Other sports worth following

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,532
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Anyone been watching The Hundred? Other than a few gimmicks and garish graphics I'm not really sure what it offers in cricketing terms that Twenty20 doesn't. I only saw the second innings last night and it was a bit of a bore fest. Tonight has been a bit better but still not really anything you don't see in Twenty20. I like the franchise and draft system but again they could have done that with the slightly longer format.

How does the bowling work out? Does someone have to bowl a 4 ball over?
    Multiples of 5. They can bowl 5 or 10 consecutively with a maximum total of 20. They have to bowl 95 within a set time too otherwise they have to bring an extra fielder into the circle for the final 5 balls. Other than that and a tactical time out option for the fielding team it doesn't feel much different.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    120 vs 100 balls was never likely to make a radical difference. It seemed to me to be more about who owns commercial rights than bringing anything new to the game.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    morstar said:

120 vs 100 balls was never likely to make a radical difference. It seemed to me to be more about who owns commercial rights than bringing anything new to the game.

It has got more than a whiff of English exceptionalism about it.

If you watch Morgan in the closing overs he is quite obviously cheating to disrupt the flow of the batsmen. They just needed to set a time limit with a ridiculously harsh penalty so it was never breached.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,039
    Rollerskiing, in particular this climb (next race is in August)

https://youtu.be/qLjHfxE9lnM
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    First Lions test at 5pm. Always a brutal, bruising encounter versus SA.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Mayo beat 6 in a row winners Dublin in the semis, to reach the All Ireland Gaelic Football final

Why is this going to interest the forum?

Well its one of the great 'curse' stories in sport

The story goes that the winning team Mayo team of 1951 were travelling back from Dublin when they met a funeral procession. They refused to suspend their celebrations as they passed the cortege. A priest or gypsy, the story isn't clear, put a curse on the county that they'd never win another title until all the 1951 team were dead

Since then they've reached 10 finals and lost all 10. (3 after replays)

Only 1 member of the '51 survives. If you Google search Mayo GAA one of the top searches is' Has Paddy Pendergast died yet?'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross

Mayo beat 6 in a row winners Dublin in the semis, to reach the All Ireland Gaelic Football final

The story goes that the winning team Mayo team of 1951 were travelling back from Dublin when they met a funeral procession. They refused to suspend their celebrations as they passed the cortege. A priest or gypsy, the story isn't clear, put a curse on the county that they'd never win another title until all the 1951 team were dead

Only 1 member of the '51 survives. If you Google search Mayo GAA one of the top searches is' Has Paddy Pendergast died yet?'

He must be getting worried!
  • ^ Its’ a fascinating read, truth or myth, who knows. I love this sort of story. Tom Simpson and thirteen always comes to mind when I read something like this.

I was taught by my dad to always remove my hat when a Hurst passes by, glad I took his advice – you never know! ;)
  • Pross

^ Its’ a fascinating read, truth or myth, who knows. I love this sort of story. Tom Simpson and thirteen always comes to mind when I read something like this.

I was taught by my dad to always remove my hat when a Hurst passes by, glad I took his advice – you never know! ;)

Is that in honour of 1966? Thought you were a Scot. :wink:

• Pross said:

^ Its’ a fascinating read, truth or myth, who knows. I love this sort of story. Tom Simpson and thirteen always comes to mind when I read something like this.

Is that in honour of 1966? Thought you were a Scot. :wink:

:D How the heck did it come up with that, didn't even flag it. My bad ;)
  • Mayo beat 6 in a row winners Dublin in the semis, to reach the All Ireland Gaelic Football final

I posted about this before last years final defeat to Dublin.

It happened in Foxford where my family are from.

It's the sheer volume of finals they've been in in the last 20 years and lost them all which makes it incredible.

Just very unlucky to come up against Dublin who are the greatest team of all time.

Kerry still huge favourites to win it.

My Grandad and Great uncle have both passed without seeing Mayo win it again since 51. I will be an emotional mess if they finally win Sam.

The head went on Saturday watching the game. My neighbours must have been miffed and wondered what was going on.

• Pross
    Wonder if Geraint overtook a hearse at some point?
  • tailwindhome
    Considering getting 'into' baseball

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,612

Easier to follow at a game than on TV I thought.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I occasionally watch some of an evening when there's nothing else much on. Its ok.

There's a lot of data and stats, probably even more than cricket.

Considering Americans usually like their sports high scoring and fast paced (think American Football and NBA), baseball can be the opposite, with a few innings passing without a score and pauses between each pitch. You'd have thought T20 would appeal instead, scores in the hundreds and a fast pace, scoring more than a run a ball at times.

I was in Central Park many moons ago and a few of us had a picnic and watched some teams play softball ( it was a local league, with bleachers etc)

Was quite relaxing to watch.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I'm going to recommend the Jomboy channel again...

Once you pop, you just won't stop.

Apparently I like baseball now
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,680
    160 odd baseball games a year per team

I am amazed people can follow that
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I also find it odd how the same two teams play each other multiple times on consecutive nights.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mrb123
    elbowloh said:

I also find it odd how the same two teams play each other multiple times on consecutive nights.
    This struck me when I watched the Michael Jordan basketball documentary - the NBA playoffs seemed to involve a huge number of games.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926

I was taken to a Boston Red Sox match at Fenway Park whilst on a business trip.
    It was pleasant evening and a nice atmophere but I can't say I was very enthralled at the actual match. Nice to have done it once but wouldn't be that excited to do it again.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • rick_chasey
    elbowloh said:

There is a lack of skin in the game as a result.

I went down to see the mets (and Nas was playing afterwards) and the women next to me got up after 40 mins and left.

“It’s too hot we can always come tomorrow”

In the end the nosebleed seats had the best atmosphere as they were all rap fans waiting for Nas…
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,922
    edited August 2021
    The only north American team sport worth watching is ice hockey. The rest really are poor versions of European sports.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021

The only north American team sport worth watching is ice hockey. The rest really are poor versions of European sports.

NFL works as there is jeopardy every game as there are only 17 games to decide which make the playoffs and then it’s straight knockout - no legs, no best of.

Granted you get a few dead rubbers and the end but the high stakes games make up for them.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,612
    edited August 2021

NFL works as there is jeopardy every game as there are only 17 games to decide which make the playoffs and then it’s straight knockout - no legs, no best of.

Granted you get a few dead rubbers and the end but the high stakes games make up for them.
    It's like tennis though, most of the time seems spent not playing the game.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited August 2021

Im a big hockey fan and have played and refereed the game too.
    However, much as the NHL is the pinnacle of the game, as with comments regarding other sports, they play too many games and the best of 7 play-off format makes for too many meaningless games.

Once a game is getting away, teams can switch off and think about the next one rather than trying to salvage the situation. Doesn’t make for great sport.

Having refereed some ex NHLers, I have to say they are awesome to watch up close. Just so good in every area and sublime skating skills. Passes that put some shots to shame.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,915

elbowloh said:

There is a lack of skin in the game as a result.

I went down to see the mets (and Nas was playing afterwards) and the women next to me got up after 40 mins and left.

“It’s too hot we can always come tomorrow”

In the end the nosebleed seats had the best atmosphere as they were all rap fans waiting for Nas…
    Went to a fair few Padres games in San Diego. I thought it was a lovely way to spend an evening. Good selection of food and drink, and some nice chilled sport to watch.

Didn't really like it on TV though.
  • rick_chasey

It's like tennis though, most of the time seems spent not playing the game.
    For sure, though usually everything happens so fast you spend most of time in between unpicking what you just saw.

I’ve said before but NFL Redzone is great. It’s on when there are multiple games and they flick between them all constantly so you don’t have any time without action.
  • mrb123
    Isa Guha making the Hundred final very watchable...
  • tailwindhome
    edited August 2021
    One of the things I enjoy in sport are the (usually retrospective) tales of kids being incredibly talented.

Having disappeared done a MLB rabbit hole I found myself watching Little League Baseball on BT.

The game was South Dakota v California, a game absolutely dominated by a 12 year old pitcher Gavin Weir.

In his last 8 games he's thrown 600 pitches and given up only 1 hit*

Struck out 114 of 132 batters

An amazing moment came in the game against California. It seems there's a rule that if a Little Pitcher throws more than 65 pitches they must be rested for 3 days. The coach comes out to mound, agrees that Weir continues, he continues to demolish the California team knowing he can't play in either the semi or final

ETA... Seems he can play but not pitch

ETA 2...his South Dakota team have just lost their semifinal to Ohio
  • tailwindhome

I posted about this before last years final defeat to Dublin.

It happened in Foxford where my family are from.

It's the sheer volume of finals they've been in in the last 20 years and lost them all which makes it incredible.

Just very unlucky to come up against Dublin who are the greatest team of all time.

Kerry still huge favourites to win it.

My Grandad and Great uncle have both passed without seeing Mayo win it again since 51. I will be an emotional mess if they finally win Sam.

The head went on Saturday watching the game. My neighbours must have been miffed and wondered what was going on.

Tyrone knock out Kerry in the Semi finals

Tyrone v Mayo in the final