Grand Départ Covid Countdown: General Chat and Info thread.

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    edited August 2020
    Just by way of an example, a colleague of mine has tested positive about 2 weeks ago after being on holiday with someone who tested positive, but he has had no symptoms at all. In April, he would not have been tested (just told to self-isolate).
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    And plenty of us had symptoms back in March yet weren't tested because it wasn't available (mine subsequently confirmed via an antibody test)
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • davidof said:

It is hard to make sense of the latest French data. Lots of new cases but no-one getting ill enough to go to hospital. Is it just increased testing finally coming online?

Pretty much what the Swiss expert was saying when questioning the UK putting them back on the quarantine naughty list.
    I think the bottom line is that most of the new infections are among the young, so few are ending up in hospital.
    As long as health services are not pushed to cope and death rates remain low, governments will try to keep things up and running, while reintroducing things like compulsory masks.

Anyhow, if Jumbo can play mind games, so can the Grenadier guards:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-egan-bernal-still-not-fully-recovered-from-his-back-injury/
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    i have a hunch that Bernal might not be the same forceas his caution and maturity increase.

I suspect he will still win everything though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

inseine said:

i think Whittle might mean red zones rather than red alert....

Yes, you are correct.
    More info on CN, but no mention of possible race cancellation:

Tour de France race director Christian Prudhomme previously said he was against holding the race behind closed doors but accepted that crowds would have to be strictly limited at the starts and finishes of stages and on the categorised climbs during stages 1 and 2 around Nice. Blackout panels will transform the start and finish into closed areas. On Thursday evening, only 1,000 people were allowed to attend the Tour de France team presentation.

According to the Alpes-Maritimes health authorities, the number of new cases diagnosed in the past seven days has reached 97 per 100,000 population. French prime minister Jean Castex classified 19 different French departments as red zones, making the wearing of masks obligatory.

Only people on bikes and on foot, equipped with a mask, will be authorized to access the Rimiez coast on Saturday and the Colmiane, Turini, Quatre Chemins and Eze passes on Sunday.
    The conspiracy theorists in The Clinic will love that one 'Why have they blacked the area out and stopped access? Surely a sign that they are all hooked up to transfusions back there'
  • https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-releases/update-of-uci-protocol-for-the-resumption-of-cycling-competitions-regarding-the-grands-tours

The new measures are the following:

In the case of a positive test for Covid-19 during a Grand Tour, the organiser must do everything possible – but without being liable – to proceed as far as possible with a complementary test and a serological analysis before the following stage. These complementary examinations will be a very useful additional element in the global medical assessment, which will make it possible to evaluate the contagious character or not of the rider (or team member) and which will enable the regulatory measures to be applied.
    A rider or team member confirmed positive for Covid-19 during a stage race will be isolated according to the health regulations and will leave the event in question. As a matter of precaution, this measure will also apply if it has not been possible to carry out the complementary tests and the global medical assessment, as clarified further up.
    In the case of two or more riders from the same team testing positive for Covid-19 within a period of seven days at a Grand Tour, the UCI will give the event organiser authorisation to announce the withdrawal of the team for health reasons, on the condition however, that the global medical assessment carried out confirm the positive cases.

Some interesting wording included there.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited August 2020
    ddraver said:

Ultra runner, and winner of last year's UTMB, Pau Cappel has started his FKT attempt on the course in lieu of the actual race happening this year

Fail, cos of the weather it seems (miserable in The Alps too). His Race Time from last year (2hr 19) still stands as the FKT

Slow coach! 🙄

😶
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

Looking at the packed beaches in Nice at 7-30pm, I really can't see the race not going ahead as planned.

You're so excited for this race to not go ahead, have been since Covid emerged. You'll take a weird smugness if it does go down like you think. Bizarre.
  • All good news:

2 hour test returns will remove doubt.
    Two-strike, team out' rule remains but only for riders.
    So that significantly cuts the likelihood of teams dropping out en masse.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited August 2020
    dabber said:
    Be a larf if the only teams to be hit by the reversal were the French ones...

I think this is a prime example of how poor a government's response can be to the current situation.
    Micro managing the numbers game, while at the same time being either slow to respond, or to not respond at all, to obvious infection "loopholes" in regulations.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Best tactic may be get in yellow ASAP and stay there until the race finishes, one way or another. This could be one unusual TdF.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Best tactic may be get in yellow ASAP and stay there until the race finishes, one way or another. This could be one unusual TdF.

"Team sources told VeloNews the race will start Saturday with the original “two-strike” policy in place, which means that if two riders or staffers test positive for COVID-19 within a week, the team could be kicked out of the race."

Thinking upon the French teams, I wonder if they are the reason for the ambiguous wording......
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

"Team sources told VeloNews the race will start Saturday with the original “two-strike” policy in place, which means that if two riders or staffers test positive for COVID-19 within a week, the team could be kicked out of the race."

Thinking upon the French teams, I wonder if they are the reason for the ambiguous wording......
    Race to get a Frenchman in yellow and end the race?
    Tin foil chapeau conspiracy but I can see your thinking. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    " exponential rise" in new cases and the threat of a new national lockdown. It'll be interesting to see the crowds, or not, in a country that seems to have gone a bit rogue.
  • All good news:

2 hour test returns will remove doubt.
    Two-strike, team out' rule remains but only for riders.
    So that significantly cuts the likelihood of teams dropping out en masse.
    @blazing_saddles Many thanks for keeping this thread up to date on the rules and regulations as it has kept the Coronaphobics and their speculation back in their boxes.

My personal view is that because this is the TdF there is a desire to run the race to demonstrate the competency of the French. If it was a smaller race it would probably have been cancelled
  • Quite a few spectators out for la course
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Denmark with 8 riders starting the Tour.
    And no, your Irish can't claim Jul-Jensen ;-)

Søren Kragh Andersen (Sunweb)
    Casper Pedersen (Sunweb)
    Michael Valgren (NTT)
    Mads Pedersen (Trek)
    Niklas Eg (Trek)
    Michael Mørkøv (Quick-Step)
    Kasper Asgreen (Quick-Step)
    Christopher Juul-Jensen (Mitchelton-Scott)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235

Denmark with 8 riders starting the Tour.
    And no, your Irish can't claim Jul-Jensen ;-)

Søren Kragh Andersen (Sunweb)
    Casper Pedersen (Sunweb)
    Michael Valgren (NTT)
    Mads Pedersen (Trek)
    Niklas Eg (Trek)
    Michael Mørkøv (Quick-Step)
    Kasper Asgreen (Quick-Step)
    Christopher Juul-Jensen (Mitchelton-Scott)

More than GB and USA combined. You'd be sorted if it ever went back to national teams. Not much of a GC threat though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Nice social distancing among the spectators a la depart... no wonder they're now at 7,000 new positives a day
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    Nice, ITV4 managed 2 full minutes of broadcast between commercials!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Surprised you don’t watch the Rai coverage
  • ugo.santalucia

You can't outside Italy, can you?
  • pblakeney

There are way to achieve this from the comfort of your armchair.
    Allegedly. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    As far as first stages go, this one is going to have an incredible impact on the race!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ugo.santalucia
    pblakeney said:

Allegedly. 😉
    I have done it in the past from dodgy websites, as links from Steephill... eventually I was gifted with a virus... so I'm not going to bother anymore
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Allegedly. 😉
    I have done it in the past from dodgy websites, as links from Steephill... eventually I was gifted with a virus... so I'm not going to bother anymore
    A friend in the UK told me he watched the TdF for a bit on RAI this afternoon.
    He pretended his laptop was in Milan.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I have Rai on my tv.
    Trouble is they restrict viewing for a lot of stuff these days and use Sky encyption.
    I managed to watch Emilia from them the other week.
  • Nice social distancing among the spectators a la depart... no wonder they're now at 7,000 new positives a day

They are outdoors. Stop being a bedwetter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

pblakeney said:

Allegedly. 😉
    So I have a VPN and I can watch any state broadcaster on my iPad.