TDF 2020 - Stage 15: Lyon - Grand Colombier 174.5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited September 2020

Jumbo were dominant à la Sky of old, but ultimately the Sky train worked because Froome could finish it off in a dominant fashion, either in the climbs or failing that the TT(s). I'm not convinced Roglic has that over Pogacar.
    Jumbo can control the race all they want, but if Pogacar is just a little bit stronger in the final of summit finishes and the TT, with only 40 seconds in a two horse race he can afford to sit on the Jumbo train just as much as Roglic and still have a damn good shot at GC.

Pogacar is super strong indeed and he does it without support. He just sits on the JV train and gets it done. He is the only one who can beat Roglic.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232

RichN95. said:

I enjoyed that today.
    Wouldn't necessarily want to watch it again tomorrow.
    But there's something entertaining about watching a dominant display.

There is, but in the end there's an individual winner, so as some point I'd like to see that individual show they are the best themselves. At least the Sky winners did that at some point. Roglic is showing that he is the second best sprinter of the GC guys
    Loving this splitting of hairs between previous sky teams and this current jumbo.
    Exactly. Apparently, I woke my hungover dad up one morning with the question ‘would you rather be boiled in oil or eaten by a lion?’.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

RichN95. said:

I enjoyed that today.
    Wouldn't necessarily want to watch it again tomorrow.
    But there's something entertaining about watching a dominant display.

There is, but in the end there's an individual winner, so as some point I'd like to see that individual show they are the best themselves. At least the Sky winners did that at some point. Roglic is showing that he is the second best sprinter of the GC guys
    Loving this splitting of hairs between previous sky teams and this current jumbo.
    I think there is a bit more than a hair splitting as to how Froome used to finish off the Sky train's effort and RoboRog trying to use an arguably stronger Jumbo train as an uphill sprint leadout.

Like I said during the stage, I didn't think it was possible to make the train concept look more boring than Sky, but Jumbo managed that too.
    I tend to agree with this.

I think the issue for JV partly was/is that Pogacar is so strong. That meant no incentive for Roglic to attack say 2k from the end because Pogacar would have been able to match him and outsprint him (as he did anyway).

Shame about Pogacar's team support really as head to head he seems to be the only one who has an edge on Roglic. Roglic still having 2 teammates left meant there was less potential gain for Pogacar attacking earlier either.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    edited September 2020

Jumbo were dominant à la Sky of old, but ultimately the Sky train worked because Froome could finish it off in a dominant fashion, either in the climbs or failing that the TT(s). I'm not convinced Roglic has that over Pogacar.
    Jumbo can control the race all they want, but if Pogacar is just a little bit stronger in the final of summit finishes and the TT, with only 40 seconds in a two horse race he can afford to sit on the Jumbo train just as much as Roglic and still have a damn good shot at GC.

Laurent Jalabert thinks the same as you , Roglic could lose it on the TT. However leading on GC can bring out the best in riders in the time trial.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    The thing JV know by now that Pogacar is capable of sitting there and outsprinting Roglic but they don't know if he can sustain an effort. Then again, maybe they know Roglic isn't as strong as he appears and are therefore content to let Pogacar just chip away at the lead a few seconds at a time in expectation that it won't be enough before the TT. It's such a shame he lost that time in the crosswinds giving Roglic the cushion although had that not been the case Pogacar would potentially be leading and defending the jersey with his team would be difficult (would probably have led to more interesting tactics though from JV).
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    It certainly would have been more interesting for the race to have Pogacar in yellow yesterday
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153

I think there is a bit more than a hair splitting as to how Froome used to finish off the Sky train's effort and RoboRog trying to use an arguably stronger Jumbo train as an uphill sprint leadout.

Like I said during the stage, I didn't think it was possible to make the train concept look more boring than Sky, but Jumbo managed that too.

The thing is that some people frequently said about Sky's winners that they only won because of their team and that if Rider X had been their leader they would have won. And how it was impossible to beat them. But in each case (maybe not Bernal) their winner had shown clear superiority at some point.

Now, though, we may genuinely have a situation where the strongest team isn't lead by the best rider (although no worse than second best). And for all their dominance it's quite easy to envisage them not winning.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • That's why I liked it . Roglic playing a poker hand surrounded by domestiques of unknown capabilities on the day. Then WvA does an unbelievable turn - but still more believe able than Kireyenka.This wasn't stem boy puffing on his inhalers and riding away. This was racing at its best
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538

That's why I liked it . Roglic playing a poker hand surrounded by domestiques of unknown capabilities on the day. Then WvA does an unbelievable turn - but still more believe able than Kireyenka.This wasn't stem boy puffing on his inhalers and riding away. This was racing at its best

Seriously?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    edited September 2020
    RichN95. said:

The thing is that some people frequently said about Sky's winners that they only won because of their team and that if Rider X had been their leader they would have won. And how it was impossible to beat them. But in each case (maybe not Bernal) their winner had shown clear superiority at some point.

Now, though, we may genuinely have a situation where the strongest team isn't lead by the best rider (although no worse than second best). And for all their dominance it's quite easy to envisage them not winning.
    Straw man argument, as no-one here said the above argument.

There is also the obvious point that you can win the Tour and not be the strongest rider; bad luck with mechanical and getting caught out in cross winds is part of the job.

Pog is marginally stronger, though we'll see how he goes in the TT, but he had bad luck in the cross-winds.

Though no-one on Jumbo is stronger than Roglic for GC. That's nonsense to suggest otherwise.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153

Straw man argument, as no-one here said the above argument.

There's a world beyond this forum Rick
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I don't think the JV train is as strong as some people are making out. It wasn't like they stressed the whole field to the point where they couldn't counter when Roglic went. Richie Porte even took the lead in that department. Froome and the Sky train in the past would make mincemeat of this lot.
  • That's why I liked it . Roglic playing a poker hand surrounded by domestiques of unknown capabilities on the day. Then WvA does an unbelievable turn - but still more believe able than Kireyenka.This wasn't stem boy puffing on his inhalers and riding away. This was racing at its best

Unknown capabilities?
    You mean you missed the clue of having a recent Grand Tour winner take over from the runner up in Lombardia, so Roglic's best mountain support could keep his feet up?

Methinks you have been blinded by your dislike of the other lot and are seeing just what you want to see.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    hypster said:

I don't think the JV train is as strong as some people are making out. It wasn't like they stressed the whole field to the point where they couldn't counter when Roglic went. Richie Porte even took the lead in that department. Froome and the Sky train in the past would make mincemeat of this lot.

I suppose they haven't done a Gewiss off the front of the penultimate climb :neutral:
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited September 2020

That's why I liked it . Roglic playing a poker hand surrounded by domestiques of unknown capabilities on the day. Then WvA does an unbelievable turn - but still more believe able than Kireyenka.This wasn't stem boy puffing on his inhalers and riding away. This was racing at its best

Unknown capabilities?
    You mean you missed the clue of having a recent Grand Tour winner take over from the runner up in Lombardia, so Roglic's best mountain support could keep his feet up?

Methinks you have been blinded by your dislike of the other lot and are seeing just what you want to see.
    Yeah Bennett was on fire and dropped himself Dumous was definitely will he won't he. Would you have put your house on that elbow not going at 4 km. In fact I think it did and he had second thoughts.

Don't forget I said. On the day

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    The only hair to split between Sky and JY is whether or not you prefer your red white and blue arranged in a cross or horizontal stripes...

Funnily enough all my Dutch friends who used to think Sky were boring boring boring all think mountain trains are suddenly amazingly exciting.

(I am struggling to resist pointing this out, it's fair enough really)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    It must be massive for Dutch cycling to have a team with a dutch domestique win the tour. I bet they're just as excited in Germany, USA, New Zealand, Belgium and wherever the other fella is from.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,859
    It's up to the other teams to disrupt . A pact with Bora may be a good idea
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2020
    Instead of complaing about it we and other teams need to think what to do about it. Froomes first tour victory should never have happened .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey

Instead of control plain Ng about it we and other teams need to think what to do about it. Froomes first tour victory should never have happened .

It's the usual isn't it? Throw multiple threats at the problem at the beginning of the stage, burn off Jumbo early and make Roglic earn it himself.
  • mididoctors

Instead of control plain Ng about it we and other teams need to think what to do about it. Froomes first tour victory should never have happened .

It's the usual isn't it? Throw multiple threats at the problem at the beginning of the stage, burn off Jumbo early and make Roglic earn it himself.
    Worked against sky only for movistar to blow it .
  • rick_chasey

Worked against sky only for movistar to blow it .
    Pog is the leverage there. But I don't know how you use it without just putting him in yellow.
  • It's up to the other teams to disrupt . A pact with Bora may be a good idea

Bora need to put Bennett in the broom wagon, so they will be very interested in drilling it on the queen-stage for someone, or a select group, to go long.
  • I'm surprised Ineos didn't take moscon to disrupt JV.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

What a bizarre comment.
  • 50x11 said:

What a bizarre comment.
    Oh sorry. Did I not write all the words YOU think. I can't apologize enough 😅😂
  • ddraver said:

The only hair to split between Sky and JY is whether or not you prefer your red white and blue arranged in a cross or horizontal stripes...

Funnily enough all my Dutch friends who used to think Sky were boring boring boring all think mountain trains are suddenly amazingly exciting.

Yup, that's about the size of it.
    Two things that never seem to change in cycling.
    Nationalistic hypocrisy and the French always being able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver said:

Nationalistic hypocrisy and the French always being able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
    I'm not sure they've had the jaws of victory for while.
  • ddraver said:

I'm not sure they've had the jaws of victory for while.
    Dunno, it sometimes seems like victory has occasionally given Pinot a brief sniff before realising that his hopes have been dead for that long that even vultures would think twice...
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

ddraver said:

None worse for that than the Brits.

As it happens, the early collapse of the French challenge has made it a much duller race in my view. Sure, they'd have inevitably failed but Bardet, Martin and Pinot would almost certainly have attacked JV before now if misfortune hadn't respectively befallen them.

The complete collapse of Bernal hasn't helped either. The Bernal of 2019 would have been attacking by now.

Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet