Other sports worth following

Comments

• Any interest in Ryder Cup starting on Friday? Ladies did very well to bring it back to 8-8 by all accounts. Should be a good one.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Haven't got back to watching golf on the TV since Peter Alliss left us.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620

Any interest in Ryder Cup starting on Friday? Ladies did very well to bring it back to 8-8 by all accounts. Should be a good one.

Should be closer than last time. We've got 3 of world's top 4 in the team and home advantage but Yanks as usual have a bit more strength in depth.
  • mrb123
    Hot start from the Europeans. Turned TV on 20 mins ago and first shot I saw was Rahmbo hitting the pin on a par 3.

Mrs B has Covid but sadly I've tested negative so have to go to work...
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,936
    All blue at the moment. Very promising start.

But then the US ladies battered us in the first session last week.

Long way to go.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    so four so good
  • JimD666
    There was some red on the tv. Switched it off and back on and it had gone. Nice to see it was just a glitch....

😉
  • mrb123
    Fitzpatrick 5 putts in 5 holes!
  • I wonder how many people are sat in the stands around the 18th green.
  • JimD666
    mrb123 said:

6 in 6!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    mrb123 said:

Now 6 in 6!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • JimD666
    No match won by the US for the entire day.

So sad.....
  • Two incredible finishes, fair play to the people who spent all day at the 18th green waiting.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    JimD666 said:

No match won by the US for the entire day.

So sad.....

First time ever too.
  • JimD666
    Good start from Europe. I'm actually starting to hope the US improve.

I watch sport for a contest. This isn't one. Not yet anyway
  • mrb123
    Humiliation for Brooks and Scottie.
  • JimD666
    9&7 😱😱
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    What was it all about?
  • What was it all about?
    I'm not too sure. I think it was regarding a caddy.

Hang on...

• The Yank caddy getting enthusiastic about the win it seems.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593
    Making hard work of it in the singles.
  • mrb123
    Pross said:

Making hard work of it in the singles.

Exciting day. The Cantlay win last night made a game of it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,273
    edited October 2023
    But now they tie the singles. Very exciting
  • JimD666
    All the damage was done on the first day. Looked like the US were making a fight of it but in the end fairly comprehensive win.
  • Pross
    So what is being ditched from the Olympics to make way for squash, lacrosse and touch American football?
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    Pross said:

So what is being ditched from the Olympics to make way for squash, lacrosse and touch American football?

I was always under the impression that squash has never featured in the Olympics due to it not being played in enough places around the world . . . the inclusion of "Flag Football" and Lacrosse seems odd if that's the case.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross

Pross said:

I was always under the impression that squash has never featured in the Olympics due to it not being played in enough places around the world . . . the inclusion of "Flag Football" and Lacrosse seems odd if that's the case.
    Flag football just feels ridiculous. It seems like the sort of thing people play as training or the kids to play until they are robust enough to play the full game like touch rugby. They'll be adding Quidditch at this rate. Squash feels deserving of a spot although it's a bit boring to watch. I don't really know much about lacrosse - I think in the UK it has always felt like something played in private girls' schools but I assume it's actually a bit more rough than that judging by the kit they all wear. Like an North American version of hurling or shinty but being North American it requires lots of PPE to play.
  • Pross said:

I don't really know much about lacrosse - I think in the UK it has always felt like something played in private girls' schools but I assume it's actually a bit more rough than that judging by the kit they all wear. Like an North American version of hurling or shinty but being North American it requires lots of PPE to play.

The gf (now wife) of my best mate at Uni was a serious Lacrosse player. By all accounts it is utterly brutal. My mate's gf said she liked it because she wasn't into the passive aggression favoured by most schoolgirls, and as a middle class, private school type, it was pretty much the only acceptable outlet for exhibiting active aggression.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Start an argument - I don't think "Muggle Quidditch" is any more strange or contrived than a lot of other sports...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver