joe biden

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    david37 said:

I'm just glad Trump is gone and has been replaced by a fairly normal pro democracy leader.

Pro IRA leader. I'm not sure how that is a good thing.

he's certainly on the republican side and he opposed extradition of various scumbags, but afaik he didn't condone ira violence

the uk supported saddam hussein, that nice chap who aside from killing his own people was happily gassing iranians, the shah of iran while he was torturing and killing his own people, and various other despotic slaughterers over many years

the uk government remains great chums with the rulers of saudi arabia, uae, etc., but biden seems rather less keen on them

perhaps he's not so bad compared to some

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    swjohnsey said:

A section of white evangelicals like Trump because he is doing things they believe were foretold by prophecies in the Bible. There's no way to have a rational policy discussion on any other basis with that.

Yep, these holy books and their prophesies have no place in modern life. ;)
    Koran?
    That one as well.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538

swjohnsey said:

A section of white evangelicals like Trump because he is doing things they believe were foretold by prophecies in the Bible. There's no way to have a rational policy discussion on any other basis with that.

Koran?
    That one as well.
    I thought you were talking about Barack Obama's autobiography.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • A section of white evangelicals like Trump because he is doing things they believe were foretold by prophecies in the Bible. There's no way to have a rational policy discussion on any other basis with that.

I didn't say that. I said you can't have a rational policy discussion on any other basis.

• We'll see how Biden is with the Saudis regime, I don't think we know that yet.

Add to UK supporting Saddam and others, you've kind of forgotten USA supported them even more. Plus many other nations too. UK was one nation among many supporting Saddam.

UK just happened to win out with the arms deal with the al yammama (bad spelling) deal. Biggest deal in history at that time. America certainly tried to beat the UK in winning that.

I hardly think UK companies could have won it by out bribing them somehow. Not with us defence industry coffers. British aerospace wasn't doing so well at the time and the deal basically saved them I heard. Dirty times back then I reckon.

As to Biden, he's no saint over the years. There's a bit of an image cleaning up going on I think. Good pr going on. Media so pleased to be rid of Trump!

It'll sure be interesting to see how much progress he makes. I'm not holding out for much so any little goodie he tosses America and the world will be good enough. Paris agreement for one, not that he'll get much past Senate.

I'm just glad Trump is going. Next job Johnson and that's on us. Although I suspect he'll jump to get the money in. Can't live on pm wages you know. He's also pi$$ed after hearing Maybot got a big payout doing the talking tour. He wants to join Blair, brown, maybot, Obama, Mrs. Obama, etc on the speaking circuit. Scrub out brown, who would pay much to hear him talk?!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

I'm just glad Trump is going. Next job Johnson and that's on us. Although I suspect he'll jump to get the money in. Can't live on pm wages you know. He's also pi$$ed after hearing Maybot got a big payout doing the talking tour. He wants to join Blair, brown, maybot, Obama, Mrs. Obama, etc on the speaking circuit. Scrub out brown, who would pay much to hear him talk?!

Is there a minimum term to be served before receiving full benefits? Possibly not, and he'll probably have served enough. He'll be happy to go once he gets Brexit done.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pblakeney said:

Is there a minimum term to be served before receiving full benefits? Possibly not, and he'll probably have served enough. He'll be happy to go once he gets Brexit done.
    He'll probably move to the US or the Bahamas.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554

Add to UK supporting Saddam and others, you've kind of forgotten USA supported them even more. Plus many other nations too. UK was one nation among many supporting Saddam.

no i haven't
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    nickice said:

I mean who cares if they have a female or black president or both?

It would be great if nobody did, but clearly the world hasn't reached that point yet.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sungod said:

no i haven't
    Ok just didn't mention it then.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Think a lot of you are forgetting what the US police are actually like - especially in the context of the heavy militarisation of police where they are given money to buy surpless military kit.

All the studies have shown this makes them less good at their job and more likely to kill people.

I think Brits forget how sensible their police tend to be vs police from other nations.

The origins of defund the police are around reducing the militarisation of it, which we would all agree with. The police don't need APCs to resist mine and rocket attacks.

It is a sensible policy to reduce that to help reduce tensions between black communities and the police which are obviously terrible and not helping anyone on either side.

Now, presumably all that nuance is lost and people on both sides end up taking a 3 word slogan literally.

Was going to say much the same.

Most of the defunding stuff is around using the massive amount of money they spend on military equipment and militarising the police on things which address the causes of crime in the first place. Mental health services in the US are historically underfunded for example. It's the same reason they spend loads on disaster recovery but won't spend anything on flood prevention - the US loves treating symptoms rather than causes.

The US spends more per capita on police than any country except Luxembourg (which is probably too small to really be included).

To a US audience our police are *already* defunded. Which is why it sounds mad to us.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    edited November 2020
    It's like some Tories coming out and having the slogan "privatise the NHS" when they mean that certain services are better done by private companies. It's a gift to their opponents and wouldn't happen.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Well, one Arkansas police chief has been defunded: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/09/local-arkansas-police-chief-quits-violence-democrats

"An Arkansas police chief resigned on Saturday, after posts under his name and picture advocating violence towards Democrats were found on Parler, a rightwing social media app.

One of Lang Holland’s posts reflected Donald Trump’s baseless allegations that the presidential election he lost to Joe Biden was stolen, and said: “Death to all Marxist Democrats.”
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

It's like some Tories coming out and having the slogan "privatise the NHS" when they mean that certain services are better done by private companies. It's a gift to their opponents and wouldn't happen.

Yeah, agree with that.

Thing with the Tories is nobody trusts them not to privatise the lot...
  • ballysmate
    edited November 2020
  • rjsterry said:

nickice said:

It would be great if nobody did, but clearly the world hasn't reached that point yet.
    I always wondered when Kenya would have a White president.
  • ballysmate
    swjohnsey said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

Used to have a white queen
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2020
    swjohnsey said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

I assume you discount Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, etc. They've only had four presidents so far. Based on the US, I'd guess some time around 2194.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Biden's price to win on Betfair has moved out from 1.04 to 1.07, why?

You could make £700 easy profit from backing £10,000 on a 'dead cert' who has apparently already won...

Maybe they're factoring in the chances of him living until January.

Posted in Trump thread too, but hey ho...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Money's on Biden :)

• joe2019 said:

Money's on Biden :)

He has to live until December 14th. Pronouncements by the media don't count.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    What would happen if he did? President Kamala?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The Demokraps would pick another candidate, likely Kamala but not necessarily.
  • ballysmate
    ddraver said:

What would happen if he did? President Kamala?

https://qz.com/1929017/what-happens-if-biden-dies-before-inauguration-day/
  • ballysmate
    Would be a strange situation.
    Biden dies and the Democrats put forward their 6th most popular candidate. Or she was, until she dropped out.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    I mean given her name was literally on the same ticket as Biden when he was elected... 🙄🙄🙄
  • ballysmate

I mean given her name was literally on the same ticket as Biden when he was elected... 🙄🙄🙄

Her name was on the ticket but it's no formality.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    swjohnsey said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

What are your views on dolichocephalic-blond people and their suitability for leadership?