TDF 2020 - Stage 4: Sisteron - Orcières-Merlette 160,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    And that is how this Tour will be won. With time bonuses from bunch sprints on MTFs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    I really hope someone thrashes Roglic. It's Valverde style racing. Incredibly boring.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Pogacar 2nd today
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    RichN95. said:

And that is how this Tour will be won. With time bonuses from bunch sprints on MTFs.

Who knew Thomas was such a pioneer?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,868
    Well that was a fun wait
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I know it's early days and also that attacking off the pace that Wout / Kuss were setting is near impossible but someone is going to have to go long or they'll be relying on Roglic having a bad day as he'll play that game every day.
  • mididoctors
    Martin went too early ...hell of a jump ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross

RichN95. said:

By comparison the distance Thomas was going from was like that Froome Giro stage. It was lucky Martin attacked eventually or it would have waited until the last 50m.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

By comparison the distance Thomas was going from was like that Froome Giro stage. It was lucky Martin attacked eventually or it would have waited until the last 50m.
    Martin would have won too
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

It's a flatish stage with a 7km climb at the end, with a flatish final km.

What were you expecting?
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

I know it's early days and also that attacking off the pace that Wout / Kuss were setting is near impossible but someone is going to have to go long or they'll be relying on Roglic having a bad day as he'll play that game every day.

The problem of the small time gaps no one feels as if they are out of it ... Even when they are
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

You keep saying this but this is the reality of Thomas two MTF wins. Maybe not dynamic, but there's not 16 people on the same time

• Shit Stage
    Shit Finish
    Boring riders
    What's the point in that

It's great to have it back isn't it? :)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

But are they really going that fast. The peloton was 30 strong under the flamme rouge. I realise it's not the hardest climb, but I've never seen an MTF sprint that big ever before.
  • mididoctors

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

It's a flatish stage with a 7km climb at the end, with a flatish final km.

What were you expecting?
    Pretty much that tbh hence why I picked roglic along with everyone else
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

But are they really going that fast. The peloton was 30 strong under the flamme rouge. I realise it's not the hardest climb, but I've never seen an MTF sprint that big ever before.
    The standard is high . And the standard deviation on watts per kilo across the peloton is shrinking every season
  • phreak
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Exactly. The fact it was a classics rider on the front says it wasn't that hard a pace. What a dull stage.
  • rick_chasey
    phreak said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Exactly. The fact it was a classics rider on the front says it wasn't that hard a pace. What a dull stage.
    Unnecessary shade being thrown on classics riders here.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

You keep saying this but this is the reality of Thomas two MTF wins. Maybe not dynamic, but there's not 16 people on the same time

If this is supposed to prove you right, I don't really see it.

Week one shortish mtf? Happens a lot. Happened in the 2008 Tour as well IIRC. The one the cobra won. Group of around 20 arrived more or less together.

Is it not just people aren't used to early week one MTFs where the MTF isn't all that selective?
  • mididoctors
    Bernal to go long on the Madeleine.. heard it here first
  • rick_chasey

Bernal to go long on the Madeleine.. heard it here first

He looks quite crooked on his bike this season.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Well, my PTP switch from Roglic to Pogacar not as big a disaster as it could have been.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

I've been confused by this too. I just went back and watched Stages 11 and 12 from 2018 as I thought my memory was playing up. Stage 11, Thomas attacked from over 5km, caught Dumoulin and left him standing and passed Nieve in the final km to win by 20 seconds. Stage 12 he won from a sprint of 4 riders having marked out Dumoulin when Froome attacked a few kms from the finish. I'm not quite sure what race Rick is thinking of.
  • phreak

phreak said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

The fact he had about 30 riders on his wheel suggests it wasn't a super hot pace. I'm sure Frenchie wouldn't approve of this dull style of racing.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Hirschi lost 38 seconds. Pogacar in white.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • RichN95.

Week one shortish mtf? Happens a lot. Happened in the 2008 Tour as well IIRC. The one the cobra won. Group of around 20 arrived more or less together.

Is it not just people aren't used to early week one MTFs where the MTF isn't all that selective?

If it was a one off then fine. But I watched the Dauphine and saw this every day until Roglic left.

2008 had a bit of a sprint. But on a cat 2, not a cat 1 and 16th place was 23 seconds back
  • rick_chasey
    phreak said:

phreak said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

The fact he had about 30 riders on his wheel suggests it wasn't a super hot pace. I'm sure Frenchie wouldn't approve of this dull style of racing.
    They could have attacked if they wanted to/could...

A quick reminder, they wouldn't have even been half way up the Alp after 7km.
  • rick_chasey
    Looks like Carapaz lost half a minute..?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

phreak said:

phreak said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

They could have attacked if they wanted to/could...

A quick reminder, they wouldn't have even been half way up the Alp after 7km.
    Or only about a third of the way up the reference climbs used by people who aren't newbies to the sport.

Ps the alpe d'huez climb is under 14km.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Top 20 from another early Cat 1 MTF in that 'boring' 2012 Tour for contrast

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 4:58:35
    2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:02
    3 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling
    4 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:00:07
    5 Rein Taaramae (Est) Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne 0:00:19
    6 Haimar Zubeldia Agirre (Spa) RadioShack-Nissan 0:00:44
    7 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:00:46
    8 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team
    9 Denis Menchov (Rus) Katusha Team 0:00:50