Spring (autumn) classics *spoilers*

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    That looks bad
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,483
    Yeah, fearing a bit for him from that brief close up of him on the ground.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Yes rewatching it think Rich is correct about the DQ
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • salsiccia1
    Other riders stopping was not a good sign either
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Ackermann DQed apparently.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited October 2020
    Not surprised. DQed for the KO.
    Bad.
    For some reason I just can't take to Ewan though.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • In Cav retirement watch, he pocketed his race number off his bike on the run in
  • Philipsen complaining that Bonifazio boxed him in, then Merlier turns up to complain to Philipsen that had done the same to him.
    Imo, a bit more to JP's complaint that Merlier's.
  • salsiccia1
    edited October 2020
    Seems that Jensen (the guy who crashed hard) is not seriously hurt:

Norske August Jensen i stygg velt: – Takk Gud for at det ikke er alvorlig https://t.co/L8BinzK7ky
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Bummer, missed this PTP too.......
  • Pross

Norske August Jensen i stygg velt: – Takk Gud for at det ikke er alvorlig https://t.co/L8BinzK7ky

That's good news, the lack of movement and blood covered face didn't bode well. He was really lucky not to get hit by multiple riders while he was down.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Pross said:

That's good news, the lack of movement and blood covered face didn't bode well. He was really lucky not to get hit by multiple riders while he was down.
    Credit to the CCC rider who swerved him and the Bahrain-Merida guy who tried unsuccessfully) to bunny hop him.

Bora not exactly covering themselves in Glory with this statement on the relegation:
    https://www.bora-hansgrohe.com/en/news/argonnews202010scheldeprijs/argonnews202010scheldeprijs/424887864

"This was clearly miss-judged from the jury. Pascal found a hole and launched his sprint without touching any rider. Unfortunately, one guy touched his back wheel then and took a fall. But this was a racing incident we see quite often. From my view this is simply the wrong decision. It’s a pity for Pascal but also for all the other guys as they did a really good job today in the finale."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597

In Cav retirement watch, he pocketed his race number off his bike on the run in

His wife stating on Twitter that he was removing it to give to a fan, it wasn’t symbolic.

He’s also said that he made the ‘last race’ comments at rumours that all the classics might be cancelled.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.

Bora not exactly covering themselves in Glory with this statement on the relegation:

One Bora rider did though

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,606
    They should change the finish...
  • Pross
    Has anyone seen rider do that before? Stop, hand bike to another rider and then go and check on the faller? Maybe it was because the whole thing was visible in the background but I can't recall seeing anything like it and it made me think there was real concern.

It was the first time I've ever seen the race and I can't work out why it has such high status other than because of its usual place in the calendar.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Pross said:

It was the first time I've ever seen the race and I can't work out why it has such high status other than because of its usual place in the calendar.

Exactly that. Normally we'd have had Harelbeke, Gent-Wevelgem, the 3 days of De Panne, RVV and then are waiting for Roubaix. It fills a gap.
  • Take a look at the list of previous winners. I suspect that has a lot to do with the status.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    It's "the sprinty one". Makes sure the top sprinters turn up for the other races where they only get a sniff of a chance every few years
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2020
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between what Ackerman did in the sprint yesterday and what Sagan did in the sprint yesterday?

Apart from the obvious difference in consequences, they both swung out with no thought to the riders behind.
  • rick_chasey
    Finish is always crashy though, has been for long enough that for over a decade the big sprinters who can also do flanders avoid mixing it up in the final km.

Need to change it.
  • DeVlaeminck

Can anyone explain to me the difference between what Ackerman did in the sprint yesterday and what Sagan did in the sprint yesterday?

Apart from the obvious difference in consequences, they both swung out with no thought to the riders behind.

Well Sagan didn't take someone's front wheel out.
  • DeVlaeminck

• Like I say, other than the consequences I don't see a difference.

It's just unfortunate that there was a front wheel near Ackerman's back one, and there wasn't a front wheel near Sagan's
  • rick_chasey

Like I say, other than the consequences I don't see a difference.

It's just unfortunate that there was a front wheel near Ackerman's back one, and there wasn't a front wheel near Sagan's

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited October 2020

Well Sagan didn't take someone's front wheel out.
    To be fair I wouldn't want to be looking behind in the Schelde sprint
    In which case he would have needed wing mirrors to see Jensen back there.
    He saw the door in front suddenly open wide and went for it.

Sagan, on the other hand would use that maneuver if the door opened just a crack.
  • Pross

It's becoming quite a habit with Sagan too. It's a tricky one, I agree that it should be the manoeuvre and not the consequences that get punished but if no-one is even forced to slow down it's a bit tricky. The actual circumstances need to be considered - was there space, did the rider check first etc. (Sagan got lucky to be honest). To take it to the extreme, if someone approaching the line on a solo victory suddenly swerved across the road you wouldn't penalise them as there's no risk to anyone as soon as it gets to two riders there are grey areas.
  • DeVlaeminck

Isn't the relevant bit that there wasn't a front wheel near Sagan's back wheel? It's not like he made someone brake, veer or even stop pedalling.

It's not a case of judging the consequences.
  • Like I say, other than the consequences I don't see a difference.

Isn't the relevant bit that there wasn't a front wheel near Sagan's back wheel? It's not like he made someone brake, veer or even stop pedalling.

It's not a case of judging the consequences.
    Yet that's what you seem to be doing.
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    Delete. Wrong thread