Spring (autumn) classics *spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Great, Carlton's new trick is Sean Kelly impressions.
  • Pross
    15 in the front group and the race will be between them. 1' 14" with 20k to go. Teuns by name isn't turns by nature. I don't think he has been through once yet despite Rowe dropping back to bully him a bit.
  • Pross
    3 DQS, 2 JV, 2 EF and 2 Lotto up front. One of the DQS boys ought to get in front of Teuns and leave a gap.
  • Pross
    Group splits with 9 up front. Either Sep or one of the Lottos left a gap just as Rowe went to the back. Teuns miraculously finds some legs to try to cross but is failing. All those back with Rowe have someone in the front group so I think it's over for him.
  • Pross
    edited October 2020
    Lead 9 are Bettiol, Senechal, Lampaert, Degenkolb, Kung, MvdP, WVA, Trentin and Petersen.
  • Pross
    Bettiol with a long attack, Senechal and Degenkolb follow. WVA closes with ease and rides off alone. MvdP trying to drag them across.
  • Pross
    Back together and Kung goes, WVA follows again. Bettiol and Senechal?? Join them. The others leave it to MvdP who can't close at first but eventually gets there.

Great race, my money is on Trentin who is playing a cagey game.
  • Pross
    Trentin pulls clear taking Bettiol and Senechal. WVA and MvdP watch each other as the race goes away from them. Pedersen bridges.
  • Pross
    Pedersen from Senechal and Trentin. WVA and MvdP marked each other into 8th and 9th. I only saw 30k but excellent race.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    This must be the first time that two classics have been won on the same day by two riders with the same surname.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Bloody hell, GCN app schedule was so unclear I missed most of that... 😩
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Great ride from Mads, very very cool in the finale. He rode that near perfectly all day, made all the splits
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    I enjoyed Blythe's input on commentary. As well as offering good insight he was more prepared to chip in and so reduced Carlton's airtime a bit which is a major plus point.
  • Pross
    Bit of a Wacky Races corner in the women's GW.
  • Pross said:

I enjoyed Blythe's input on commentary. As well as offering good insight he was more prepared to chip in and so reduced Carlton's airtime a bit which is a major plus point.

When the attacks were going at the Blythe was calling who was going next. Unfortunately Kirby kept prattling on about some other nonsense.

I wish the more competent guys could have a mute button to shut Kirby up when they are speaking :)
  • Pross
    Dodgy time gaps in the women's race. Showing 20" but by my reckoning it had closed to 15" and too many rider up front missing turns.
  • Pross
    I can see the front group messing around and getting mugged by someone from behind.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Emotional Cav at the end saying could be the last race of his career
  • Pross
    neonriver said:

Emotional Cav at the end saying could be the last race of his career

It would be a shame bit he really isn't showing any sign of getting back to his form.
  • Pross
    Front group now look like they'll stay away somehow. It looked nailed on they would be caught when the attacks started.
  • Pross
    D'Hoore takes the sprint. Decent final 20k.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    As above:

Legendary career but you have to think it’s over now.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Sad if true but unfortunately he has never recovered from the effects of Epstein Barr virus.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    It's a bit strange from Cav, I thought he was down to ride Scheldeprijs, which is much more his type of race. I wonder if something's changed?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I'm sure i read yesterday that negotiations were still ongoing
  • Just watched the very good men's race, but you just knew that the two Vans only had eyes for each other. Not too important this week, but of the both do the same next week, there's some French bloke who is new to the Ronde but rumoured to be a bit useful going up ramps.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    They are both relatively young and working out how to win. No one is going to tow WvA to the finish, so he needs another plan such as looking at how Sagan won his monuments when faced with the same problems.

I thought Trentin played it really well and saved his legs, but ultimately didn't have enough.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Pross said:

Totally agree. He was a breath of fresh air. Also enjoyed Connor Dunne on the Giro the other day (yesterday?). It's the year of the youngsters.

A brilliant edition, btw. Most enjoyable I can remember. I decided to watch the Giro live and the finale of this on catch-up. I watched the start and got so engrossed that I ended up watching the whole coverage.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet