Other sports worth following

Comments

• What a weird match.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,934
    edited February 2021
    Some pretty peed off TV companies and sponsors I'd imagine.
    The ground staff and their employers would be hauled over the coals in county cricket for a totally unsuitable wicket.
  • Some pretty peed off TV companies and sponsors I'd imagine.
    The ground staff and their employers would be hauled over the coals in county cricket for a totally unsuitable wicket.

Looked OK in the final innings.
  • Some pretty peed off TV companies and sponsors I'd imagine.

Looked OK in the final innings.
    A complete inability to play spin was the main issue this time round, the pitch certainly wasn't as bad as the last one.

England had really struggled with left arm spin from Embuldeniya when they played Sri Lanka and showed it again with Axar Patel.
  • I have been mulling over the days cricket and I have concluded for a test match to finish in two days is a farce. Some of the commentary has called it great fun but I don't see that at all.

Plus it has resulted in the ridiculous situation where day/night pink ball tests that were started in order to bring test cricket to a wider audience, a chance for people to view in the evening, has ended with a game finishing 3 days early. Also I'm a little sore that I won't have any to watch at the weekend now.
  • Formula E is pretty entertaining. Lots of proper racing, no Hamilton hour. That’s a winner.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    At times like this, I am glad this country's cricket team is called England.
    Looks like they may have saved the worst for last.
    Utter shambles.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266

At times like this, I am glad this country's cricket team is called England.
    Looks like they may have saved the worst for last.
    Utter shambles.

No way is this worse than the 3rd test.

India have been outstanding - Rishabh Pant's innings was a beauty.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I don't think they play enough tour matches outside of the tests in order to develop the skills for pitches that turn that much. It is possible to score runs as India have proved but England are having to learn how in a test match.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

I don't think they play enough tour matches outside of the tests in order to develop the skills for pitches that turn that much. It is possible to score runs as India have proved but England are having to learn how in a test match.

Thing is they started quite well with the first Test win.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266

It does also depend on the bowlers. The two who got 5fers in this second innings were just brilliant on these pitches. Bess just isn't in that league.

Anderson was outstanding for England, he's incredibly consistent. Until India got moving in the last session yesterday, England didn't look completely disastrous in this match.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    We didn't prioritise tests. We had players in form, but they play one match and send them home to rest for the shorter formats. We had players come in who were put of form, or who hadn't played for weeks.

We also picked a pace attack on spinning pitches.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Pross said:

True although Swann made the point about this that it was by setting a big total on a carpet of a pitch, after that it was turning pitches from the off.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited March 2021

Pross said:

True although Swann made the point about this that it was by setting a big total on a carpet of a pitch, after that it was turning pitches from the off.
    It was also a different team that England fielded.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited March 2021
    This seems like it's been going on for months. I'd pretty much forgotten about it.

Anyway, Congratulations New Zealand

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited March 2021
    I can't quite get over the idea that these things go at 80-90kph. Triple the wind speed.
  • ddraver

I can't quite get over the idea that these things go at 80-90kph. Triple the wind speed.

For all the stuff about the UCI stifling bike design and such, I'm rather glad that cycling still looks like the cycling that I do - if an awful lot faster.

This doesn't look like any of the sailing I've ever done.
    - @ddraver
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    edited March 2021
    Golf, Players Championship.

How often does Lee Westwood lead or feature on the leaderboard after the first couple of rounds only to blow it by the last round! All the talent but very little of the grit required. Should have won a major by now.

Says age is catching up with him but that doesn’t account for the last 10 years.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I've done a bit of sailing here and there, mostly in not-racing dinghies and yachts where you feel like you're flying if doing about 5 knots.

But it's the levitation on the foils that really gets me - I fully understand the principle, but it still looks like magic.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

Formula E is pretty entertaining. Lots of proper racing, no Hamilton hour. That’s a winner.

I seem to be the only person who likes F1.

I find it interesting that on a forum where the tiniest bit of tech is evaluated from a performance perspective, when in all likelihood it doesn't make the slightest difference, a sport where every bit of tech makes a performance difference is so derided.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I'm not familiar with the physics of sailing 3x the speed of the wind, I have to say.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Yeah I'm not familiar with the physics of sailing 3x the speed of the wind, I have to say.

Imagine you are water skiing.

If you just follow straight behind the boat, you go exactly the same speed as the boat and travel the same distance.

Now start going in zig zags behind the boat.
    You are now travelling further than the boat but boat speed remains the same, you now have to travel those zig zags faster than the boat.

Sailing is the same principle.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    What surprises me is how New Zealand have won having not been through the qualifiers and therefore having far less racing exposure at this level in this boat.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    seanoconn said:

Golf, Players Championship.

How often does Lee Westwood lead or feature on the leaderboard after the first couple of rounds only to blow it by the last round! All the talent but very little of the grit required. Should have won a major by now.

Says age is catching up with him but that doesn’t account for the last 10 years.

let me share my Westwood theory.

The top players pick a score and aim at it so they may go into the final round trying to shoot 6 under, most times they will blow up and finish well down the field but occasionally the planets will align and they will win. Westwood plays in the same manner in the finalround as he does all others and gets top 10 finishes as the others blow up trying to win.

TL:DR Westwood plays for top 10 whereas top players try and win
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I quite like F1.

I am a keen sailor - but like others - only on regular monohull yachts and dinghies.

From experience in planing dinghies (Lazer 3000, 29er) you start going so fast, get planing, reducing drag and thus creating apparent wind. When you get a foiling hull you basically generate so little drag that you create insane amounts of apparent wind.

GB sailors have had a pretty unlucky 6m with the Vendee and now the AC.

Congrats to the Kiwis.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

I quite like F1.

I am a keen sailor - but like others - only on regular monohull yachts and dinghies.

From experience in planing dinghies (Lazer 3000, 29er) you start going so fast, get planing, reducing drag and thus creating apparent wind. When you get a foiling hull you basically generate so little drag that you create insane amounts of apparent wind.

GB sailors have had a pretty unlucky 6m with the Vendee and now the AC.

Congrats to the Kiwis.

Don't know enough about the subject so could I ask whether that is just a turn of phrase or whether we have been "unlucky"
  • ddraver
    Yeah it's the close hauled upwind and also close hauled down wind bit that gets me...

Part of sail racing is dealing with spinnakers and such
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2021
    morstar said:

Imagine you are water skiing.

If you just follow straight behind the boat, you go exactly the same speed as the boat and travel the same distance.

Now start going in zig zags behind the boat.
    You are now travelling further than the boat but boat speed remains the same, you now have to travel those zig zags faster than the boat.

Sailing is the same principle.
    So they're going faster when the wind isn't directly behind them?

(I should add I do actually have a Dutch keelboat sailing licence. The vocab is quite different)
  • ddraver
    It's more complicated than what morstar is saying .

As you go faster you generate wind by passing through the air - as you do with any movement - this pushed the apparent wind further and further forward until, as I said, even though you are going with the true wind, you are still close hauled (Sails pulled in tight) because the wind coming over the sails is, near enough, coming from straight ahead.

In reality they don't go straight downwind but at an angle (Reaching in English) as it's faster, but the sails are still set in close - too close for a spinnaker to work.

What you note is that if they screw it up - the boat stops flying or whatever - they pretty much stop dead and have to ease the sails right out as now they arent generating their own wind any more.
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2021
    ddraver said:

It's more complicated than what morstar is saying .

As you go faster you generate wind by passing through the air - as you do with any movement - this pushed the apparent wind further and further forward until, as I said, even though you are going with the true wind, you are still close hauled (Sails pulled in tight) because the wind coming over the sails is, near enough, coming from straight ahead.

In reality they don't go straight downwind but at an angle (Reaching in English) as it's faster, but the sails are still set in close - too close for a spinnaker to work.

What you note is that if they screw it up - the boat stops flying or whatever - they pretty much stop dead and have to ease the sails right out as now they arent generating their own wind any more.

Yeah.

it's a bit different to this, which is how I learned.