TDF 2020 - Stage 13: Châtel-Guyon - Pas de Peyrol (Le Puy Mary) 191.5km *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    That hill is quite the finish
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    Harry182 said:

roscoe said:

Harry182 said:

Porte looking better than he has in recent memory.

Porte to Ineos a super domestique next year?
    If he keeps it up then he'll have come full circle. I think that's the last time I've seen him ride as strong in TdF.
    There was an article on the cycling news website and he confirmed he’s leaving Trek to be a domestique. Maybe Israel to support Froome?
  • roscoe
    The Ineos domestiques just don’t look up to it this year. Shame Sivakov crashed early on.
  • mididoctors
    Martinez crushing the Bora pair with his grinding legs is a tour memory . ... I will terminate your aspirations of victory ... and make you weep like children
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Hard to see anyone challenging the top two at the moment.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584

Martinez crushing the Bora pair with his grinding legs is a tour memory . ... I will terminate your aspirations of victory ... and make you weep like children

Haha.
    On the chase to Schachman.
    “Oh you’re on my wheel? I hadn’t noticed”
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

Roglic got this with one leg unless someone gets creative
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Agree.
    phreak said:

Agree.
  • rick_chasey

phreak said:

Slovenian 1-2 is most likely, surely.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403

phreak said:

Let's see how Roglic looks like in the last week.

Alaphilippe also looked unstoppable last year until he finally cracked in the last week.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,659
    zest28 said:

roscoe said:

Harry182 said:

Porte looking better than he has in recent memory.

Porte to Ineos a super domestique next year?
    Why the hell would he do that?

https://youtu.be/E-P2qL3qkzk
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • roscoe said:

The Ineos domestiques just don’t look up to it this year. Shame Sivakov crashed early on.

Don't think it's the domestiques that are the issue for Ineos.

As a squad they've got three main GC riders. One crocked himself, one ate all the pies, and the other wasn't enormously dominant even when he won the tour last year. It's hard to see what the domestiques could have done better for Bernal today - in the final climb he just didn't have it.
  • roscoe
    zest28 said:

phreak said:

Let's see how Roglic looks like in the last week.

Alaphilippe also looked unstoppable last year until he finally cracked in the last week.
    Roglic will have learned his lesson and has the experience of last years Vuelta as well. He doesn’t look as if he’s got any weakness at all this year.

Slovenian 1-2
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170

phreak said:

I can (would like to) see Pogacar gaining time. (I've never warmed to Roglic - can't seem to get behind him.)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    edited September 2020

phreak said:

Slovenian 1-2 is most likely, surely.
    True.
    The two Slovenians seem untouchable at this point, but the nature of the race will change over the weekend.
    When the most likely challengers at this point seem to be Porte and Landa, you know they already have one foot on the podium.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • phreak
    edited September 2020
    roscoe said:

They weren't really much good last year either. Quite often it was just Thomas and Bernal left on the final climb. On the PCS stats, they were 4th best team last year, and are 8th best this year, with Bernal the best placed individual in a frankly awful 42nd place. Just not there, which for the money they spend is not good. Something has gone wrong with the team.
  • mididoctors
    Kamna gasping for air like a fish out of water in that sprint...I bet he nearly passed out
  • rick_chasey
    Bernal "I'm looking at my numbers and I'm doing some of my best ever numbers"
  • mididoctors

Yeah maybe not at the right time ...long hard stage
  • Madouas giving us a prime example as to why the french can't win a modern Tour.
    A big wasted effort in the middle of nowhere, ending in the inevitable result.

In the end, a reasonable result for Madouas (4th); I picked the wrong FDJ for PTP but think him and Gaudu have potential, well next year (or perhaps thereafter or some day!)

Surprised Cavagna tailed off so much, never noticed where he was dropped.
  • rick_chasey
    Bennett looking *terrible* coming over the finish.
  • Bernal "I'm looking at my numbers and I'm doing some of my best ever numbers"

Trumpish.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020
    Dumoulin "Bernal wasn't giving a good impression, but then Ineos started setting the tempo super high, so i figured he was feeling good. In the end i'm pleased they decided to blow themselves up"
  • roscoe
    phreak said:

roscoe said:

They weren't really much good last year either. Quite often it was just Thomas and Bernal left on the final climb. On the PCS stats, they were 4th best team last year, and are 8th best this year, with Bernal the best placed individual in a frankly awful 42nd place. Just not there, which for the money they spend is not good. Something has gone wrong with the team.
    I wonder how much they’re missing Rod Ellingworth and Nico Portal?

Could it be the team has lost its identity, less English speaking riders? Not as strong a core.
  • phreak

Bardet was saying similarly the other day. You hope it's the lack of racing this year that leaves people fresh rather than a lack of testing due to COVID.
  • Hopefully Pogacar continues his trend of posting his power data to Strava. Would be nice to get a glimpse into how hard Primoz was pushing at the end / if Pogacar has lost power vs his monster 6.8 w/kg threshold climb earlier in the tour
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

Bardet was saying similarly the other day. You hope it's the lack of racing this year that leaves people fresh rather than a lack of testing due to COVID.
    Second that
  • rick_chasey
    jimmyjams said:

Trumpish.
    Second language tbf. It was Freibe asking the Qs so presumably you'll see it on ITV tonight.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    roscoe said:

phreak said:

roscoe said:

I wonder how much they’re missing Rod Ellingworth and Nico Portal?

Could it be the team has lost its identity, less English speaking riders? Not as strong a core.
    It is simply a Chris Froome in his peak not being there. You also saw last year how poor Ineos looked without Froome present.

You can spend all the money in the world, but if your leader simply does not have the legs as strong as the other GC's, it is going to be hard.
  • rick_chasey
    Super fun seeing a Tour winner hunched over his bars, wringing it out, zigzagging on an MTF, trying to stay in contention.

Feels like it's been a while since we've seen that.