Giro 2020 - Stage 20: Alba – Sestriere 190kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585

Potentially TGH will be the first English GT winner.

With that name?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    davidof said:

Dave Brailsford saying Ineos' new strategy is to ride with panache.

The sky train is over.

No, no, no... not the Alaphilippe GT approach, shurely?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

Mad_Malx said:

Been any other GTs that have come down entirely to the final day TT?

1989 TdF. Lemond overtook Fignon on the final day TT.

Dumoulin in the 2017 Giro and Hesjedal in 2012 are other recent ones. They were both in Milan too
    I was asking if there was a tour when, at the start of the last day, they were on the same time.
    Too subtle, sorry.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Wow that was great!

Watched it on the turbo. Massive heart rate spike for the sprint.

So, who still thinks it was a bad idea for Hindley to follow TGH and Dennis the other day??? Should he have waited for Kelderman again today :smiley:

Kelderman's only like 1'32" back isn't he, so if he has a decent TT he could still place well.

I take it we think Tao is a better TTer than Hindley...

Not picking on you Bob as a few have made similar comments but doesn't that result suggest they *should* have gone all in for Kelderman the other day?

We won't know for sure until after the TT but if you agree with Bri Smithy about Kelderman limiting his losses to ~1 minute on the Stelvio stage had he had help and factor in him getting help today had Hindley waited it's possible Kelderman could still be in pink.
    You really think he would have done much better today?

He only started getting time back when Hindley and TGH started marking each other on the climb. Dennis and TGH up the road together without Hindley would have got a bigger gap. And it wasn't like Kelderman was totally alone in that group, there were plenty of riders with reasons to ride - he couldn't follow Almeida either.

I just don't see it at all.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pross said:

With that name?
    According to William Fotheringham in the Guardian, he claims Scottish nationality through his father
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    edited October 2020
    How much is it worth, if anything, to be in the lead and thereby last man off in the TT?

Edit.... Reading back through I see skinsuits discussed.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross said:

With that name?
    According to William Fotheringham in the Guardian, he claims Scottish nationality through his father
    I'm sure most thought that when racing resumed it wouldnt be this IG rider with egan in his name who would be winning* a GT

*not won it just yet, obvs
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Head to head in TTs

8-2 to Tao, who has a podium, another top ten, a couple of top 15s. Hindley's best result a 34th place.

Hindley ------------------------------------------------------------------ Tao

48 ------ Amgen Tour of California - Stage 4 (ITT) ('18) ----------- 3
    74 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 1 (ITT) ('19) ------------------------------- 7
    34 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 14 (ITT) ('20)------- -------------------- 13
    55 ------ Tour de l'Avenir - Stage 4 (ITT) ('16)----- ------------------ 15
    102 ------ La Vuelta ciclista a España - Stage 1 (ITT) ('18) ------ 18
    52 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 9 (ITT) ('19) ----------------------------- 25
    41 ------ Tirreno-Adriatico - Stage 8 (ITT) ('20) --------------------- 31
    96 ------ Itzulia Basque Country - Stage 4 (ITT) ('18) ------------- 36
    46 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 1 (ITT) ('20) --------------------------- 126
    76 ------ La Vuelta ciclista a España - Stage 16 (ITT) ('18) ------ 87

Not sure it matters much as he's 1'32" back and it's not a long TT, but what's Kelderman like vs those two?

Then there's another minute twenty back behind Kelderman.

I'm doing a big ride tomorrow so might miss the finish... anyone got an idea what time the finish will be with the clock change?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited October 2020
    If Sunweb had chosen differently, I'm pretty sure the people who are most convinced Sunweb did the wrong thing on Stage 18 in our timeline would have been the same people being utterly convinced that Sunweb did the wrong thing on Stage 18 as they watched Kelderman fall off again today in the alternate one...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,933
    Assuming Ganna wins tomorrow, that will be 8 stage wins for Ineos.
    When was the last time a team won that many stages at a GT?
  • Head to head in TTs

8-2 to Tao, who has a podium, another top ten, a couple of top 15s. Hindley's best result a 34th place.

Hindley ------------------------------------------------------------------ Tao

48 ------ Amgen Tour of California - Stage 4 (ITT) ('18) ----------- 3
    74 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 1 (ITT) ('19) ------------------------------- 7
    34 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 14 (ITT) ('20)------- -------------------- 13
    55 ------ Tour de l'Avenir - Stage 4 (ITT) ('16)----- ------------------ 15
    102 ------ La Vuelta ciclista a España - Stage 1 (ITT) ('18) ------ 18
    52 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 9 (ITT) ('19) ----------------------------- 25
    41 ------ Tirreno-Adriatico - Stage 8 (ITT) ('20) --------------------- 31
    96 ------ Itzulia Basque Country - Stage 4 (ITT) ('18) ------------- 36
    46 ------ Giro d'Italia - Stage 1 (ITT) ('20) --------------------------- 126
    76 ------ La Vuelta ciclista a España - Stage 16 (ITT) ('18) ------ 87

Not sure it matters much as he's 1'32" back and it's not a long TT, but what's Kelderman like vs those two?

Then there's another minute twenty back behind Kelderman.

I'm doing a big ride tomorrow so might miss the finish... anyone got an idea what time the finish will be with the clock change?
    Head to head kelderman Vs tgh, kelderman has been ahead in every TT.

Probably no more than 45 seconds in something like this, and tgh normally not been a contender for GC.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

7?

Ganna 4
    Tgh 2
    Narvarez
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    Pross said:

With that name?
    yes he is a londoner
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross said:

With that name?
    Definitely
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801

If Sunweb had chosen differently, I'm pretty sure the people who are most convinced Sunweb did the wrong thing on Stage 18 in our timeline would have been the same people being utterly convinced that Sunweb did the wrong thing on Stage 18 as they watched Kelderman fall off again today in the alternate one...

What we did learn today that cannot be in doubt is why Sunweb wanted yesterday’s stage shortened, and why Ineos didn’t. Kelderman was burst.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors

Pross said:

With that name?
    he is about scotish as jerk chicken

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

pettachi won 9 personally one year
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693

Pross said:

With that name?

You never had a deep fried jerk chicken chip supper then?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

Wow that was great!

So, who still thinks it was a bad idea for Hindley to follow TGH and Dennis the other day??? Should he have waited for Kelderman again today :smiley:

Kelderman's only like 1'32" back isn't he, so if he has a decent TT he could still place well.

Not picking on you Bob as a few have made similar comments but doesn't that result suggest they *should* have gone all in for Kelderman the other day?

We won't know for sure until after the TT but if you agree with Bri Smithy about Kelderman limiting his losses to ~1 minute on the Stelvio stage had he had help and factor in him getting help today had Hindley waited it's possible Kelderman could still be in pink.
    That assumes that TGH wasn't holding something back on the final climb to try and stave off Hindley's sprint though. It's plausible he could have gone quicker if Hindley wasn't there.
    Yes absolutely - the other day you mean? - I'm sure you are right and how much faster TGH would have gone is an unknowable just as how much faster Wilco would have gone with support then and today is unknowable.

I'm happy to leave it like that - just don't see today as proof positive Sunweb got it right - if anything I'd argue it favours the Brian Smith view.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585

Pross said:

With that name?
    yes he is a londoner
    Yeah I know, the first time I heard him speak it was a surprise. I'm just thinking if Brad is a Belgian then someone with a Gaelic name isn't English.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Pross said:

With that name?
    yes he is a londoner
    Yeah I know, the first time I heard him speak it was a surprise. I'm just thinking if Brad is a Belgian then someone with a Gaelic name isn't English.
    he was from my cycle club pross
  • mididoctors
    orraloon said:

Pross said:

With that name?

You never had a deep fried jerk chicken chip supper then?
    with deep, fried heroin chaser

• mididoctors

Wow that was great!

That assumes that TGH wasn't holding something back on the final climb to try and stave off Hindley's sprint though. It's plausible he could have gone quicker if Hindley wasn't there.
    Yes absolutely - the other day you mean? - I'm sure you are right and how much faster TGH would have gone is an unknowable just as how much faster Wilco would have gone with support then and today is unknowable.

I'm happy to leave it like that - just don't see today as proof positive Sunweb got it right - if anything I'd argue it favours the Brian Smith view.
    if wilco after the TT is with in 30 secs of the tao who wins then the argument hindley should of dropped back will be forever made.

if Hindley wins then no contest really
    if tao wins over Hindley marginally and wilco is out of it no contest too.

the argument will depend on how close wilco comes to the jersey
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

RichN95. said:

larkim said:

What's the tiebreaker rule that sees Hindley in pink?

It's done on the fractions of seconds in the Time Trials.
    Purely hypothetical, but what if, for example, TGH had .72 in the first TT and .58 in the second, would that add an extra 1.3 seconds to the overall? Or would the .3 seconds be used as the tie breaker? Has anywhere published the fractions?

No time would be added. It would just be 1.3 seconds v whatever Hindley had for who gets pink.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but from stage 3....

Tao now their best placed rider, 2'30" after Nibali in 24th place. With some freedom/support he could climb up to a top ten without too much bother.

There was some doubt expressed about this. I feel like I should have been more ambitious though
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Pross said:

Pross said:

With that name?
    yes he is a londoner
    Unlike Wales and Scotland England is and always was a melting pot.
  • mididoctors

Tao now their best placed rider, 2'30" after Nibali in 24th place. With some freedom/support he could climb up to a top ten without too much bother.

There was some doubt expressed about this. I feel like I should have been more ambitious though
    i had him and Hindley for white early on ...didn't think nibali et al would fall away so dramatically in the third
    that giro piled head first into the stelvio and parked up... like an express train hitting the buffers
  • mididoctors
    All that distance with no time gap ..should have just had the two of them do a tt and save everyone else the trouble
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801

All that distance with no time gap ..should have just had the two of them do a tt and save everyone else the trouble

It's about the complete journey, not just the destination.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328

i had him and Hindley for white early on ...didn't think nibali et al would fall away so dramatically in the third
    that giro piled head first into the stelvio and parked up... like an express train hitting the buffers
    Nibali and Fuglsang talked a lot about the third week. Fuglsang had some traditional bad luck, Nibali.... didn't turn up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format