Giro 2020 - Stage 20: Alba – Sestriere 190kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    RichN95. said:

r0bh said:

Tao will be in the white jersey so both in the same type of skinsuit tomorrow

As made by Ineos's kit supplier. 'You did ask for the XXXL, Jai?'
    Sneaky
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    edited October 2020

I take it we think Tao is a better TTer than Hindley...

I think he was over a minute quicker in the 34km TT mid-race
    Hutchinson pointed out that Hindley's best part of the TT was the climb, Tao was a LOT faster on the flat. Tomorrow is a pancake.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Mad_Malx said:

Mad_Malx said:

Been any other GTs that have come down entirely to the final day TT?

Lol

There was that one time
    The clue was in the word “entirely”

I take it all back
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

Wow that was great!

Watched it on the turbo. Massive heart rate spike for the sprint.

So, who still thinks it was a bad idea for Hindley to follow TGH and Dennis the other day??? Should he have waited for Kelderman again today :smiley:

Kelderman's only like 1'32" back isn't he, so if he has a decent TT he could still place well.

Not picking on you Bob as a few have made similar comments but doesn't that result suggest they *should* have gone all in for Kelderman the other day?

We won't know for sure until after the TT but if you agree with Bri Smithy about Kelderman limiting his losses to ~1 minute on the Stelvio stage had he had help and factor in him getting help today had Hindley waited it's possible Kelderman could still be in pink.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Wow that was great!

So, who still thinks it was a bad idea for Hindley to follow TGH and Dennis the other day??? Should he have waited for Kelderman again today :smiley:

Kelderman's only like 1'32" back isn't he, so if he has a decent TT he could still place well.

Not picking on you Bob as a few have made similar comments but doesn't that result suggest they *should* have gone all in for Kelderman the other day?

We won't know for sure until after the TT but if you agree with Bri Smithy about Kelderman limiting his losses to ~1 minute on the Stelvio stage had he had help and factor in him getting help today had Hindley waited it's possible Kelderman could still be in pink.
    That assumes that TGH wasn't holding something back on the final climb to try and stave off Hindley's sprint though. It's plausible he could have gone quicker if Hindley wasn't there.
  • mididoctors

Wow that was great!

I love this giro . What ever happens it's going to be argued over for ages .
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154

Hutchinson pointed out that Hindley's best part of the TT was the climb, Tao was a LOT faster on the flat. Tomorrow is a pancake.

But in the first time trial Hindley beat him by 49 seconds.

TGH lost 1 minute 45 to Hindley in the first three stages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    Tao and hindley were real.close to the limit . Fair play to t hem both . I was worried Tao would crack with one more acceleration . Tense stuff . It seems unreal .
  • RichN95.
    Ben Swift has moved up to 18th
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    edited October 2020
    Dave Brailsford saying Ineos' new strategy is to ride with panache.

The sky train is over.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,548
    First stage I've missed completely. I, like many, questioned Ineos signing Dennis but this is what he looks like in a team that helps him sort out his demons. I'd love him to win tomorrow but he must have burned himself out in the last few days.

If you just looked at the GC you'd assume Tao and Hindley had just marked each other out all race.
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

He was in support mode at the start though I suppose.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

He was in support mode at the start though I suppose.
    That and it was a weird downhill TT with massive winds involved.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    edited October 2020
    Edit .
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Wow that was great!

That assumes that TGH wasn't holding something back on the final climb to try and stave off Hindley's sprint though. It's plausible he could have gone quicker if Hindley wasn't there.
    Sunweb DS just interviewed said exactly this, that they were worried what Tao and Dennis could do if left alone

• mididoctors
    edited October 2020
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474

RichN95. said:

Potentially TGH will be the first English GT winner.

While you may say Wiggins is Belgian, what is Simon Yates?
    Bolton 🤪🤪. Forgabout him doh! Mybad
    Take that back. Bolton are scum. He's Bury through and through!!!

#blackpuddingsrule
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    Ineos's sporting weekend:

Friday: Launch America's Cup yacht
    Saturday: Win Giro stage
    Sunday: Win Giro? Break Schumacher's F1 wins record?

OGC Nice haven't got a game
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    Mad_Malx said:

1989 TdF. Lemond overtook Fignon on the final day TT.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    pblakeney said:

Mad_Malx said:

1989 TdF. Lemond overtook Fignon on the final day TT.

Dumoulin in the 2017 Giro and Hesjedal in 2012 are other recent ones. They were both in Milan too
  • Ooooo just catching up on eurosport replay.

So they went up the bit they went down in the 2018 Giro and down the bit they were supposed to climb...?

Shame they couldn't have done the original route that would have been immense!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors

Wow that was great!

Sunweb DS just interviewed said exactly this, that they were worried what Tao and Dennis could do if left alone

It's hard to think they could have done much else . Open to different opinions
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    What's the tiebreaker rule that sees Hindley in pink?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    larkim said:

It's done on the fractions of seconds in the Time Trials.
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Ben Swift has moved up to 18th

He's had a stormer. Shame he didn't get a chance to do some of the Classics, I think he would have gone well.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    larkim said:

Probably fractions of seconds from the tt
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    edited October 2020
    Re swift Just lacks the sheer grunt needed? Same with Kwiatoski . Perhaps due to the role or roles they have to fufill now.
  • larkim said:

RichN95. said:

Potentially TGH will be the first English GT winner.

While you may say Wiggins is Belgian, what is Simon Yates?
    Bolton 🤪🤪. Forgabout him doh! Mybad
    Take that back. Bolton are scum. He's Bury through and through!!!

#blackpuddingsrule
    Knew it was that area somewhere. How about Mancsman 😉😉🧐🧐
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Head to head in TTs

8-2 to Tao, who has a podium, another top ten, a couple of top 15s. Hindley's best result a 34th place.

Hindley ------------------------------------------------------------------ Tao

48 ------ Amgen Tour of California - Stage 4 (ITT) ('18) ----------- 3
    74 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 1 (ITT) ('19) ------------------------------- 7
    34 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 14 (ITT) ('20)------- -------------------- 13
    55 ------ Tour de l'Avenir - Stage 4 (ITT) ('16)----- ------------------ 15
    102 ------ La Vuelta ciclista a España - Stage 1 (ITT) ('18) ------ 18
    52 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 9 (ITT) ('19) ----------------------------- 25
    41 ------ Tirreno-Adriatico - Stage 8 (ITT) ('20) --------------------- 31
    96 ------ Itzulia Basque Country - Stage 4 (ITT) ('18) ------------- 36
    46 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 1 (ITT) ('20) --------------------------- 126
    76 ------ La Vuelta ciclista a España - Stage 16 (ITT) ('18) ------ 87
  • RichN95. said:

larkim said:

It's done on the fractions of seconds in the Time Trials.
    Purely hypothetical, but what if, for example, TGH had .72 in the first TT and .58 in the second, would that add an extra 1.3 seconds to the overall? Or would the .3 seconds be used as the tie breaker? Has anywhere published the fractions?