Ineos Grenadiers

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    And I agree with the second bit about Ineos and Fdj.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Skoda (green jersey sponsor and a whole bunch more) and Citroen (AG2R sponsor next year) both also make some pretty big vehicles which some might consider cycling unfriendly...
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    RichN95. said:

As I said it's no worse than UAE or Bahrain's human rights abuses (for sure!), and very few of the teams have "cuddly" sponsors anyway. So I appreciate it is a pretty minor issue in the scheme of things, and I would still rather there was money in cycling than not (in the case of Ineos at least).

You right. Building a utility vehicle is no worse than widespread human rights abuse. In the same way as changing your line in a sprint is no worse than serial killing.

If Ineos where sponsored by Unicef they'd be blamed for not saving all the children. And if FdJ were renamed Buy Landmines people would coo about how Pinot will ensure they're used responsibly
    If ineos were sponsored by UNICEF I'd be asking why these massive organisations that are supposed to be helping people, feel the need to waste so much money on things like sponsoring a cycling team and a massive office in prime real estate central London.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    gsk82 said:

RichN95. said:

As I said it's no worse than UAE or Bahrain's human rights abuses (for sure!), and very few of the teams have "cuddly" sponsors anyway. So I appreciate it is a pretty minor issue in the scheme of things, and I would still rather there was money in cycling than not (in the case of Ineos at least).

You right. Building a utility vehicle is no worse than widespread human rights abuse. In the same way as changing your line in a sprint is no worse than serial killing.

If Ineos where sponsored by Unicef they'd be blamed for not saving all the children. And if FdJ were renamed Buy Landmines people would coo about how Pinot will ensure they're used responsibly
    If ineos were sponsored by UNICEF I'd be asking why these massive organisations that are supposed to be helping people, feel the need to waste so much money on things like sponsoring a cycling team and a massive office in prime real estate central London.
    People like you don't understand how the world works.
  • 50x11 said:

gsk82 said:

RichN95. said:

People like you don't understand how the world works.
    How rude!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    gsk82 said:

<

Ineos even getting flack for something I've made up.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Is there a way to block a thread?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Its definitely better than their last jersey.

I would actually like to wear those patriotic colours but I am still uncomfortable with the sponsors.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Just realised what the kit reminds me of. US Postal
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Is there a Godwin's rule In cycle racing?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,550
    Interesting that Land Rover are advertising the new Defender during the ITV Tour coverage.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    I've just realised that Ford appear to no longer to a partner for Ineos Grenadiers. They seem to be using Mercs as their team cars now...
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash said:

I've just realised that Ford appear to no longer to a partner for Ineos Grenadiers. They seem to be using Mercs as their team cars now...

That makes sense considering this

• dish_dash said:
    "You need something that will give good range and will be fairly autonomous in the sense of travelling into the hinterlands of Africa or Australia,”

I bet about 95% of the Grenadiers sold will be transporting children to school in West London.
  • RichN95.

dish_dash said:

I bet about 95% of the Grenadiers sold will be transporting children to school in West London.

I doubt it. Look at the thing. It's not winning any beauty contests. No-one wants to be seen in one at Waitrose.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

dish_dash said:

I doubt it. Look at the thing. It's not winning any beauty contests. No-one wants to be seen in one at Waitrose.
    You could say the same about many other SUVs, to be fair.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Solar powered recharging is more likley accessable than hydrogen stations in the middle of nowhere where tbh . Hydrogen economy is bs and imo . Where you going to get the hydrogen from .. electrolysis from renewables ... ? Might as well just charge the car up and save a step ... Hell you could take solar panels with you for emergency (But admittedly very slow ) top up . Hydrogen doesn't store well hence why hydro carbons are such a good fuel ... Petrol is Insanely practical ..shame about the climate and all ... Hydrogen sourced from gas and oil is no solution and green wash promoted by guys like Radcliffe ... " Clean" when used by the car but really trying to promote crypto fossil fuel use . ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    They are trying to preserve the business model that fuel is obtained from stations rather than charging up in your garage
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • They are trying to preserve the business model that fuel is obtained from stations rather than charging up in your garage

And extracted from the north sea...
  • RichN95.
    edited November 2020

They are trying to preserve the business model that fuel is obtained from stations rather than charging up in your garage

I think you may be greatly overestimating how many cars are kept in a garage.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621

Solar powered recharging is more likley accessable than hydrogen stations in the middle of nowhere where tbh . Hydrogen economy is bs and imo . Where you going to get the hydrogen from .. electrolysis from renewables ... ? Might as well just charge the car up and save a step ... Hell you could take solar panels with you for emergency (But admittedly very slow ) top up . Hydrogen doesn't store well hence why hydro carbons are such a good fuel ... Petrol is Insanely practical ..shame about the climate and all ... Hydrogen sourced from gas and oil is no solution and green wash promoted by guys like Radcliffe ... " Clean" when used by the car but really trying to promote crypto fossil fuel use . ...

Batteries take time to charge, so anything that is in continuing use is better using hydrogen. Batteries also don't work as well with big things such as buses and trains.

If hydrogen becomes more easily shipped, then it can be made in the Australian desert for example. Yes, it is harder to transport than LNG, but there are solutions.

Carrying solar panels is a non starter. You'd need a lot of them.

As ever with these discussions, I doubt anyone will change their mind.

• Solar powered recharging is more likley accessable than hydrogen stations in the middle of nowhere where tbh . Hydrogen economy is bs and imo . Where you going to get the hydrogen from .. electrolysis from renewables ... ? Might as well just charge the car up and save a step ... Hell you could take solar panels with you for emergency (But admittedly very slow ) top up . Hydrogen doesn't store well hence why hydro carbons are such a good fuel ... Petrol is Insanely practical ..shame about the climate and all ... Hydrogen sourced from gas and oil is no solution and green wash promoted by guys like Radcliffe ... " Clean" when used by the car but really trying to promote crypto fossil fuel use . ...

Batteries take time to charge, so anything that is in continuing use is better using hydrogen. Batteries also don't work as well with big things such as buses and trains.

If hydrogen becomes more easily shipped, then it can be made in the Australian desert for example. Yes, it is harder to transport than LNG, but there are solutions.

get shot of private cars and live closer to work. that might mean working closer to home or working from home, but the existing model is dead...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775

get shot of private cars and live closer to work. that might mean working closer to home or working from home, but the existing model is dead...
    The idea that a car is mainly used for travelling to and from work amuses me.
    I have been following that principle for the majority of my life though. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I have smashed my contracted mileage on my new car and it was pretty generous already, and I do zero commuting miles.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    pblakeney said:

The idea that a car is mainly used for travelling to and from work amuses me.
    I have been following that principle for the majority of my life though. 😉
    Well main or not, it's a significant portion of car use. That's why we have rush hours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Electric bikes are really gaining traction ... Buses may have the recharge problem but swap out batteries may make that moot
  • TheBigBean

Electric bikes are really gaining traction ... Buses may have the recharge problem but swap out batteries may make that moot

Amazon considered this and went with hydrogen powered forklifts. Swapping the batteries needed to be done more often than refueling.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited November 2020

Amazon considered this and went with hydrogen powered forklifts. Swapping the batteries needed to be done more often than refueling.
    Electric forklifts have been around forever. I used to drive one many years ago but took my test on a propane fuelled truck.
    Amazons problem is working 24hrs a day and zero down-time.
  • TheBigBean

Electric forklifts have been around forever. I used to drive one many years ago but took my test on a propane fuelled truck.
    Yes, so they replaced electric ones with hydrogen ones. Propane ones are still not the most healthy.