TDF 2020 - Stage 15: Lyon - Grand Colombier 174.5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Valverde 10 th

The TdF jumper for the over-35s competition (current leader, Valverde)

• Jungels getting knocked off on the way down.
    "What goes around, comes around"

(I'm not so neutral in my judgement about fault in the Jungels/Higuita incident as some of those in this forum)
  • Harry182 said:

Highlight for me was, having destroyed ineos, WvA decided to chill on Bernal’s wheel for a couple km.

Very baller

Not baller. Baller would have been JV winning the stage.
    Thought baller was having a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a six four Impala?

Me and my wife are both quite short and I tried very hard to make that the first song at the wedding.

Alas.
    A (half-)Dutchman who is quite short – I don't believe it. Or you mean under 2 metres?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    iainf72 said:

Pross said:

Highlight for me was, having destroyed ineos, WvA decided to chill on Bernal’s wheel for a couple km.

Very baller

Surely more just a sign of how bad a day Bernal had? It's a stretch to say he destroyed Ineos, despite their team looking weak this year Kwia and Carapaz?? were sitting comfortably in the group and dropped back to look after Bernal.
    It wasn't Carapaz - He got shelled on the earlier climb when well known mountain goat Tony Martin was on the front.

lol.

Curse of the procycling front cover or something.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    That was a really boring stage.

WvA is ridiculous - that was mental. Glad Pogacar pipped Roglic at the line, otherwise it would have been too easy.

Nice to see Richie turning back the years. Shame Yates couldn't make anything stick.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    jimmyjams said:

It is a possibility that Bernal is a one hit wonder, like all other south American riders... in recent times Quintana of course, but going back there have been many who only lasted a season or two at the very top.

Tend to agree with some of this, just to say 'all other SA riders' I find a bit much.
    Uran has had a very respectable career, and to different lower-prominence degrees, several others too (e.g. Chaves, Botero).
    One of the first Columbians in Europe, Lucho Herrera, set a standard which it sometimes seems people now almost expect from them all. Whilst forgetting that those who have done best in Europe were, compared to Bernal, a few years older than him when they first 'appeared' here (4-5 years older?) So probably had more stamina and (as importantly, if designated as a GC prospect in a team,) had developed a mental strength (if not there by nature). Bernal may just need a quieter couple of years to develop.
    It's probably best to just think his victory last year as that of a domestique (it happens - Aimar is the best example I've read of, but I suppose Pereiro counts too - although I think Pereiro has been underrated).
    Also has been a really weird season. See what Bernal is able to do in the next couple of years before writing him off - he is only 23.
  • rick_chasey
    jimmyjams said:

Harry182 said:

Very baller

Me and my wife are both quite short and I tried very hard to make that the first song at the wedding.

Alas.
    A (half-)Dutchman who is quite short – I don't believe it. Or you mean under 2 metres?
    yeah 'fraid so. I blame the Friesian blood.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    iainf72 said:

Pross said:

Very baller

Surely more just a sign of how bad a day Bernal had? It's a stretch to say he destroyed Ineos, despite their team looking weak this year Kwia and Carapaz?? were sitting comfortably in the group and dropped back to look after Bernal.
    It wasn't Carapaz - He got shelled on the earlier climb when well known mountain goat Tony Martin was on the front.

Who was the third Ineos rider then? I only switched on a the top of the second climb. Carapaz was the only one I could think might still be there.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Castroviejo.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    That sort of backs up the point that it wasn't really a "baller" by WVA to stay with them then and also that he wasn't exactly beasting it on the front when Quintana and Bernal got dropped.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited September 2020
    Pross said:

Who was the third Ineos rider then? I only switched on a the top of the second climb. Carapaz was the only one I could think might still be there.

Carapaz finished 27 minutes down today
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

jimmyjams said:

Harry182 said:

Very baller

Alas.
    yeah 'fraid so. I blame the Friesian blood.

• G Martin broken derailleur. Does that happen at this level? Campagnolo ?
  • RichN95.
    This is a hell of a jump in GC times in the top 20

• G Martin broken derailleur. Does that happen at this level? Campagnolo ?

Hangers are sacrificial, aren't they? Probably got caught by a pedal or something - there was quite a bit of jockeying for position going on.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860

G Martin broken derailleur. Does that happen at this level? Campagnolo ?

Electric?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Carapaz finished 27 minutes down today
    So before today he was in 13th place at around 6 minutes down, some of which he lost in the crosswinds? He seems to have limited his losses pretty well until today, it doesn't feel like the riding of someone who has been going all out to support Bernal. I'd assumed he was probably already half an hour down before today.
  • I enjoyed that today.
    Wouldn't necessarily want to watch it again tomorrow.
    But there's something entertaining about watching a dominant display.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2020

I enjoyed that today.

There is, but in the end there's an individual winner, so as some point I'd like to see that individual show they are the best themselves. At least the Sky winners did that at some point. Roglic is showing that he is the second best sprinter of the GC guys
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    edited September 2020
    I think calling this stage dull is missing the point a little. It was "dull" because WVA is insane! He rode such a high pace for such a long time, that he single handedly shed a bunch of pure climbers. It was utterly amazing to watch.

Bernal getting shelled was rather decent drama as well.

Wasn't a great stage, but I'd give it 6/10. :p
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    This feels a bit like that Vuelta (2012?) where Valverde and J Rod were getting to the (steep) finish climbs and sprinting against each other on seemingly every supposedly important stage.
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2020
    m.r.m. said:

I think calling this stage dull is missing the point a little. It was "dull" because WVA is insane! He rode such a high pace for such a long time, that he single handedly shed a bunch of pure climbers. It was utterly amazing to watch.

Was it that high a pace though. There were still 12 in the front group at the Flamme Rouge. This is a weird season. Some people have adapted better than others, largely due to where they live. Also there's rumours of a virus going around. Who knows what tomorrow may bring. For once some cyclists will be happy to get a positive test result.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Sure, but a guy you wouldn't be surprised at if he was riding around with Sagan dropped Quintana, Barguil, (possibly sick) Bernal etc.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    jimmyjams said:

Jungels getting knocked off on the way down.
    "What goes around, comes around"

(I'm not so neutral in my judgement about fault in the Jungels/Higuita incident as some of those in this forum)
    Does not cheer me up, and I am neutral.
    Sad when cyclists take a DM readership stance.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Pross said:

Was mentioned by Peter Kennaugh on the ITV coverage so I assume it's true. I thought it was just idle gossip before that.

Yeah I posted earlier that Pete said he was going back to Ineos on ITV. So guess it is done.
  • Bernal admitting his numbers weren’t good and he knew he was going to get dropped after the first climb. He said he feels like he lost 3 years of his life...I assume he means his numbers are what they were 3 years ago.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news/egan-bernal-rues-day-of-no-power-as-tour-de-france-bid-collapses/

• richard_t._biscuit
    richard_t._biscuit Posts: 246
    edited September 2020
    Jumbo were dominant à la Sky of old, but ultimately the Sky train worked because Froome could finish it off in a dominant fashion, either in the climbs or failing that the TT(s). I'm not convinced Roglic has that over Pogacar.
    Jumbo can control the race all they want, but if Pogacar is just a little bit stronger in the final of summit finishes and the TT, with only 40 seconds in a two horse race he can afford to sit on the Jumbo train just as much as Roglic and still have a damn good shot at GC.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020
    RichN95. said:

I enjoyed that today.

There is, but in the end there's an individual winner, so as some point I'd like to see that individual show they are the best themselves. At least the Sky winners did that at some point. Roglic is showing that he is the second best sprinter of the GC guys
    Loving this splitting of hairs between previous sky teams and this current jumbo.
  • RichN95. said:

I enjoyed that today.

Loving this splitting of hairs between previous sky teams and this current jumbo.
    I think there is a bit more than a hair splitting as to how Froome used to finish off the Sky train's effort and RoboRog trying to use an arguably stronger Jumbo train as an uphill sprint leadout.

Like I said during the stage, I didn't think it was possible to make the train concept look more boring than Sky, but Jumbo managed that too.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.