Ineos Grenadiers

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited April 2023
    gsk82 said:

Marc Idiot is complaining about unfairness again because he can't attract enough sponsorship to compete with the big 4 who have won 73%, of world tour races between them this year so far; Jumbo Visma, UAE, Quick Step and Alpecin.

Ironic that Ineos who where salary cap calls only a few years ago aren't one of them. While one almost folded in 2013 and another has only been in the World Tour for a few months.

What Madiot doesn't seem to realise is that even if those teams had less money they would still attract the talent as they win. They don't want to a team that has few wins to show for 25 years in cycling.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    How many world tour races have Quick Step won this year.
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2023
    webboo said:

Eight. But only stage wins.

UAE Tour - four stages (Merlier 2, TTT, Evenpoel)
    Paris-Nice - one stage (Merlier)
    Tirreno - one stage (Jakobsen)
    Catalunya - two stages (Evenepoel 2)

Although the last time FdJ had eight WT wins in a season was 2018.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440
    webboo said:

Eight.

Which is the same as UAE. Jumbo-Visma have won eighteen, Alpecin-Decuenick have seven and Ineos have just three.
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2023
    Alpecin have been a Pro Conti or WT team since 2019. In that time they have 12 WT wins (excluding stages).

Since the WT started in 2009, FdJ, Ag2R, Total Energies and Cofidis have all been around from 2009. Between them they have only won eight races in a combined 56 and a bit seasons. Between them they are equal to Kwiatkowski, Kristoff, Van Aert and Porte, but behind Simon Gerrans.

French cycling at the highest level has long been broken and it's everyone else's fault but theirs apparently.

(I'm debating against my own Amstel Gold PTP pick here)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    RichN95. said:

Alpecin have been a Pro Conti or WT team since 2019. In that time they have 12 WT wins (excluding stages).

Since the WT started in 2009, FdJ, Ag2R, Total Energies and Cofidis have all been around from 2009. Between them they have only won eight races in a combined 56 and a bit seasons. Between them they are equal to Kwiatkowski, Kristoff, Van Aert and Porte, but behind Simon Gerrans.

French cycling at the highest level has long been broken and it's everyone else's fault but theirs apparently.

This was I couldn’t understand why Madiot was railing on.
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2023
    webboo said:

This was I couldn’t understand why Madiot was railing on.

He's a consistent failure making excuses. He, just like Lavenu at AG2R and Cofidis generally, has been in a comfort zone for 25 years. Cruising along with the same sponsor guaranteed. At least Bernandeau at Total Energies has had to keep finding sponsors, so I'd give him some slack.

France have the richest man in the world currently. Who is going to him saying let's win this for France? French cyclists have done well on the rare occasions they leave French teams (who ironically probably pay more).
  • andyp
    RichN95. said:

I'm not sure I understand this - are you claiming that since 2009 those four French teams have only won eight WT races? Because Arnaud Demare, alone, has won eight Giro stages (plus a couple of Tour stages).

Do you mean stage races?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,713
    Why would you exclude stages?
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,168
    Smells of sour grapes...and bitter that he can't run a successful cycling team in the modern era.

Alpecin (formerly Corendon/Beobank) are relative newcomers, but are far more successful than those French teams. They also give their sponsors good value, all year round, whether on road, or off-road; they currently have the CX, Gravel, XCC, XCM World Champions on their roster...as well as 2 of the 3 Monuments run this year.

His team has probably had a bigger budget for most of the last 15 years than Alpecin - yet all he does is moan. Instead of doing something to improve his team, he wants a cap.....so he doesn't have to change. Absolute dinosaur.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Why would you exclude stages?

Because a stage isn't the race. The race winner is whoever won the GC.
    One winner per race makes the counting simpler.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,713

Because a stage isn't the race. The race winner is whoever won the GC.
    One winner per race makes the counting simpler.
    A stage is a race as well.
  • RichN95.

Mainly because stage wins aren't listed on the World Tour page on Wikipedia
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    You do wonder if evenepoel’s efforts on GTs are slowing QS progress on the one day front.

Normally their top rider is a cobbles rider. Now they have to split their efforts
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,567

You do wonder if evenepoel’s efforts on GTs are slowing QS progress on the one day front.

Normally their top rider is a cobbles rider. Now they have to split their efforts

I think in all racing at the minute you either have one of the big riders, who are miles clear of the rest, or you don't. They could have one for grand tours but they certainly don't for the classics.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    edited April 2023
    gsk82 said:

I think in all racing at the minute you either have one of the big riders, who are miles clear of the rest, or you don't. They could have one for grand tours but they certainly don't for the classics.
    Yeah. I think Evenepoel is one of them, but they’re saving him for the GTs
  • andyp
    andyrac said:

Smells of sour grapes...and bitter that he can't run a successful cycling team in the modern era.

Alpecin (formerly Corendon/Beobank) are relative newcomers, but are far more successful than those French teams. They also give their sponsors good value, all year round, whether on road, or off-road; they currently have the CX, Gravel, XCC, XCM World Champions on their roster...as well as 2 of the 3 Monuments run this year.

His team has probably had a bigger budget for most of the last 15 years than Alpecin - yet all he does is moan. Instead of doing something to improve his team, he wants a cap.....so he doesn't have to change. Absolute dinosaur.....

That's bullsh1t though. His team have won a couple of monuments, almost won the Tour a few years back, have got a rider on the podium and won multiple stages. Groupama-FDJ might not be the best WT team, but they are arguably the best team in France. They definitely punch at their weight, if not slightly above.

You can accuse Madiot of many things, but he's no dinosaur. His team might not be at the bleeding edge of innovation, but they are fast followers.

Alpecin have got lucky, in the sense that Van der Poel has proven to be their major asset. If you take him and Jasper Philipsen out of the equation, then their roster is no better than Arkea-Samsic or Cofidis.
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2023
    andyp said:

His team have won a couple of monuments, almost won the Tour a few years back, have got a rider on the podium

Nikki Terpstra's won a couple of monuments. Their only Grand Tour Podium in around 75 efforts came when a lot of favourites crashed out. In 25 editions of the Tour they have won 10 stages. This is not a team that's done well.
  • RichN95.
    In the last week at work I have asked on several occasions what's the problem with Ineos Grenadiers. I start typing out my reply about how Froome crashed, Bernal crashed and they don't really have an solid identity anymore.

Then I remember I work for a car insurance company and it's because they are new manufacturer with not much data.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,567
    edited May 2023
    Their Giro team looks good for stage wins and a top 5 overall:

Thomas
    Georghan Hart
    Ganna
    Sivakov
    Arrensman
    De Plus
    Swift
    Puccio
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308
    gsk82 said:

Their Giro team looks good for stage wins and a top 5 overall:

Thomas
    Georghan Hart
    Ganna
    Sivakov
    Arrensman
    De Plus
    Swift
    Puccio

I would be surprised if Thomas or TGH didnt get top 3. Outside of Roglic and Remco the field is thin. Vlasov and Almeida arent good enough IMO. Vuelta 2020 Carthy maybe.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,808
    That's a strong team and G has the ability to do what he did last year. Let Rog and Remove battle out and grind his way to 3rd
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,808
    I've just noticed there's no Luke Rowe?

I thought he was going to support G?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,185
    No Luke Rowe on latest episode of Watts Occurring, unavailable, Wout Poels took his place. Illness of some sort?
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    COVID perhaps? Seems to be working its way through the peloton at the moment
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,380
    Luke AWOL from Watts Occurring again this week, Swifty deputising
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103
    Haven't seen anything from him on Instagram for a while either.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Maybe someone should create a "should Luke Rowe just retire already" thread.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,185
    r0bh said:

And no mention of why. He did crash during Paris Roubaix, was it? Consequences?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103
    orraloon said:

r0bh said:

And no mention of why. He did crash during Paris Roubaix, was it? Consequences?
    He finished though and given he was out of contention I can’t see him pushing on if injured. Nothing showing up on his schedule on Pro Cycling Stats either.