Spring (autumn) classics *spoilers*

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited October 2020
    JA leads front three into final Cobbled climb...

Playing his usual games

MvdP takes over looking solid
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited October 2020
    I....he did it again!!!

No he didn't, but he bloomin' nearly did. MvdP totally screwed up the sprint
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

You'd back MvdP on the sprint so what's going on.

classic. JA wins the sprint.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Alaphilippe nearly throws it away again with an early celebration. MvdP got boxed, I think he was expecting Cosnefroy to fade much sooner and leave a gap but it never came.

The front of these races is becoming very predictable!
  • rick_chasey
    looks like mvdp screwed up positioning.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Amateur night from Alaphilippe doing that again.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Pross
    Just enough of a drift across by JA again, not dangerous but probably just enough to stop MvdP.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Sounds like and amazing finish/last few kms! I'll have to look up the video highlights. Thanks ddr + rc for the live feed ;)
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    dabber said:

Amateur night from Alaphilippe doing that again.

Absolutely mental. Imagine if he'd thrown it away again? You'd think he'd still be sprinting through the mixed zone after that nonsense on Sunday.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    edited October 2020
    So Mr Showbiz won another bike race.
    Not going to learn the easy way is he?
    So far this season, The Second Coming has only managed to win the WinkyBinky Bankywanky.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey

So Mr Showbiz won another bike race.
    So far this season, The Second Coming has only managed to win the WinkyBinky Bankywanky.

Peaking for Flanders though innit.
  • So Mr Showbiz won another bike race.

Peaking for Flanders though innit.
    Well, it's a bit late in the day for my fantasy classics team but it would help.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    ddraver said:

Tom Pidcock is currently second, at 18s as he enters the final lap of the e-MTB World Championships...

WTF is e-MTB?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    DeadCalm said:

ddraver said:

Tom Pidcock is currently second, at 18s as he enters the final lap of the e-MTB World Championships...

WTF is e-MTB?
    Electric mountain bikes
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    ddraver said:

Important call... ;)

It's everyone's favourite KOM, Cosnefroy

They have 20s and growing over the semi-heavyweight chasers

Just watched on catch up. That was a lot more entertaining than I anticipated.

Cosnefroy was my favourite comedy moment at the Tour but he's really stepped up so far in the recent classics. Hes still only 24 One to watch in the hillier racrs in the future maybe?

MVDP shows once again that he's very good but not exceptional. ;)
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

DeadCalm said:

ddraver said:

WTF is e-MTB?
    Electric mountain bikes
    Seems horribly unfair - Pidcock is right tiny so the 250 watts from the e bike would give him way more benefit than an 80 kilo rider.

Unless they account for that somehow.
  • ddraver
    edited October 2020
    I don't think it's taken very seriously...

Have a look at the start list and you'll find a few blasts from the past who were clearly there for the lolz
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158

RichN95. said:

DeadCalm said:

ddraver said:

WTF is e-MTB?
    Electric mountain bikes
    Seems horribly unfair - Pidcock is right tiny so the 250 watts from the e bike would give him way more benefit than an 80 kilo rider.

Sport isn't fair. It rewards specific physical characteristics over others.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

DeadCalm said:

ddraver said:

WTF is e-MTB?
    Electric mountain bikes

Sport isn't fair. It rewards specific physical characteristics over others.
    This would be like horse riding as it would reward tiny little midgets
  • ddraver
    Look at the swanky jerseys they get...

- @ddraver
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    DeadCalm said:

ddraver said:

Important call... ;)

It's everyone's favourite KOM, Cosnefroy

They have 20s and growing over the semi-heavyweight chasers

Just watched on catch up. That was a lot more entertaining than I anticipated.

Cosnefroy was my favourite comedy moment at the Tour but he's really stepped up so far in the recent classics. Hes still only 24 One to watch in the hillier racrs in the future maybe?

MVDP shows once again that he's very good but not exceptional. ;)
    Despite the mocking here about Cosnefroy and the TdF KOM, he shouldn't be underestimated. He was U-23 World Champion in 2017 in a race which included Pogacar, Hirschi, Kämna, Sivakov, and Martinez, and he might yet still develop into a useful one-day racer.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Second at Fleche and third here today would suggest that development is well underway.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Tactical masterclass by JA in the Brabantse Pijl. Yes, he showboated again, yes he almost threw it away again, yes he does his usual irritating expressive movements in the final km's, but that was winning a race when you are not necessarily the strongest (at least in the final sprint).
    Something My Man MvdP hasn't ever proven he is able to do (Amstel doesn't count. He attacked way too early and paid the price there and was able to turn it around in the end because JA and Fuglsang waited around for too long at the sprint AND because he is MvdP and is utterly world class among the world class).

JA let MvdP lead out. Cosnefroy jumped early like he has to as the weakest sprinter, MvdP easily closed the gap and then JA waited and waited and then jumped. He didn't go full gas immediately in the sprint, but rather passed MvdP and held it there, boxing him in before kicking again. By the time MvdP was able to jump and pass JA, he ran out of road.

Outstanding by JA, despite all the irritating other things he does.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    edited October 2020
    I'd still be kicking him square in the bolIocks for his finish line bellendery if I was Lefevere
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    So Lille Metropole is heading into maximum alert tonight probably. That means, for example, bars are closing and we now have to wonder if they'll let Paris-Roubaix go ahead now. I personally think it should (with crowd restrictions if necessary) but I we'll see...
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Just watched the BP finish...loved the way MvdP ducked his head under the raised arm of JA.
    Half man, Half bike
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    PR route, today

*licks lips*

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    gweeds said:
    I'm running a marathon the previous day so this looks like a perfect recovery day for me. I hope they've checked the new times don't create an issue with trains at the level crossings!