Ineos Grenadiers

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,835
    Maybe he's got some personal stuff going on.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,364
    daniel_b said:

Maybe he's got some personal stuff going on.

That was my assumption
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,484
    Maybe someone gave him a cargo bike and some paint and told him to get going on the new Bannau Brycheiniog signs?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,652
    He's just posted a cyclo-thirst trap on Insta

(Roubaix)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,754
    Luke back on the podcast.

His Mum passed away :(
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,796
    Ah that's really sad for him
  • r0bh
    Watts Occurring giro pods have been great so far, well worth a listen
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,161
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Not a shabby weekend between road and MTB
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,238
    edited May 2023
    JimD666 said:

Not a shabby weekend between road and MTB

A little unnoticed, in Hungary Ben Tulett came second overall (behind Hirschi) and Bernal was 8th.

They seem to be the preferred buyers for Manchester United too.

And their cars/vans got taken off the blocked list with my employers (which I had a role in)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    RichN95. said:

In the last week at work I have asked on several occasions what's the problem with Ineos Grenadiers. I start typing out my reply about how Froome crashed, Bernal crashed and they don't really have an solid identity anymore.

Then I remember I work for a car insurance company and it's because they are new manufacturer with not much data.

Do they keep ending up on their door handles? Can they handle an excursion into the hedgerows? Are they expensive to get back on the road?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,652
    Good at marketing

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,830
    Broken sat-nav?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JimD666
    It's probably the only time it'll see a field
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,610
    ddraver said:

Good at marketing

Does it look nice when you take it out of the box?
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 484
    Looks like another year with no Grand Tour victory for Ineos.

Can’t see who is going to get them their next one. Arensmen looks promising enough. Rodriguez? Will Bernal make it back? Tao? Plap? Pidcock? So many decent riders but have they got what it takes going forward?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,754
    First GT of the year - Multiple days in pink. Second place by 14 seconds and three in the top ten. I’d guess they are happy with that.

Stages for the tour I imagine and see how Egan fares and if Tom P can last?

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Might TGH be back for the Vuelta?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,418
    phreak said:

I'd be very surprised if he races again this season. There's zero chance he'll be fit enough to ride the Vuelta.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 484
    phreak said:

He’ll probably be back next season.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,980
    It felt very much like they focussed their main GT effort on the Giro this season. I can’t decide if they’ll be happy with the result or not in the end. With Remco going home early it was a golden opportunity but then losing one of their GC threats plus Ganna going early and Sivakov leaving at the point where he would of really come into play didn’t help them. I suspect they’ll be disappointed not to have got a stage win.

Three riders in the top 10 with one of their two leaders crashing out was quite an achievement but possibly also shows where they are at present with a whole host of GC top 10 riders but no real candidate to take on Pog or JV.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,989
    Lefevre still warning them off Remco - I presume he means that rather than him wanting to cash in on his best asset before retiring.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 304

First GT of the year - Multiple days in pink. Second place by 14 seconds and three in the top ten. I’d guess they are happy with that.

Stages for the tour I imagine and see how Egan fares and if Tom P can last?

I think it is very much a suck it and see Tour for them. Is Bernal even going? I assumed it was Rodriguez and Pidcock as there main hopes and seeing how far they can go.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,484
    Pidcock is currently racing MTB, so I doubt they're looking much at GC for him
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • JimD666

Not too sure he's even that interested in it. Fairly sure he'd rather be racing MTB than 3 week GT's when he's the GC rider
  • r0bh

Tom P has been with the road squad on Mount Teide recently
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,418

He's not, he's preparing for the Tour in Tenerife. I don't know if he's doing any more MTB races before the Tour, or even after, as I presume he'll be doing the road worlds.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,444
    edited May 2023
    I strongly doubt Tom Pidcock can develop into a GC rider to rival Pogacar (probably not even Vingegaard).
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,238
    m.r.m. said:

I strongly doubt Tom Pidcock can develop into a GC rider to rival Pogacar (probably not even Vingegaard).

But perhaps better than anything that Ineos have bar a 100% Bernal;. He''s shown climbing and TT credientials.

Ben Tulett, who won the Tour of Norway today is one to note. Ohterwise they'll be trying to court Evenepoel or maybe Ayuso.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 304

No he’s not. He is, or at least was a couple of days ago, with the TDF lot on Teide