Giro 2020 - Stage 20: Alba – Sestriere 190kms *Spoilers*

12345679»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited October 2020

I've a feeling there's an obvious (and recent) answer but I'm missing it.

Has anyone ever one a GT having not worn the leaders jersey until the final podium?

Jan Janssen in the 1968 Tour de France is the one I can think of.

Edit: Also Angel Casero and Aitor Gonzalez in the 2001 and 2002 Vueltas
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

I've a feeling there's an obvious (and recent) answer but I'm missing it.

Has anyone ever one a GT having not worn the leaders jersey until the final podium?

On the basis that it would require a final day TT and that there aren't many of those, I'm going to say no. Lemond, Dumoulin and Hesjedal had all worn it before.

• DeadCalm said:

RichN95. said:

DeadCalm said:

Fantastic stage.

With regard to the should Hindley have dropped back arguments, assuming TGH beats Hindley in the TT (as I hope he does) I'd suggest, in hindsight, that suggests they didn't make the best decision. Probably though, whatever decision they made, it wouldn't have altered the final result. Certainly, anyone claiming that one or the other tactic was obviously superior to the other is wrong. Sunweb were between a rock and a hard place.

Let's see what Kelderman does in the TT. My guess is he has a bad one. Although admittedly there's not much at stake for him he's not going to move from third.
    It's an unknowable. If Hindley had dropped back on Thursday, would Kelderman have lost as much time today? Possibly not. It was a super tough decision for Sunweb. At the time I thought they made the right call. Now I'm not so sure. If Hindley wins pink, it's indisputable. Any other result is debatable.
    Also an unknowable is how much faster Dennis and TGH could have gone also doing this two team Trofeo Baracchi.
    The bottom line is that Kelderman is 1'-32" down and TGH would have had 5 second extra bonifications.

So, in order for Wilco to still be in pink, he and Hindley would have had to gone roughly 1 and a half minutes faster than Kelderman solo. To be in touch for tomorrow's TT, maybe 1'-10".
    That allows for any time saved today, which is debatable.

Not factored in, in any of this, is Kelderman's pretty extensive history of cracking under pressure.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    edited October 2020
    Where’s his mother from? Forgotten who did it but there was a stand up comedy sketch about Scottishness only going down the male line.

Edit if he loses tomorrow , which could happen will he be a Brit or Scottish ? Hope he can pull it off , but every one seems to think its a formality which unnerves me as the mocker gods don’t like presumptions.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    pblakeney said:

All that distance with no time gap ..should have just had the two of them do a tt and save everyone else the trouble

It's about the complete journey, not just the destination.
    Thumbs up to the reply, although not particularly about the stage/mididoctors comment.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Jeez. After successfully avoiding all of today’s results due to shooting an actual wedding today.

Fucking hell. What odds would you have got on this with 1 stage remaining.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    edited October 2020
    RichN95. said:

Yes. His dad is Scottish, and Fotheringham always say's he's Scottish - ever heard Tao himself talk about it, so I'd guess Fotheringham knows best

It seems that Scotland selected him in the team for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, but he never raced. I'm not sure that's a sound basis for calling him a Scot. Who does he support at international football?
    His own words

Scotland selected him for the last two Commonwealth Games, but he failed to find time in his race schedule to appear in either – “I would have loved Glasgow” – so he is now targeting Birmingham in 2022. After his recent success, will it still be in Scotland’s colours?

“Yeah, yeah, definitely,” he replies with unforced enthusiasm. “I tried to get some kit off [Scottish cyclist] Mark Stewart but he flicked me off! I will have to turn up to get some!

“My dad is Scottish, he was born there. His parents were a Celtic mix of Scottish and Irish. I grew up in Hackney.

“In the modern day world no one is one thing, I quite like that about the world. I am proud to be a mongrel, I think it’s a good thing.

“I love going there [Scotland], whether it’s to see my gran in Edinburgh or I’ve been there with the Tour of Britain a few times or just to be on holiday.

“I definitely feel strong roots to both my Irish and Scottish ancestry.”

From an interview with the Scotsman

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Kelderman can still ride for 2nd can't he if the flat TT really doesn't suit Hindley?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Also interesting to note that Ben Swift is in 18th place at the moment. I know it's not the deepest GC field in the world, but that still seems pretty high. His previous best was 83rd in the Tour a few years ago.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860

DeadCalm said:

RichN95. said:

DeadCalm said:

Fantastic stage.

With regard to the should Hindley have dropped back arguments, assuming TGH beats Hindley in the TT (as I hope he does) I'd suggest, in hindsight, that suggests they didn't make the best decision. Probably though, whatever decision they made, it wouldn't have altered the final result. Certainly, anyone claiming that one or the other tactic was obviously superior to the other is wrong. Sunweb were between a rock and a hard place.

Let's see what Kelderman does in the TT. My guess is he has a bad one. Although admittedly there's not much at stake for him he's not going to move from third.
    It's an unknowable. If Hindley had dropped back on Thursday, would Kelderman have lost as much time today? Possibly not. It was a super tough decision for Sunweb. At the time I thought they made the right call. Now I'm not so sure. If Hindley wins pink, it's indisputable. Any other result is debatable.
    Also an unknowable is how much faster Dennis and TGH could have gone also doing this two team Trofeo Baracchi.
    The bottom line is that Kelderman is 1'-32" down and TGH would have had 5 second extra bonifications.

So, in order for Wilco to still be in pink, he and Hindley would have had to gone roughly 1 and a half minutes faster than Kelderman solo. To be in touch for tomorrow's TT, maybe 1'-10".

Not factored in, in any of this, is Kelderman's pretty extensive history of cracking under pressure.

+1
    This is the crux of it dropping back would have allowed Tao and Rohan to not hold back anything incase hindley came over the top
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233

DeadCalm said:

RichN95. said:

DeadCalm said:

Fantastic stage.

+1
    This is the crux of it dropping back would have allowed Tao and Rohan to not hold back anything incase hindley came over the top
    + 1 million [insert pic of Dr Evil]
    ...and not only that, in defence of the Sunweb tactic, if your lead rider has cracked halfway up the 2nd to last climb , the Stelvio (St 18) - you have no real physiologically accurate assessment of where they’re at in terms of defending their (at this point, hypothetical) lead on the final climb - or maybe Sunweb had very clear idea of where Kelderman was, physiologically? - As it turns out, Kelderman may we’ll have benefitted from being towed by Hindley (had he dropped back) on the terrain between the base of Stelvio and the final climb: but that might have compromised Hindley on the final climb - so he wouldn’t have won the stage. And Kelderman is very unlikely to have been able to claw back time on the guys who’ve already dropped him. So SunWeb would have lost the stage win and may well have lost the maglia rosa.
    In terms of making decisions on the road in the moment, criticising anything that’s happened after the Stelvio is unfair, I think. In many cases, you’re dealing with athletes and DS’s who are at the very furthest extent of their faculties.
    Tomorrow, Hindley might have a shocker in the TT and everyone will be saying they should’ve backed Kelderman: but today showed everyone that Hindley is stronger. As the mantra goes... the road will decide.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I think we are just going over the same ground. Yes it's a case of how much time would Kelderman have saved had Hindley assisted him on both stages Vs how much Tao might have been holding back for fear of Hindley jumping him - neither is knowable.

The thing that is being lost is that we are looking for the best outcome of two - and the one Sunweb chose may not (probably won't) deliver the win.

It's not a case of me arguing Kelderman was nailed on to win if Sunweb backed him just he had more chance than Hindley who has alwAys looked at a big disadvantage due to the TT.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Geoghegan

That's an Irish name, no?

Yes, it's an Irish name. McGuigan MacGeoghegan etc. - same name.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    May as well throw my two groats in...

Kelderman, as yet, is unproven as a GC winner (you may say he's proven the opposite). Even if they re the nominal leader, if they get dropped on the second to last climb - whereas another team mate - who has a better than average chance of winning a jersey, even if it's not the big one - they don't get help.

Sorry Wilco, but before you have 7 other men all in for you, you have to show that you can get through this situation and win.

If it was the last few Kms of the final climb, then maybe you risk sending some help back, but the history just isn't with people in Wilco's situation. He deserves credit for a strong ride to limit what looked like being catastrophic losses but, sorry dude, you blew it.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I think we are just going over the same ground. Yes it's a case of how much time would Kelderman have saved had Hindley assisted him on both stages Vs how much Tao might have been holding back for fear of Hindley jumping him - neither is knowable.

The thing that is being lost is that we are looking for the best outcome of two - and the one Sunweb chose may not (probably won't) deliver the win.

It's not a case of me arguing Kelderman was nailed on to win if Sunweb backed him just he had more chance than Hindley who has alwAys looked at a big disadvantage due to the TT.

As opposed to the one they didn't chose, that definitely wouldn't have delivered the win?
    Your position hasn't really change, it's just become more conciliatory.
    Look at the way Almeida left Wilco for dead today.
    If Kelderman turns out a poor TT tomorrow, I doubt things will move beyond stage 18, then either.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    I agree with ddraver...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited October 2020

Geoghegan

That's an Irish name, no?

Yes, it's an Irish name. McGuigan MacGeoghegan etc. - same name.

I remember Simon Geoghegan playing rugby for Ireland. He was a terrific player. Also English born with an Irish grandad
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    edited October 2020

I think we are just going over the same ground. Yes it's a case of how much time would Kelderman have saved had Hindley assisted him on both stages Vs how much Tao might have been holding back for fear of Hindley jumping him - neither is knowable.

As opposed to the one they didn't chose, that definitely wouldn't have delivered the win?
    Your position hasn't really change, it's just become more conciliatory.
    Look at the way Almeida left Wilco for dead today.
    If Kelderman turns out a poor TT tomorrow, I doubt things will move beyond stage 18, then either.
    No my position hasn't changed - why would it - I just accept some things aren't knowable whereas you are pretending they are.

It's a discussion on tactics in a bike race - if you have a need to prove yourself right I don't mind giving you a biscuit.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Just to throw something else in the mix.
    Young pretender v non-winner who signed a contract with a rival mid-season.
    Who'd you support?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235

Potentially TGH will be the first English GT winner.

That’ll be TGH “The London-born Scot” as the Guardian had it yesterday ;-)

• Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    They know their audience , good business really.
  • Potentially TGH will be the first English GT winner.

That’ll be TGH “The London-born Scot” as the Guardian had it yesterday ;-)

And a bloody southerner/Londoner should he lose 😉😉
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    edited October 2020
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bobmcstuff

Nice interview with Dennis about Stage 20.