Grand Départ Covid Countdown: General Chat and Info thread.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    ddraver said:

????

(wouldn't be unlike Equipe to over-egg that pudding though...)
    So Jumbo are saying the opposite in the Dutch paper...
  • ddraver said:

????

(wouldn't be unlike Equipe to over-egg that pudding though...)
    So Jumbo are saying the opposite in the Dutch paper...
    Spread confusion among your enemies innit.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited August 2020
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited August 2020
    Best line in that "Thomas not being included was not a surprise".

Savage.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Best line in that "Thomas not being included was not a surprise".

Savage.

But it was though. I don't think anyone suggested that he wouldn't be picked. With Froome plenty did.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • How are hotels organised this year?
  • How are hotels organised this year?

Secretly. Not published in the roadbook this year.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    edited August 2020
    Bianchi (Jumbo-Visma)
    BMC (NTT Pro Cycling)
    Cannondale (EF Pro Cycling)
    Canyon (Movistar; Team Arkea-Samsic)
    Cervélo (Team Sunweb)
    Colnago (UAE Team Emirates)
    De Rosa (Cofidis)
    Eddy Merckx (AG2R La Mondiale)
    Factor (Israel Start-Up Nation)
    Giant (CCC)
    KTM (B&B Hotels-Vital Concept p/b KTM)
    Lapierre (Groupama-FDJ)
    Merida (Bahrain-McLaren)
    Pinarello (Ineos Grenadiers)
    Specialized (Bora-Hansgrohe; Deceuninck-QuickStep)
    Ridley (Lotto-Soudal)
    Scott (Mitchelton-Scott)
    Trek (Trek-Segafredo)
    Wilier (Astana; Total Direct Energie)
    https://www.bikeradar.com/features/pro-bike/tour-de-france-bikes/

Nice to see a KTM in there, something new and of course Factor bikes.
  • Here we go again.
    Bora forced out of the Bretagne Classic and a few hours later it's sorry, but it was a mistake.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bora-hansgrohe-rider-tests-negative-for-covid-19-hours-after-positive-test/

They need to sort this quick to avoid turning the Tour into a farce.
    Seems the ASO have made the right call with initially only pulling single infections.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Tricky either way isn't it ? You don't want a positive rider mingling with others ?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Looking at the profile of Stage 1, does anyone know how technical the final 11 kilometre descent is? I know the bottom is 30 kilometres from the finish but Thomas de Gendt has said he'd be targeting the stage which suggests it isn't the shoe-in for a sprint I'd imagined it to be.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Movistar can't help themselves. Soler drafted in to join Valverde and Mas at the Tour.
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash said:

Movistar can't help themselves. Soler drafted in to join Valverde and Mas at the Tour.

It looks like a team selected to win the team competition
  • DeadCalm said:

Looking at the profile of Stage 1, does anyone know how technical the final 11 kilometre descent is? I know the bottom is 30 kilometres from the finish but Thomas de Gendt has said he'd be targeting the stage which suggests it isn't the shoe-in for a sprint I'd imagined it to be.

Here you go:

https://www.la-flamme-rouge.eu/maps/viewtrack/263443

One twisty section but the rest looks fairly straightforward.
    A couple of pitches of 9% in there but mostly it goes downhill at just a few %.
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

Here you go:

Thanks.

Looks straightforward enough that it ought to be one for the sprinters who can get over a climb. I guess the doubt might spring from there not being many teams with much of an incentive to chase?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    RichN95. said:

dish_dash said:

that's always their goal. It does apparently generate a lot of publicity for them. Anything else is a bonus
  • DeadCalm
    amrushton said:

RichN95. said:

dish_dash said:

that's always their goal. It does apparently generate a lot of publicity for them. Anything else is a bonus
    Fancy EF Education may be giving the team competition a bit of a go this year but I find it difficult to look beyond Jumbo-Visma.
  • DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

Here you go:

Thanks.

Looks straightforward enough that it ought to be one for the sprinters who can get over a climb. I guess the doubt might spring from there not being many teams with much of an incentive to chase?
    Is a Yellow Jersey in the Tour de France not incentive enough? Especially a Tour where being in Yellow could see you winning a truncated race
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

Here you go:

Thanks.

Is a Yellow Jersey in the Tour de France not incentive enough? Especially a Tour where being in Yellow could see you winning a truncated race
    Yes, but you're only going to work for a sprint stage if you've got a realistic chance of winning a sprint. I make that NTT, Cofidis, B&B Hotels and Deceunik. Anyone else? If Cofidis and B&B get someone in the break (which I'd expect them to try to do) you only have two teams chasing and the possibility of a strong break staying away. I'm not saying it's likely, just trying to make sense of why de Gendt is saying that he's targeting the stage.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    DeadCalm said:

amrushton said:

RichN95. said:

dish_dash said:

Fancy EF Education may be giving the team competition a bit of a go this year but I find it difficult to look beyond Jumbo-Visma.
    Don't really think so. The almost mentally handicapped American podcasts keep blathering on about "Rigo" Uran being a GC contender etc.
    I'd expect EF to play a two horse race with Uran and Martinez for a GC placing (5-8).
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeadCalm
    m.r.m. said:

DeadCalm said:

amrushton said:

RichN95. said:

dish_dash said:

Don't really think so. The almost mentally handicapped American podcasts keep blathering on about "Rigo" Uran being a GC contender etc.
    I'd expect EF to play a two horse race with Uran and Martinez for a GC placing (5-8).
    Higuita and Carthy won't win either but I'd imagine they'll place okay on most mountain stages giving EF a decent showing. As I say, I don't expect them to win but they have a history of going for it.
  • Cavagna replaces Stybar who has a knee injury.
  • ddraver

has a knee injury.

I sympathise 🙄

- @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

Here you go:

Thanks.

Yes, but you're only going to work for a sprint stage if you've got a realistic chance of winning a sprint. I make that NTT, Cofidis, B&B Hotels and Deceunik. Anyone else? If Cofidis and B&B get someone in the break (which I'd expect them to try to do) you only have two teams chasing and the possibility of a strong break staying away. I'm not saying it's likely, just trying to make sense of why de Gendt is saying that he's targeting the stage.
    Lotto Soudal, of course, but if de Gendt is up the road, they aren't going to chase.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Covid surge in France not looking good ....bu66er
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    It is VERY localised though...

I'm starting to think 1 or two odd stages may not happen. Unfortunately the first stage is a prime candidate for that...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2020
    ddraver said:

It is VERY localised though...

I'm starting to think 1 or two odd stages may not happen. Unfortunately the first stage is a prime candidate for that...

The media are the weak link. They'll not isolate and will mingle the general public without precautions in bars and restaurants. They'll try and break into team bubbles. And then if it all goes pear shaped they'll blame anyone but themselves.