ask the question: am I best wearing a sports jacket to participate in this activity?

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593

Surely that is just one sport as shooting or fishing are types of hunting.

• wakemalcolm

No, if you want to bracket the sports, I think savagery is probably the best umbrella. As far as I understand the fox (or deer) is the only one that needs to be hunted. It's largely known where the fish and the grouse are.

I own neither a gun nor a sports jacket so I'm no expert.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

Oooh no, I'm sorry but I think running, jumping and lifting heavy things also count.

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

I think that to make hunting a sport then humans should only be allowed to use the tools they are born with.

Probably one for the unpopular opinion thread. 😉

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • wakemalcolm

But the tournaments where people gather to celebrate those endeavours are referred to as 'games', eg Olympic games or Highland games.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 397

If we are talking games what about the great game. Just a minor war between Great Britain and Russia.

• seanoconn

Just forked out £140 for a dartboard, surround and led lighting for the kids and maybe one big kid. Damn you Luke Littler!