joe biden

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    edited November 2020
    Have I mentioned any sort of wokism? You made an observation and I asked what it could mean.
    After all, there have only been 4 elections in the period you mention, so I thought you had seen something significant in the small sample.

Ooops 5 elections.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    I’ll remember you have to know why a fact or stat exists before posting it in the future.
  • ballysmate

I’ll remember you have to know why a fact or stat exists before posting it in the future.

I wasn't having a pop. As you had noticed it, I thought that you may have considered why, that's all.
    If you haven't/didn't, no sweat.

• ballysmate
    I would be more interested (but not a lot, I grant you) in why people on here think Biden such a bad choice, as they would rather Harris take over sooner rather than later.
    Even though they can't list any of her qualities other than race and/or gender. Is he that bad or is it casual racism/sexism.
    Very un Cake Stop. :/

• nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

I would be more interested (but not a lot, I grant you) in why people on here think Biden such a bad choice, as they would rather Harris take over sooner rather than later.
    Even though they can't list any of her qualities other than race and/or gender. Is he that bad or is it casual racism/sexism.

My facebook feed was full of it this morning that the USA will have its first black, female president. Weird.
  • nickice
    I mean who cares if they have a female or black president or both?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516

I don’t believe anyone suggested Biden is a bad choice, simply that his age is a consideration. Reagan retired at a younger age than Biden is now and as Stevo alluded to that the rate of decline can be a steep downslope at Biden’s age demographic.

As for Harris’s capability, her previous career as an attorney was a significant success which she gave up to enter politics. A career move not noted for improving your financial earning capacity.

As a former Attorney General felony conviction rate up went up 26% under her leadership and she ran unopposed for her second term.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • nickice
    Lots of cash in American politics.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    slowmart said:

I don’t believe anyone suggested Biden is a bad choice, simply that his age is a consideration. Reagan retired at a younger age than Biden is now and as Stevo alluded to that the rate of decline can be a steep downslope at Biden’s age demographic.

As for Harris’s capability, her previous career as an attorney was a significant success which she gave up to enter politics. A career move not noted for improving your financial earning capacity.

As a former Attorney General felony conviction rate up went up 26% under her leadership and she ran unopposed for her second term.

I'm not sure he was a particularly good choice, but looking at the other Democratic candidates for the nomination it is hard to see who would have done better... I think Sanders would have lost, possibly quite badly (although obviously we'll never know).

That was a key line of attack from the Republicans: a vote for Biden is actually a vote for Harris to be president when Biden dies in office... Maybe it had an effect, maybe not...
  • Biden is a moderate, running on a moderate platform, with moderate policies.

The criticism of the democrats by Trump has almost entirely been based on saying they are the party of AOC, Ilhan Omar and Bernie Sanders. It worked quite well, even though their preferred candidate, and their second and third choice candidates all lost to the moderate in the primary.

A lot of people decided they prefer not to have a democrat, no matter who, and would rather vote for anything in red.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128

imo he's not bad, i do think he's too old, but i suspect he was the only nominee who could beat trump - he's a centrist with history of being able to work across party lines, he won't scare any but the real nutters

though whether mcconnell is willing to reciprocate and work for the good of the nation is another matter, i'm not optimistic

harris had a successful career and what it took to win a seat in the senate, doesn't seem to have been in anyone's pocket, she really annoyed some of the corrupt/pompous old boy network which is a big plus, made missteps in her campaign to be democratic nominee and lacked funding, i'd hope she'll be an 'active' vp helping biden drive change for the better

if she's a successful vp, building experience/relationships it'd be great to see her running for president next time (and winning)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537

Biden is a moderate, running on a moderate platform, with moderate policies.

The criticism of the democrats by Trump has almost entirely been based on saying they are the party of AOC, Ilhan Omar and Bernie Sanders. It worked quite well, even though their preferred candidate, and their second and third choice candidates all lost to the moderate in the primary.

A lot of people decided they prefer not to have a democrat, no matter who, and would rather vote for anything in red.

The ludicrous 'Defund the police' slogan wasn't helpful to the Democrats. And now AOC is turning her fire on the Democrats for not being lefty enough. Though, to his credit, Bernie wasn't (and so far isn't) the disrupter I thought he might be.

Biden & Harris had a very fine line to tread to deliver the presidency.
  • Biden is a moderate, running on a moderate platform, with moderate policies.

The ludicrous 'Defund the police' slogan wasn't helpful to the Democrats. And now AOC is turning her fire on the Democrats for not being lefty enough. Though, to his credit, Bernie wasn't (and so far isn't) the disrupter I thought he might be.

Biden & Harris had a very fine line to tread to deliver the presidency.
    That's what I mean - neither Biden nor any democrat who is in leadership endorsed "defund the police". It's a ridiculous slogan, that either doesn't mean what it says, or will not get support.

On that basis the whole republican party should be defined by support for qanon.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    john80 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Good luck to him. He's got a fair bit in his plate and clearly age isn't in his favour given how the job is probably pretty demanding.

I think most people are just glad its not going to be Trump in the White House (soon anyway).

Well this is the thing. My dad is four years younger than him, in exceptionally good health and, when he was working, put in very long days. I can't imagine him being able to do that now.
    Physically it's going to be tough at that age even if he is relatively fit and healthy for his age, as he appears to be. If I am still doing any form of work when I'm his age it'll be part time at best to get a bit of variety etc.

Ronald Reagan was seen as an elderly president but when he left office was actually slightly younger than Biden is now at the start of his time in office.
    Trump is only a few years younger though and Biden looks significantly fitter. But it is an issue when the choices for the job come down to two white, seventy something males.
    If as believed, Trump is playing golf for the second day in a row, and possibly more, he'll be fitter than the vast majority of people his age

Does anyone know what sport(s) Biden still participates in?
    Smacking a few ball between getting carted around in a buggy does not make you an athlete. Take away the buggy and the McDonald's and your point might be valid.
    I also found it odd that Trump, darling of the Christian right, was out playing golf on Sunday whilst Joe Biden, who they would not vote for, was at church.

Just saying.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Good luck to him. He's got a fair bit in his plate and clearly age isn't in his favour given how the job is probably pretty demanding.

I think most people are just glad its not going to be Trump in the White House (soon anyway).

Well this is the thing. My dad is four years younger than him, in exceptionally good health and, when he was working, put in very long days. I can't imagine him being able to do that now.
    Physically it's going to be tough at that age even if he is relatively fit and healthy for his age, as he appears to be. If I am still doing any form of work when I'm his age it'll be part time at best to get a bit of variety etc.

Ronald Reagan was seen as an elderly president but when he left office was actually slightly younger than Biden is now at the start of his time in office.
    Trump is only a few years younger though and Biden looks significantly fitter. But it is an issue when the choices for the job come down to two white, seventy something males.
    If as believed, Trump is playing golf for the second day in a row, and possibly more, he'll be fitter than the vast majority of people his age

Smacking a few ball between getting carted around in a buggy does not make you an athlete. Take away the buggy and the McDonald's and your point might be valid.
    I also found it odd that Trump, darling of the Christian right, was out playing golf on Sunday whilst Joe Biden, who they would not vote for, was at church.

Just saying.
    they'd vote for their antichrist if he promised them judges, guns and a white christmas, perhaps they did
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    Think a lot of you are forgetting what the US police are actually like - especially in the context of the heavy militarisation of police where they are given money to buy surpless military kit.

All the studies have shown this makes them less good at their job and more likely to kill people.

I think Brits forget how sensible their police tend to be vs police from other nations.

The origins of defund the police are around reducing the militarisation of it, which we would all agree with. The police don't need APCs to resist mine and rocket attacks.

It is a sensible policy to reduce that to help reduce tensions between black communities and the police which are obviously terrible and not helping anyone on either side.

Now, presumably all that nuance is lost and people on both sides end up taking a 3 word slogan literally.

• briantrumpet
    elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Just saying.

Republican supporters have got themselves to a place where they can justify all their moral contortions, however ludicrous, because of their one overarching belief: the pursuit of power justifies everything. Trump was 100% correct with his comment about shooting someone.
  • Think a lot of you are forgetting what the US police are actually like - especially in the context of the heavy militarisation of police where they are given money to buy surpless military kit.

All the studies have shown this makes them less good at their job and more likely to kill people.

I think Brits forget how sensible their police tend to be vs police from other nations.

The origins of defund the police are around reducing the militarisation of it, which we would all agree with. The police don't need APCs to resist mine and rocket attacks.

It is a sensible policy to reduce that to help reduce tensions between black communities and the police which are obviously terrible and not helping anyone on either side.

Now, presumably all that nuance is lost and people on both sides end up taking a 3 word slogan literally.

I'd like to think the brits aren't missing it, but for sure as hell they are missing it in the USA.

A policeman over there is a poor man's soldier.
  • briantrumpet

Think a lot of you are forgetting what the US police are actually like - especially in the context of the heavy militarisation of police where they are given money to buy surpless military kit.

Indeed. The list of problems with how the police operate in the US is a long one, not least in the way (as I read it) that bad police are shielded from accountability, with the backing of their union.

But it goes to show how corrosive a bad three-word slogan is (see "Burn, baby, burn") to a worthwhile cause. Why wouldn't the Republicans use "defund the police" as a weapon against progressives?
  • elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Just saying.
    Biden's a Catholic. I don't believe Evangelicals are big fans of Papists.
  • elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Just saying.
    only the second ever Catholic President
  • ballysmate

elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Just saying.
    I wonder what happened to the first...
  • It does feel as if a lot of the overexcitement from some regarding this Biden victory is that they see it as some sort of proxy vote on the current Conservative/Boris government.

It is going to be amusing watching their disappointment on this :smiley:

ps Boris will not be leading the Conservatives into the next election. He will be removed because he has led the failed and huge overreaction to C19.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm just glad Trump is gone and has been replaced by a fairly normal pro democracy leader.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited November 2020
    A section of white evangelicals like Trump because he is doing things they believe were foretold by prophecies in the Bible. There's no way to have a rational policy discussion on any other basis with that.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

I'm just glad Trump is gone and has been replaced by a fairly normal pro democracy leader.

Pro IRA leader. I'm not sure how that is a good thing.

• I can't get over how it's the Dems who were too extreme, when Trump has run on a policy platform of take away healthcare without any replacement during a pandemic and lock up all my opponents.
  • elbowloh said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Just saying.
    I wonder what happened to the first...
    he died in the cover-up over the fake moon landings
  • ballysmate

A section of white evangelicals like Trump because he is doing things they believe were foretold by prophecies in the Bible. There's no way to have a rational policy discussion on any other basis with that.

Yep, these holy books and their prophesies have no place in modern life. ;)
  • A section of white evangelicals like Trump because he is doing things they believe were foretold by prophecies in the Bible. There's no way to have a rational policy discussion on any other basis with that.

Yep, these holy books and their prophesies have no place in modern life. ;)
    Koran?