joe biden

Comments

• American Journalists are of lower quality that their British counterparts. This is quite an achievement

• Pross said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Good luck to him. He's got a fair bit in his plate and clearly age isn't in his favour given how the job is probably pretty demanding.

I think most people are just glad its not going to be Trump in the White House (soon anyway).

Well this is the thing. My dad is four years younger than him, in exceptionally good health and, when he was working, put in very long days. I can't imagine him being able to do that now.
    Physically it's going to be tough at that age even if he is relatively fit and healthy for his age, as he appears to be. If I am still doing any form of work when I'm his age it'll be part time at best to get a bit of variety etc.

Ronald Reagan was seen as an elderly president but when he left office was actually slightly younger than Biden is now at the start of his time in office.
    Trump is only a few years younger though and Biden looks significantly fitter. But it is an issue when the choices for the job come down to two white, seventy something males.
    If as believed, Trump is playing golf for the second day in a row, and possibly more, he'll be fitter than the vast majority of people his age

Does anyone know what sport(s) Biden still participates in?
    Trump drives around the golf course in a buggy. He probably walks 200 metres in a round.
    At his age my mother was playing 5 rounds a week, but she walked the whole way around, never using a buggy, though she did have a motorised trolly.
    Suggesting Trump is fit because he walks 400 metres in 2 days and swings a club 250 times is laughable.
    You just prove that you don't play golf. I have seen many people like your mother play golf many days a week. She'll probably walk at least 5 miles per full round. Good on all who do it.

However on Trump, he'll walk a mile at a minimum on the golf course alone, even with a buggy. From viewing his golf swing I have not seen many 70+ year olds swing it as physically well as he does and he is not holding back. Your mother will not have been swinging a golf club as well as Trump does. When you know what you are talking about, you can also see from his swing that he is a good golfer. There is video on the BBC from his golf yesterday and that is not a man struggling to walk or in bad physical health.
    This reminds me of The Producers and the guy who insist The Führer was best at everything.
    I know you are disappointed when it does not fit the narrative you want it to. That is a your problem and for you to deal with.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213

American Journalists are of lower quality that their British counterparts. This is quite an achievement

It's not factually incorrect is it? It doesn't say the fireworks were for Biden. The Trump supporting media have done cr@p like that for the last 4 plus years
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Three pages in and it's a pi**ing contest over who knows more about golf. Outstanding.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

Three pages in and it's a pi**ing contest over who knows more about golf. Outstanding.

No one's beating Trump on golf. He's done 300 days of golfing in 4 years.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,686
    rjsterry said:

Gotta hand it to Coops - he knows how to catch people.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pblakeney said:

swjohnsey said:

Biden is in great shape. He has A-fib and takes two prescription medications, has reflux, high cholesterol, seasonal allergies, and has various sports medicine and orthopedic injuries. He has a history of brain aneurysms with two in 1988, one which almost killed him. He also had prostate surgery and a gall bladder removed.

With any luck he might make the inauguration.

Excellent! The VP takes over quicker than planned.
    I assume you consider VP Harris to have better qualities than Biden. What are they?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591

pblakeney said:

swjohnsey said:

Biden is in great shape. He has A-fib and takes two prescription medications, has reflux, high cholesterol, seasonal allergies, and has various sports medicine and orthopedic injuries. He has a history of brain aneurysms with two in 1988, one which almost killed him. He also had prostate surgery and a gall bladder removed.

I assume you consider VP Harris to have better qualities than Biden. What are they?
    Simply put, wind some up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608

pblakeney said:

swjohnsey said:

That she's a non WASP non Hillary? Boxes ticked?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,279
    rjsterry said:

My favourite part was the "My mum is better at golf than yours" vibe.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ballysmate

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Good luck to him. He's got a fair bit in his plate and clearly age isn't in his favour given how the job is probably pretty demanding.

I think most people are just glad its not going to be Trump in the White House (soon anyway).

Well this is the thing. My dad is four years younger than him, in exceptionally good health and, when he was working, put in very long days. I can't imagine him being able to do that now.
    Physically it's going to be tough at that age even if he is relatively fit and healthy for his age, as he appears to be. If I am still doing any form of work when I'm his age it'll be part time at best to get a bit of variety etc.

Ronald Reagan was seen as an elderly president but when he left office was actually slightly younger than Biden is now at the start of his time in office.
    Trump is only a few years younger though and Biden looks significantly fitter. But it is an issue when the choices for the job come down to two white, seventy something males.
    Trump is no spring chicken, agreed - although he is now out of office aged 74: Biden will be pushing 82 when his first term finishes. The rate physical decline around that age can be quite steep.
    That’s why he has a VP :)

Anyway, since 2000 the democrats only seem to win when they have someone who isn’t white on the ticket.

Are you suggesting that her colour is why she was on the ticket?
  • ballysmate
    orraloon said:

pblakeney said:

swjohnsey said:

That she's a non WASP non Hillary? Boxes ticked?
    So you don't detail any qualities apart from her gender and race.
    You saying that is why she got the gig?
  • orraloon
    ... gone fishin'... 😊
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

swjohnsey said:

So after 4 years of the Trumpster, instead of getting the US out of the mire, you see the office of POTUS to be nothing more than a chance of a wind up? Outstanding.
    In which case you must have relished the last 4 years for being a massive wind up.
  • rjsterry said:

The weekend Coops is far more cerebral than the loon who runs the account on weekdays
  • orraloon

rjsterry said:

The weekend Coops is far more cerebral than the loon who runs the account on weekdays
    Oi. Not this loon. Hud oan ken, am ah missin' oot on sunnin here or whit!
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

swjohnsey said:

So after 4 years of the Trumpster, instead of getting the US out of the mire, you see the office of POTUS to be nothing more than a chance of a wind up? Outstanding.
    In which case you must have relished the last 4 years for being a massive wind up.
    I did. Have you not noticed the other thread? I can do the square root of zero to affect the mire the the US is in so may as well enjoy it.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross said:

American Journalists are of lower quality that their British counterparts. This is quite an achievement

It's not factually incorrect is it? It doesn't say the fireworks were for Biden. The Trump supporting media have done cr@p like that for the last 4 plus years
    I posted something like this on the other thread - its just a twitter thread of British people explaining how bonfire night works. I don't think they really grasped that we do fireworks for the weekends either side etc.

Americans thinking it is all about them...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,228

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Trump is no spring chicken, agreed - although he is now out of office aged 74: Biden will be pushing 82 when his first term finishes. The rate physical decline around that age can be quite steep.

Anyway, since 2000 the democrats only seem to win when they have someone who isn’t white on the ticket.

No. Thought it was an interesting point.
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

swjohnsey said:

I did. Have you not noticed the other thread? I can do the square root of zero to affect the mire the the US is in so may as well enjoy it.
    You must be gutted that the orange Trumpster lost then.
    Funny, I thought the other thread was a whine about Trump, not a celebration.
    Well, every day is a school day, they say.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

swjohnsey said:

I think you've picked it all up incorrectly. The other thread was to laugh at Trump, and that thread will run for a while, he is a long way from finished "entertaining" us.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

swjohnsey said:

I think you've picked it all up incorrectly. The other thread was to laugh at Trump, and that thread will run for a while, he is a long way from finished "entertaining" us.
    Yeah I must have.
    It looked to be the place to go, where people went to drip more than a septic arsehole about Trump.
    Never mind. As I said above, every day... school day and all that.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

swjohnsey said:

Yeah I must have.
    It looked to be the place to go, where people went to drip more than a septic censored about Trump.
    Turned that way in the last week. I doubt this one will be as entertaining.
    Glad you learned something today. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,157

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

swjohnsey said:

Yeah I must have.
    It looked to be the place to go, where people went to drip more than a septic censored about Trump.
    That hardly distinguishes it from most of the other political threads in Cake Stop.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

If as believed, Trump is playing golf for the second day in a row, and possibly more, he'll be fitter than the vast majority of people his age

Does anyone know what sport(s) Biden still participates in?
    Smacking a few ball between getting carted around in a buggy does not make you an athlete. Take away the buggy and the McDonald's and your point might be valid.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/joe-biden-first-irish-interview-1987

Interesting background article.

I just don’t see the public school boy bluster of Johnson cutting through to Biden’s administration. Even less so given Johnson’s gaffes to date with some of the more influential individuals of the new administration.

You have to ask if they will even take him seriously. Which isn’t a great starting point.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ballysmate

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Does that mean that white Democrat voters are more comfortable voting for a non white candidate than black voters for a white one?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Does that mean that white Democrat voters are more comfortable voting for a non white candidate than black voters for a white one?
    Could mean all sorts of things, Bally, but you’d have to find evidence for it.

If you’re trying to make a “overly compensating woke” argument you’d have to explain the success in places that are very much not that

90something % of black wonen voted Biden too.

I’d suggest thr more likely scenario is it gets the black vote out.

Or it’s just Obama got their vote out and so did Trump. It’s a small sample size
  • ballysmate

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Could mean all sorts of things, Bally, but you’d have to find evidence for it.

If you’re trying to make a “overly compensating woke” argument you’d have to explain the success in places that are very much not that

90something % of black wonen voted Biden too.

I’d suggest thr more likely scenario is it gets the black vote out.

Or it’s just Obama got their vote out and so did Trump. It’s a small sample size
    Not trying to make any argument at all. I had never considered it 'til you brought it up.
    As you found it interesting enough to mention, I thought you may have given the reasons a bit of thought. That's all.
    "Overly compensating woke" - Surprised that you think there exists such a phenomenon.
  • rick_chasey
    It’s all you ever bang on about on political threads, Bally