• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

Paris Roubaix cancelled now. Absolutely gutted

Tell me about it. It isn't that surprising though. Looks like I'll definitely be going to Flanders now (if that goes ahead) even though going into Belgium is strongly advised against (I'll be cycling and hanging about alone so I don't think it's a risk) I think it could have been done but politically it wouldn't make sense to force bars to close while allowing people to congregate. A great shame. As I said above, Paris-Roubaix is more important to the Belgians than the French.
  • nickice
  • nickice
    Beat me to it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Thanks.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,680
    I suppose you could say we’ve been lucky to get so much racing packed into the restarted season but it’s still pretty devastating news to find out about Paris-Roubaix being cancelled.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Absolutely gutted.

Have to say though that with the clashes with the giro and vuelta, even though it's great to have so much cycling on, it does feel like the one day classics are being undermined a bit. Perhaps it's just me feeling this though.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    gweeds said:

PR route, today

*licks lips*

It's going to rain, isn't it? Proper mud and cold and wet and no race on it :'(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Well at least the doom and gloom mongers finally get the satisfaction of making a correct call.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    For fucks sake. Gutted.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • nickice
    So Florian Sénéchal is in the French press not blaming the French government for cancelling a race that could have gone ahead (with restrictions) nor blaming the virus.

Who's fault is it? Yes, of course, it's the people who don't respect the guidelines 'for the last few months'. Whereas travelling around Europe with a cycling team is respecting the guidelines...
  • nickice said:

So Florian Sénéchal is in the French press not blaming the French government for cancelling a race that could have gone ahead (with restrictions) nor blaming the virus.

Who's fault is it? Yes, of course, it's the people who don't respect the guidelines 'for the last few months'. Whereas travelling around Europe with a cycling team is respecting the guidelines...

How many pro cyclists have tested positive for Covid though?

If Europe had the rate of infection of the peloton bubbles we would be all be going on European holidays.
  • nickice

nickice said:

How many pro cyclists have tested positive for Covid though?

If Europe had the rate of infection of the peloton bubbles we would be all be going on European holidays.
    A few that we know about and probably even more that we don't. I can understand a cyclist being desperate to avoid it, at all costs, both for health and professional reasons. They can't then expect others to have the same attitude.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,587
    You do worry about the other races too, now
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'm worried about the Giro getting to Milan, if I'm honest 😕
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Or the Vuelta starting.
  • Pross said:

Or the Vuelta starting.

Unless the National government overturns the Basque government's recent decision, I think the race will definitely start.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vuelta-a-espana-fans-banned-from-basque-climbs/

Spain's numbers have started to decline a bit, too, so that might help.

However, Madrid is definitely a problem.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Mark Cavendish the break of the day in #gentwevelgem

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Can't see them wanting to 'take him to the line' :)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,587
    Enjoy it lads. I have a rare opportunity since corona to see a close friend so I shall be missing this. Will watch tomorrow morning while I work.
  • Pross
    Just turned the Giro on, is it worth switching over to GW?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross said:

Just turned the Giro on, is it worth switching over to GW?

Yep.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    We've had Daniel Oss in a ditch, heavy crosswinds, and currently two select front groups about 20" apart
  • Pross
    Who's the Ineos rider at the front? Insane power by WVA and MvdP on the climb to close the gap.
  • Pross
    Ah it's Rowe. I didn't recognise him, thought it was Lawless. Kung taking some catching despite a very strong chasing group. MvdP's support managing to touch wheels and crash.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Wil be crosswinds in the final. nice.
  • Pross
    Too many people missing turns. Blythe making the point that Sep is known for dodging his turns and possibly pays the price with other riders.