Comments

• 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    They used Froome and G to launch a kit specific for the tour
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    50x11 said:

Watching the video on FB (and indeed most promo stuff with cyclists), I do find it a bit weird that they are literally in lycra all the time, even when nowhere near a bike. You don't see footballers on Soccer Sunday in their full kit. Do they not have non-lycra team clothing?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    phreak said:

50x11 said:

Watching the video on FB (and indeed most promo stuff with cyclists), I do find it a bit weird that they are literally in lycra all the time, even when nowhere near a bike. You don't see footballers on Soccer Sunday in their full kit. Do they not have non-lycra team clothing?

They do, but in this occasion they were launching the new kit, so you'd expect someone to model it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    I think the athletes could move away from the kit in other occasions better if the teams stayed consistent and not sponsorship driven in their naming. Then everyone knows what the kit basically looks like every year like with Juventus, Barca, Real Madrid or Bayern.

That Jumbo Visma = Rabobank is probably utterly unknown to the wider audience. It's a shame, because it disrupts the building of tradition and fan loyalty to a team; which would directly translate to $$$.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m. said:

I think the athletes could move away from the kit in other occasions better if the teams stayed consistent and not sponsorship driven in their naming. Then everyone knows what the kit basically looks like every year like with Juventus, Barca, Real Madrid or Bayern.

That Jumbo Visma = Rabobank is probably utterly unknown to the wider audience. It's a shame, because it disrupts the building of tradition and fan loyalty to a team; which would directly translate to $$$.

Thats the whole problem with cycle racing sponsorship. mostly national sponsors on an international stage. Kind of wasteful as 90% of audience of no value to the sponsor.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    but then what needs to come first. Take the sport global with local sponsors, or wait until you get global sponsors and only race in Europe ?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    edited August 2020
    This isn't just a Tour re-brand, eh? They'll be the Ineos Grenadiers going forward...

Also, their main vehicles may still be Ford, but a prototype Grenadier will be following the team 'around the world'....

• "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,785
    Wot? No discs?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • inseine said:

gsk82 said:

Anyone who buys a grenadier is likely to be a cyclist hater.

I'd hate cycling too if I had to ride on bikes like that.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited August 2020
    pblakeney said:

Wot? No discs?

Apparently there are disc versions but as the main opposition are on rim brakes why risk the TDF just to sell a few bikes to gullible punters.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    dish_dash said:

This isn't just a Tour re-brand, eh? They'll be the Ineos Grenadiers going forward...

Also, their main vehicles may still be Ford, but a prototype Grenadier will be following the team 'around the world'....

Thought it was just for the tour? Or are you just speculating?
  • RichN95.
    50x11 said:

dish_dash said:

Thought it was just for the tour? Or are you just speculating?

I thought that too. I hope it's long term as they don't look like Arkea anymore
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,714
    Thanks god it no longer looks like arkea samsic from the heli
  • dish_dash
    My reading of the press release is that the team is now officially rebranded Ineos Grenadiers, starting from the Tour de France.

Dave talking about how it epitomises their purpose.

Froome saying he'll be racing the Vuelta as a Grenaider, and Thomas looking forward to wearing the new kit at the Giro.

https://www.ineosgrenadiers.com/article/ineos-grenadiers-launch-ahead-of-tour-de-france

@rick_chasey - I thought you'd be pleased that they don't look like a darker Arkea
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Find it a bit incongruous to have a cycling team all-in for what is a very cycling-unfriendly car, but I suppose it's no worse than half the other sponsors in the world tour.
  • pblakeney

Find it a bit incongruous to have a cycling team all-in for what is a very cycling-unfriendly car, but I suppose it's no worse than half the other sponsors in the world tour.

McLaren seem to agree with your point of view.
    They are bailing out after only one year.
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/mclaren-is-pulling-out-of-headline-sponsorship-at-bahrain-mclaren-team-confirms-464636
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dish_dash

It's just linking up Radcliffe's various interests. So they wear Belstaff, are called Grenadiers, launch at Nice Football Club etc

I find the drivers are usually more of an issue, rather than the car. But out of curiosity what is a cycling friendly car?
  • RichN95.

Are we still doing this nonsense? It's a working vehicle. You can try and do conservation work or farming in a Prius if you like, but you'll look a fool doing it. There's a world beyond your postcode.

• RichN95. said:

Are we still doing this nonsense? It's a working vehicle. You can try and do conservation work or farming in a Prius if you like, but you'll look a fool doing it. There's a world beyond your postcode.

They'll still sell more in sw3 than anywhere else.
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2020

RichN95. said:

They'll go bust if that is true.
    There is a world outside your doorstep, or country even.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

I doubt it. Look at the thing. It's not winning any beauty contests. You don't see boxy vehicles like that in the Waitrose car park.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

G Wagons are pretty damn popular. Mercedes were careful not to alter the design too much as apposed to Land Rover with the Defender.
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95. said:

Yeah, sure, but how many farmers are watching cycling and making their car purchasing decisions based on the sponsors? I don't have any problem with its use as a working vehicle, but in this country - presumably one of their main target markets for this exercise, being a British based team and all - do you really believe that will be their main use? Given the rumoured price being close to £50k...

Riding where I ride (Cheshire) there are a lot of SUVs like this on the roads, very few of which are being used as working vehicles. If you believe that's going to be the main use for the Grenadier then I think you're being very naive.

As I said it's no worse than UAE or Bahrain's human rights abuses (for sure!), and very few of the teams have "cuddly" sponsors anyway. So I appreciate it is a pretty minor issue in the scheme of things, and I would still rather there was money in cycling than not (in the case of Ineos at least).

• G Wagons are pretty damn popular. Mercedes were careful not to alter the design too much as apposed to Land Rover with the Defender.

Car design has come such a long way since the 1920s.....

Just not in this case.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    The actual new Defender is perfect for the Chesire Set though....

Given that Orica - who are literal Earth Rapists - raised little more than a murmur as a cycling sponsor, I find it hard to believe that the concerns about this are actually anything to do with the car...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver said:

The actual new Defender is perfect for the Chesire Set though....

Given that Orica - who are literal Earth Rapists - raised little more than a murmur as a cycling sponsor, I find it hard to believe that the concerns about this are actually anything to do with the car...

I did say quite clearly that it's no worse than what half the other sponsors get up to (Ineos was already pretty bad in that regard).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    In general like...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.

As I said it's no worse than UAE or Bahrain's human rights abuses (for sure!), and very few of the teams have "cuddly" sponsors anyway. So I appreciate it is a pretty minor issue in the scheme of things, and I would still rather there was money in cycling than not (in the case of Ineos at least).

You right. Building a utility vehicle is no worse than widespread human rights abuse. In the same way as changing your line in a sprint is no worse than serial killing.

If Ineos where sponsored by Unicef they'd be blamed for not saving all the children. And if FdJ were renamed Buy Landmines people would coo about how Pinot will ensure they're used responsibly
  • bobmcstuff
    You know full well that I know human rights abuses are worse than utility vehicles... And I expressed my opinion about that at the time when those countries invested into the sport (you know, when it was most relevant). But engaging in "whataboutery" and equivalence doesn't really make any difference to whether things are individually bad or not.

The fact that some sponsors engage in human rights abuses (and using the teams to whitewash their image) doesn't excuse the other sponsors who are doing environmentally questionable things (who are either using the teams to greenwash their image or just because the owners want a bit of fun, depending on your take on it).

Shoving someone into the barriers is bad, serial killing is, it should go without saying, much worse - but that hardly excuses shoving people into the barriers does it*. Expecting cycling journalists and people on a cycling forum not to comment on that is ridiculous.

*note I haven't expressed much opinion on the whole sprinting issue except to say that downhill sprints are a dumb idea. And even then someone still saw fit to disagree with basic GCSE physics. I think making everyone sprint in lanes would be daft.