TDF 2020 - Stage 15: Lyon - Grand Colombier 174.5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    zest28 said:

I already saw it yesterday. Roglic was not even pushing to his limits and he was already dropping Bernal. So not surprised about this result.

So if an out-of-shape Tom Dumoulin can also beat Bernal, Ineos is in real trouble. Even ex-support riders from Team Sky (Richie Porte) is beating Bernal.

But considering the amount of money Ineos has, they will probably buy Roglic, Porte and Pogacar for next year :p

They already have Porte and A Yates.
  • Pross said:

hypster said:

I've never been impressed by Bernal and I don't think he is a good fit for Sky/Ineos. Lucky to win last year i think and the team would have still won with Thomas if they had just put the team behind him. Following that they would have been in a much better position this year as well with Thomas at the head. Personally I would let Bernal go.

A bit harsh, he was excellent in support of Thomas in 2018.

Need to give JV credit where it’s due. kruijswijk got 3rd last year behind only Bernal and Thomas with guys like Laurens de Plus pulling him and he didn’t even make the tour this year, and I believe Bennett crashed out early. You add Roglic, Domoulin, WVA, Kuss and and healthy Bennett and it’s a ridiculously strong team.
  • Absolutely no relevance to the race, but I do like the Isadore advert, makes me smile
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited September 2020
    Highlight for me was, having destroyed ineos, WvA decided to chill on Bernal’s wheel for a couple km.

Very baller
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    For all this talk of how strong JV are, would Sky/Ineos in their prime have not used one of their train and towed 10-15 riders to the top of a finish like that?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited September 2020
    For uran 3rd is like winning considering who is in front and who is behind. Porte is doing well. WvA coming with Bernal must be disheartening if you aren't on JV. Takes one bad day and Roglic is out of the lead. Not likely to happen but Simon Yates Giro is an example of when it goes wrong.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited September 2020
    I am more impressed by Pogacar in 2nd considering he has no team support what so ever.

It makes you wonder what Ineos is doing.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    r0bh said:

For all this talk of how strong JV are, would Sky/Ineos in their prime have not used one of their train and towed 10-15 riders to the top of a finish like that?

At their very best the Sky top two would have ridden away from a group like that.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited September 2020
    Bernal could be mentally destroyed by this year's take a year off to recover, and still compete for the White Jersey in 2022.

Let's not write him off as a one hit wonder just yet...

No way Pog doesn't try an attack against Rog either,remember he'd be in yellow if it wasn't for cross wind mistakes. No way is this over.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • zest28 said:

I am more impressed by Pogacar in 2nd considering he has no team support what so ever.

It makes you wonder what Ineos is doing.

He had more support than Ineos today
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    amrushton said:

... Takes one bad day and Roglic is out of the lead. Not likely to happen but Simon Yates Giro is an example of when it goes wrong.

We should be so lucky. Yates was riding with some style/panache/aggression. Roglic + JV are about as exciting as the watching the Tour caravan but without the opportunity for free tat.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169

Highlight for me was, having destroyed ineos, WvA decided to chill on Bernal’s wheel for a couple km.

Very baller

Not baller. Baller would have been JV winning the stage. Not saying that's what WvA was doing but gloating over a clearly beat opponent is just petty.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    edited September 2020
    What If Pogacar has a bad day .
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Why is there still so much focus on Sky/Ineos?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194

Because they've won 7 of the last 8 editions maybe?
  • rick_chasey
    Harry182 said:

Very baller

Not baller. Baller would have been JV winning the stage. Not saying that's what WvA was doing but gloating over a clearly beat opponent is just petty.
    *eyeroll* go watch cricket or something
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

Very baller

Surely more just a sign of how bad a day Bernal had? It's a stretch to say he destroyed Ineos, despite their team looking weak this year Kwia and Carapaz?? were sitting comfortably in the group and dropped back to look after Bernal. Even Rolland managed to sit in the group after being in the break which shows how slow they were going. They lost 7 minutes in what, 8 or 9kms so WVA did that it a few km less.
  • zest28
    Harry182 said:

Very baller

It is baller.

One of the things JV did this year was studying Team Sky and Michael Jordan.

So what you saw WvA doing is part of the plan, destroy your opponents just like MJ used to do.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    edited September 2020
    r0bh said:

Because they've won 7 of the last 8 editions maybe?
    Except last year, with two riders who aren't here and one who is retired.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020

Jungels getting knocked off on the way down.
  • Harry182 said:

Very baller

Not baller. Baller would have been JV winning the stage.
    Thought baller was having a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a six four Impala?

• Jungels getting knocked off on the way down.
    That could well be the medic team that treated Higuita after his crash.
    If it was, then one of the two "K"s, Karma or Kudos, just not sure which.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158

Jungels getting knocked off on the way down.

The ambulance men shouldn't have let Higuita drive
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey

Harry182 said:

Very baller

Not baller. Baller would have been JV winning the stage.
    Thought baller was having a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a six four Impala?

Me and my wife are both quite short and I tried very hard to make that the first song at the wedding.

Alas.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Ineos 2021 with two of their domestiques in the top 6...
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • zest28
    DeadCalm said:

Is it really confirmed that Richie Porte will ride for Ineos next year? I just don’t see it happening.

Bernal: “Richie, stop climbing so fast! Who do you think we are? Team Sky?”

Richie: “Ineos better have my check ready by the end of the month ..... “

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    zest28 said:

DeadCalm said:

Is it really confirmed that Richie Porte will ride for Ineos next year? I just don’t see it happening.

Bernal: “Richie, stop climbing so fast! Who do you think we are? Team Sky?”

Richie: “Ineos better have my check ready by the end of the month ..... “

Dunno if it has been officially confirmed but it has been an open secret for quite a while. Porte has confirmed that he's leaving Trek and moving to a team to be a domestique.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pross said:

Very baller

Surely more just a sign of how bad a day Bernal had? It's a stretch to say he destroyed Ineos, despite their team looking weak this year Kwia and Carapaz?? were sitting comfortably in the group and dropped back to look after Bernal.
    It wasn't Carapaz - He got shelled on the earlier climb when well known mountain goat Tony Martin was on the front.

Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Was mentioned by Peter Kennaugh on the ITV coverage so I assume it's true. I thought it was just idle gossip before that.
  • It is a possibility that Bernal is a one hit wonder, like all other south American riders... in recent times Quintana of course, but going back there have been many who only lasted a season or two at the very top.

Tend to agree with some of this, just to say 'all other SA riders' I find a bit much.
    Uran has had a very respectable career, and to different lower-prominence degrees, several others too (e.g. Chaves, Botero).
    One of the first Columbians in Europe, Lucho Herrera, set a standard which it sometimes seems people now almost expect from them all. Whilst forgetting that those who have done best in Europe were, compared to Bernal, a few years older than him when they first 'appeared' here (4-5 years older?) So probably had more stamina and (as importantly, if designated as a GC prospect in a team,) had developed a mental strength (if not there by nature). Bernal may just need a quieter couple of years to develop.
    It's probably best to just think his victory last year as that of a domestique (it happens - Aimar is the best example I've read of, but I suppose Pereiro counts too - although I think Pereiro has been underrated).