Other sports worth following

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

elbowloh said:

You don't need to appeal in cricket if the batsman walks. No idea what that has to do with the price of fish though.

In football, penalties are rarely awarded unless the player falls over, so many fall over to make the appeal.

There were 2 pens last night were the defender was also red carded (Luis for Arsenal and Bednarek).

For the Luiz one you couldn't really see if there was contact even on the VAR. And for the second I think the attacker (Martial dived) and apparently Martial said at the time (it looked like Bednarek was trying to tell the ref that Martial has said so) that it wasn't a foul, but the ref wasn't having any of it. Bednarek was even saying go and speak to Martial, but by that time he'd viewed the video and had his mind set.
    I think Luiz's knee clipped the other player's foot. He looked guilty. It was harsh to be triple punished for it but that's a quirk of the rules.

Is this relevant to anything?
    The thread about sports.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,801
    Great start for England in India.

Another 100 for Root - what an incredible run of form. He is at the absolute peak of his powers it seems. Hopefully Sibley can follow with a ton too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,293
    mrb123 said:

Great start for England in India.

Another 100 for Root - what an incredible run of form. He is at the absolute peak of his powers it seems. Hopefully Sibley can follow with a ton too.

Gutting for Sibley, played so well and then gets out in the final over on 87.

Burns frustrating, he batted so well and then gave his wicket up with a silly shot. Lawrence can't be faulted, he got out to a beautiful delivery.
  • elbowloh
    Completely forgot this was on. Having a mare at home, 36 week preggers wife has had to go to hospital as she has a hight heart rate. She's ok though we think.

I'm at home, looking after 21 month old, WFH and trying not to worry!

Good to see Root has followed up his form from Sri Lanka.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    This performance probably just means its a flat track and we'll score 450-500, but India will come out and score 600....

The pessimism of watching England in India previously.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    There looked to be a bit in the pitch. The setting of the stadium is pretty spectacular too.
  • Looking forward to changing my sleep patterns for the weekend. Will probably do a turbo sesh during the lunch break and watch the snow falling.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nowhere else to put it but I listen to the Around the NFL podcast a lot. Kept me company on my commutes - gave a bit of context to the sport I’m learning.

They put out a lot of stuff so I’ve listens to hours and hours of them.

Anyway one of the presenters died today. Had survived a round of cancer but got it again and it was much worse.

I’m quite sad about it. You feel you get to know them (of course, you don’t) when you spend a lot of time consuming their work.

Not helped by the fact he got diagnosed with the cancer a few months after his firstborn.

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120

If I recall correctly, they don't show replays of anything contentious in football grounds in case the poor flowers in the crowd can't control themselves.

Nothing like a bit of ill-informed bigotry.
    Football is faster paced than rugby, fewer set pieces, etc.
    As for cricket, glacial movement is faster paced...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Pross
    secretsam said:

If I recall correctly, they don't show replays of anything contentious in football grounds in case the poor flowers in the crowd can't control themselves.

Whilst that is true so is KG's point. They shoe replays but not anything contentious.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2021
    With a week of permanently sub zero temperatures predicted and no more snow after Sunday, the Elfstedentocht might well be on for the for the first time since Jan 1997.

😲😲😲

Trust the luck of the gods to do it during a pandemic.

200km ice skating race between 11 towns (hence elf, steden, tocht)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,671
    I had a Mibo (check it out) meeting with my dutch friends on Friday. The excitement was palpable.

Skating on the canals around Leiden remains one of my favourite memories of my time in NL
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver said:

I had a Mibo (check it out) meeting with my dutch friends on Friday. The excitement was palpable.

It even has its own name elfstedenkoorts (koorts means fever)
  • Pross
    That sounds fun. Speed skating was always a sport I fancied trying when I was younger but obviously no facilities over here (short track has never appealed).
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

That sounds fun. Speed skating was always a sport I fancied trying when I was younger but obviously no facilities over here (short track has never appealed).

Short track sucks.

The ‘68 version of the Elfstedentocht had over 500 racing starters (as opposed to ‘amateurs’ not competing) and only 50 odd finishes with a lot of cases of frostbite and broken limbs.

It’s a tough ol’ race.
  • With a week of permanently sub zero temperatures predicted and no more snow after Sunday, the Elfstedentocht might well be on for the for the first time since Jan 1997.

😲😲😲

Trust the luck of the gods to do it during a pandemic.

200km ice skating race between 11 towns (hence elf, steden, tocht)

This what we are here for. Not VAR discussion.
  • rick_chasey
    Coronavirus claims another victim: the first elfstedentocht for 24 years.
  • Pross said:

secretsam said:

Whilst that is true so is KG's point. They shoe replays but not anything contentious.
    Yes, they had replays on the big screens before they had video refs. Just nothing that might inflame the passions into uncontrollable fits of rage.

Never at any of the grounds that I went to every week to support my football team when I was younger.
  • ddraver

Neeeee!!! Echt???
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    India batting better on day 1 of the second test. Nice to see a crowd it the ground, I don't think there was one at the first test was there? It was a bit odd seeing Root take the first full over with the new ball.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,801
    Advantage India. Pitch looks tougher than last week's. If they get past 400 it's difficult to see an England win batting fourth on there.
  • mrb123 said:

Advantage India. Pitch looks tougher than last week's. If they get past 400 it's difficult to see an England win batting fourth on there.

They ain't looking too hot in the 2nd innings.
    Currently 88-6 after finishing off India cheaply.

When I saw the team they picked I thought they'd struggle.
    Is "resting" a euphemism for dropped these days, cos what's more important than winning test matches?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    That's a bit more like what you'd expect from an England touring team!
  • mrb123 said:

They ain't looking too hot in the 2nd innings.
    Currently 88-6 after finishing off India cheaply.

When I saw the team they picked I thought they'd struggle.
    Is "resting" a euphemism for dropped these days, cos what's more important than winning test matches?
    Anderson is rested
    Archer is injured
    Bess is dropped
  • elbowloh
    The pitch is "rank bunsen".

I know both teams bat on the same pitch, but it should be at least day 3 before it starts turning square.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    edited February 2021
    ddraver said:

Neeeee!!! Echt???
    Gives some insight into how the natuurijs melts Dutch hearts (see thread)...

- @ddraver
  • elbowloh said:

The pitch is "rank bunsen".

I know both teams bat on the same pitch, but it should be at least day 3 before it starts turning square.

I am sure the opposition say similar about us preparing Sean friendly pitches.

I think the toss should be scrapped and the choice given to the tourists. Would have kept India more honest if they had known we were batting first.
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

Neeeee!!! Echt???
    Gives some insight into how the natuurijs melts Dutch hearts (see thread)...

You may have seen various photos of the canal lined with old windmills.

That’s Kinderdijk and my own photo from there has been the Lock Screen for my phones for the last 8 years.

Absolutely glorious. Was probably the nearest I’ve got to a spiritual moment as a result of the landscape.

Can recommend if you’re at a loose end in Rotterdam
  • ddraver
    I have been!
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey