TDF 2020 - Stage 4: Sisteron - Orcières-Merlette 160,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Really enjoying using the Velon tracker whilst I'm unable to follow on TV. It's a great tool for seeing what's happening.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    To answer my own question, about 11C at the finish but perhaps warming up a bit by the time the peleton arrives. No wind and sun.

http://www.romma.fr/station_24.php?id=2&tempe=1
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Sagan really does seem out of sorts, doesn't he?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

Sagan really does seem out of sorts, doesn't he?

The missus thinks he's too skinny but I told her, you can never be too skinny as a pro cyclist
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    That was well played by DQS, the lead out rider almost took it himself but just dropped off in time to give Bennett maximum points and take the second place points himself. Sagan got a bit blocked but also doesn't seem to have proper sprint legs at the moment. Looks like Bennett is now in green, Ned and Millar suggesting it may be the first time Sagan has ever relinquished the green jersey.
  • Pross
    Looks like Sagan is still in green, equal on points but ahead on GC.
  • Carrick-on-Suir ends the 31 year drought in the Green Jersey competition

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross said:

Looks like Sagan is still in green, equal on points but ahead on GC.

The long drought continues
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    God, who's this on with David Miller and when will he go away?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    edited September 2020
    Pross said:

That was well played by DQS, the lead out rider almost took it himself but just dropped off in time to give Bennett maximum points and take the second place points himself. Sagan got a bit blocked but also doesn't seem to have proper sprint legs at the moment. Looks like Bennett is now in green, Ned and Millar suggesting it may be the first time Sagan has ever relinquished the green jersey.

Bonkers statistic on the Move podcast. Sagan has been in green on 126 race days of the TDF out of 154 raced. That's 82% of race days. By my reckoning, those 154 days include 9 first stages where he couldn't be in green.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Matt Rendell. He knows his stuff but isn't a natural commentator. Might improve though - I think this is the first year he's been asked to fill that role whilst Ned has a break, unless I've just forgotten from previous years.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    edited September 2020
    Matt Rendell is the guy who sounds like Old Father Time?

Hmmmm, I wonder who the guy is who I think is Matt Rendell then?!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Meh looks like my PTP idea of a breakaway day is not really happening with de Gendt.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited September 2020
    jam1e said:

Dunno. Maybe it's me that's wrong - my feed is frequently revealed to be half an hour behind everyone else's, so we might not be listening to the same voices...

It feels like ITV are trying to get more of a TMS feel to the commentary this year, with having more different voices taking rotating stints. Not sure they've got quite the right voices to do it though as they've got lots of summarisers but only one real commentator (eg Boulting). TMS works as it keeps the roles separate, albeit someone like Isa Guha is able to cover both roles. In principle though I like it - there's a lot of similarity in pace between the two sports.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Kelly talking about the 'frogs'.....is that something we do these days ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited September 2020
    jam1e said:

The easy way to tell if it's Matt Rendell is to time how long he can talk without mentioning Colombia. If it's more than 20 seconds it's not Matt Rendell.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine said:

Post brexit new normal
  • Pross
    jam1e said:

Daniel Friebe maybe?
  • Pross

Matt Rendell. He knows his stuff but isn't a natural commentator. Might improve though - I think this is the first year he's been asked to fill that role whilst Ned has a break, unless I've just forgotten from previous years.

Agreed, very knowledgeable but I was watching on my lunch break and had to get back to my desk as he was in danger of sending me to sleep.
  • Pross
    inseine said:

Only when cheese eating surrender monkeys is too much of a mouthful.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Had entirely forgotten QS will happily control it as it's a decent shout for Alaphilippe too.
  • rick_chasey
    Slow pace still likely to end up finishing after 5:30CET...
  • Almost ran out of petrol after dark around here.
    Quite frightening as it less of a one horse town, more of a one horse edpartment.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    What are the internet forum people saying so far??
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey

What are the internet forum people saying so far??

expecting nada till final 500m
  • mididoctors
    Not much. QS having faith here I guess .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Scott hiding in the wheels again .
  • Pross
    Yates feels like the sort of rider that could make it difficult for JA as he is more likely to go from further out. That said, it may rely on other teams believing that he isn't going for the GC. If they leave it until the last 500m JA showed last year he's more than capable of matching everyone. If Yates wants some time in yellow then today is his big chance.
  • What are the internet forum people saying so far??

Depends which forum. Clinic have identified a suspicious looking pine tree in some footage of Bernal, if that floats your boat?