Exam Grades

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

It's a good problem to have though. My bro is in the academic sector on the support side and has the same sword dangling over his neck.

The real problem is that right now we don't know where we stand in terms of numbers... could be low, could be too high, or it could be anything in between, courtesy of this mess. Offers made (both originally and in clearing) will be honoured, so we might even end up having too many students... who knows...

left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,823

It's a good problem to have though. My bro is in the academic sector on the support side and has the same sword dangling over his neck.

The real problem is that right now we don't know where we stand in terms of numbers... could be low, could be too high, or it could be anything in between, courtesy of this mess. Offers made (both originally and in clearing) will be honoured, so we might even end up having too many students... who knows...

I predict that overall university numbers will be significantly up. Big grade inflation and no jobs to go to anyway. So Rishi will have to go to the magic money tree again to pay for it all.
  • ugo.santalucia

I predict that overall university numbers will be significantly up. Big grade inflation and no jobs to go to anyway. So Rishi will have to go to the magic money tree again to pay for it all.
    That was my initial thought, but then we bought into the bosses scaremongery that revenue would be down by a quarter.
    Master courses in particular will be up as all the new graduates buy time by staying in education another year.
    We received a lot of calls from the far east in clearing, so there is still appetitte to travel to the UK. We tend to forget that these kids are 18 years old and can't give a monkey about Covid-19, for them it's like saying "you might go to England and catch a cold"
  • First.Aspect

That was my initial thought, but then we bought into the bosses scaremongery that revenue would be down by a quarter.
    Master courses in particular will be up as all the new graduates buy time by staying in education another year.
    We received a lot of calls from the far east in clearing, so there is still appetitte to travel to the UK. We tend to forget that these kids are 18 years old and can't give a monkey about Covid-19, for them it's like saying "you might go to England and catch a cold"
    Not so sure about that being the case from the far east, but certainly from the US that would be true. But for anyone in China or Japan harbouring aspirations of an academic career, studying in Europe is a big plus to take back with them, I'd have thought, making the risk of spending time here more worthwhile. Who knows.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,290
    Well my daughter likes the new system. Having had to take a level 2 college course this year rather than the level 3 she wanted to do due to missing out on a C in maths and (very narrowly) numeracy it was compulsory for her to do maths within the performing arts course.

If she'd failed to get a C again she would have had to keep doing maths on the level 3 course and wasn't expecting to get given a result this year as they hadn't done much additional assessment but got an unexpected email this morning confirming a grade C. Still waiting on the actual course results though that were originally due last Thursday but they are hopefully arriving by post today.
  • In 5 years time the number of graduates applying to be rocket scientists and brain surgeons risks overwhelming the system. We need to start planning now so this unprecedented generation of geniuses aren't let down and end up as recruitment consultants and barista's
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited August 2020

In 5 years time the number of graduates applying to be rocket scientists and brain surgeons risks overwhelming the system. We need to start planning now so this unprecedented generation of geniuses aren't let down and end up as recruitment consultants and barista's

Few years behind the curve there Coopster ;)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Despair in our house as it sinks in with middle son that his GCSE Maths and English scores will be determined by his teacher's opinion of him.

No English score....not clear what the story is here. He's 4th year (in old money), they may have just not entered them as originally planned.

B in Maths.....which is him 'getting away with one' there.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,611

In 5 years time the number of graduates applying to be rocket scientists and brain surgeons risks overwhelming the system. We need to start planning now so this unprecedented generation of geniuses aren't let down and end up as recruitment consultants and barista's

If they're not fit for the course they won't make it past the first year, let alone graduate. Otherwise what is the uni doing?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,855

Be much better if they take a year out and see the world, take a job in a bar or something.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Wait, in post Brexit Britain were we not going to train up our own people instead of importing rocket scientists and brain surgeons?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • First.Aspect
    pangolin said:

If they're not fit for the course they won't make it past the first year, let alone graduate. Otherwise what is the uni doing?
    I don't know if you've heard, but now that students pay tuition, universities are their customers. Generation snowflake shall not fail.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,199
    pangolin said:

Well obviously, but if you have no idea what higher education is...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Wait, in post Brexit Britain were we not going to train up our own people instead of importing rocket scientists and brain surgeons?

Nah they're all gonna be ship builders and/or work in heavy manufacturing and coal mining.

Like the good old days.

The world wants our cars and ships, you know.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Distinction * for my daughter in her NVQ which is the highest grade at that level. Apparently when she moves to Level 3 next term the highest grade is a Distinction **. To me it shows a fundamental flaw in the grading system in the UK that they have to keep adding stars after the top grade to reflect the numbers passing.

I still don't see why they can't just give a simple percentage rather than a grade and, if they need to compare to previous years, that can be done through a comparison of the numbers getting certain percentage bands (or possibly even grade comparison algorithms).
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,517

He will tell you he would like to be an electrician - I can see the attraction of the idea - not sure the reality is always as good but in any case these things are competitive in their own way and he doesn't seem to have done anything to get into it other than bang off a couple of applications .

I suppose he's not unlike a lot of young lads.

Despite the massive increase in people going to university in recent years (and I would be the last person to deny anyone further education), my obsevrations over recent years are that good* tradesmen appear to be the most content, stress free, comfortably well off people out there.

I know a few plumbers, electricians and builders who really seem to have work/life sussed.

*Being a good one is the key. In a position where demand for you, based on your reputation and examples of your work, outstrips your availability. Pick your jobs, name your price. In the ups and downs, the recessions, booms and dips, good tradesmen are never out of work.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross

He will tell you he would like to be an electrician - I can see the attraction of the idea - not sure the reality is always as good but in any case these things are competitive in their own way and he doesn't seem to have done anything to get into it other than bang off a couple of applications .

Despite the massive increase in people going to university in recent years (and I would be the last person to deny anyone further education), my obsevrations over recent years are that good* tradesmen appear to be the most content, stress free, comfortably well off people out there.

I know a few plumbers, electricians and builders who really seem to have work/life sussed.

*Being a good one is the key. In a position where demand for you, based on your reputation and examples of your work, outstrips your availability. Pick your jobs, name your price. In the ups and downs, the recessions, booms and dips, good tradesmen are never out of work.
    It's quite ironic that the Blair government, in trying to bring Higher Education to the masses, devalued vocational qualifications and apprenticeships.

It's an annoyance of mine that failure to go to University is almost seen as a failure in life these days. I was never a full time University student despite being academically capable to have been and I've done well enough. I would go so far as to say that a degree in a 'vocational' discipline should include a compulsory year minimum in a work setting or that the degrees have more value being part-time whilst working in an apprenticeship style. To put it bluntly, when I worked for a Council after completing my HNC most of the graduates joining as my contemperies were f***ING useless. Their theoretical knowledge may have been slightly wider than mine they simply lack practical knowledge and didn't like doing things they saw as being beneath them (such as drawing work) where they would have learned a lot. All they seemed to do was go on more courses and get the pick of the site placements on large schemes (which were a cash cow).

Things have probably changed a lot in the last 30 years but I'm still a massive believer in the importance of vocational qualifications and feel they should be more widely promoted as an alternative to doing a degree in a subject that will often play no part in your future career.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

It's quite ironic that the Blair government, in trying to bring Higher Education to the masses, devalued vocational qualifications and apprenticeships.

It's an annoyance of mine that failure to go to University is almost seen as a failure in life these days. I was never a full time University student despite being academically capable to have been and I've done well enough. I would go so far as to say that a degree in a 'vocational' discipline should include a compulsory year minimum in a work setting or that the degrees have more value being part-time whilst working in an apprenticeship style. To put it bluntly, when I worked for a Council after completing my HNC most of the graduates joining as my contemperies were f***ING useless. Their theoretical knowledge may have been slightly wider than mine they simply lack practical knowledge and didn't like doing things they saw as being beneath them (such as drawing work) where they would have learned a lot. All they seemed to do was go on more courses and get the pick of the site placements on large schemes (which were a cash cow).

Things have probably changed a lot in the last 30 years but I'm still a massive believer in the importance of vocational qualifications and feel they should be more widely promoted as an alternative to doing a degree in a subject that will often play no part in your future career.
    Agree completely, the Academic route and uni access being the be all and end all is crackers. It is directly contributing to the disengaged generation who simply aren’t going to be academic but face a relentlessly academically focussed curriculum.
    More than one way to skin a cat.
    For Labour it was about equalising opportunity and for Gove it was about academic idealism.
    The problem is policy makers who thrived in an academic environment having no clue that it isn’t the be all and end all.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    Pross said:

Yes if he doesn't go to uni I'm going to joke about him being the first in 3 generations to hold that distinction (It's not actually true as both my wife's parents left at 14 without a qualification between them ) .

If any of you are East Midlands based and looking for an 18 year old apprentice electrician message me !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ugo.santalucia

I agree... however, we like to think that there is more to University than a good job. That's the starting point. Higher education is supposed to open your mind, allows you to see the world differently and hopefully "learning to learn" will facilitate any further change in career in the future... in other words we hope to create versatile people.

The side benefit is that we create fewer people keen to absorb the rhetoric of the far right and fewer people who will vote for the next Trump or Bolsonaro, or Salvini or Farage... in turn that might even save lives and jobs in the next pandemic round... :-)

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross said:

I sort of feel this view is 10 years out of date.

You will probably know better than me given the age of your children but I very much feel my cohort was told that uni was the gateway to prosperity and it's been quite plain and obvious to us since the crash that *that is not the case like it used to be*. That isn't even a reflection of degree devaluation - it's also true ( to varying degrees) for people with very good degrees.

I know lots of businesses are returning to hiring people at 18 if their profession doesn't require specific uni knowledge when previously, because they are white collar, they would hire uni grads out of principal.

I also think that the prices of university are so much higher that prospective uni students are much more likely to do their on CBA on the value of it and are less likely to chose *pointless* degrees.
  • ugo.santalucia

I also think that the prices of university are so much higher that prospective uni students are much more likely to do their on CBA on the value of it and are less likely to chose *pointless* degrees.

Not really, they got the gist that very few will end up paying the student loan in full... or even just a good proportion of it

• Pross

Pross said:

You will probably know better than me given the age of your children but I very much feel my cohort was told that uni was the gateway to prosperity and it's been quite plain and obvious to us since the crash that *that is not the case like it used to be*. That isn't even a reflection of degree devaluation - it's also true ( to varying degrees) for people with very good degrees.

I know lots of businesses are returning to hiring people at 18 if their profession doesn't require specific uni knowledge when previously, because they are white collar, they would hire uni grads out of principal.

Maybe. My younger daughter was never going to go to Uni through the traditional A level route but still hopes to go to do her degree in Musical Theatre. I still struggle with the value of a degree in that, not as a disparagement to stage actors but simply because it seems like something that can be assessed purely on ability via the audition process. I understand the value of people with the talent having classes to learn and improve techniques, especially if they want to go into the teaching side, but I'm surprised the industry needs a degree rather than the knowledge that they attended a certain theatre school with a good reputation and came through it with recommendations from their tutors.

My elder daughter decided early on she was joining the police but felt a degree would help her to get in so opted for Criminology. Ironically, lecturers on the course who were ex-police together with a friend who joined straight from school made her reconsider. There aren't many jobs for criminologists and she initially went into call centre work after graduating but has managed to recently start in a role in offender rehabilitation with a hope to eventually become a probation officer. Missing out on a 2:1 by her percentage being rounded down from its decimal rather than up limited access to all the big graduate programmes so at one point it looked like 3 years of Uni was leading to a job hoping for progression in a private healthcare provider from starting off as telephone claims handler.

The perception still seems to be that 'everyone' goes to Uni unless they're a bit thick. When you have kids at exam age it's pretty common for people to ask what Uni they want to go to and what they want to study. No-one seems to consider they might want to get a trade instead.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Maybe. My younger daughter was never going to go to Uni through the traditional A level route but still hopes to go to do her degree in Musical Theatre. I still struggle with the value of a degree in that, not as a disparagement to stage actors but simply because it seems like something that can be assessed purely on ability via the audition process. I understand the value of people with the talent having classes to learn and improve techniques, especially if they want to go into the teaching side, but I'm surprised the industry needs a degree rather than the knowledge that they attended a certain theatre school with a good reputation and came through it with recommendations from their tutors.

My elder daughter decided early on she was joining the police but felt a degree would help her to get in so opted for Criminology. Ironically, lecturers on the course who were ex-police together with a friend who joined straight from school made her reconsider. There aren't many jobs for criminologists and she initially went into call centre work after graduating but has managed to recently start in a role in offender rehabilitation with a hope to eventually become a probation officer. Missing out on a 2:1 by her percentage being rounded down from its decimal rather than up limited access to all the big graduate programmes so at one point it looked like 3 years of Uni was leading to a job hoping for progression in a private healthcare provider from starting off as telephone claims handler.

The perception still seems to be that 'everyone' goes to Uni unless they're a bit thick. When you have kids at exam age it's pretty common for people to ask what Uni they want to go to and what they want to study. No-one seems to consider they might want to get a trade instead.
    An acquaintance of mine (genuine, not internet, but not close enough to call a friend), did an apprenticeship at BAE which led to a fully funded degree, a masters and a successful career all through BAE. She moved out to Texas, taking the family, about 3 years ago as did another BAE employee at our cycling club (Not sure what the link up between BAE and Texas is).
    She has stated on many occasions how happy she is she went the apprenticeship route. Must be mid 30's now with no uni debts and all the benefits.
  • ugo.santalucia
    morstar said:

Must be mid 30's now with no uni debts and all the benefits.

The debt is more psychological than anything. If you earn 50 grand, you pay 2108 quid per year, which is less than 200 quid a month.
    Without the degree, it is unlikely that you get to earn 48 grand at the same point in time, so it is god value, whichever way you want to look at it.

Apprenticeships are great, but there aren't many around

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,630

morstar said:

The debt is more psychological than anything. If you earn 50 grand, you pay 2108 quid per year, which is less than 200 quid a month.
    Without the degree, it is unlikely that you get to earn 48 grand at the same point in time, so it is god value, whichever way you want to look at it.

Not sure I agree with this. The non-graduate has 3 more years of experience working.
  • First.Aspect

morstar said:

Not sure I agree with this. The non-graduate has 3 more years of experience working.
    The maths is sound, on average. But if you are earning 50k, personally I still think £200 a month would come in rather handy.

I base this on the fact that £200 a month comes in handy.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,199

I dunno, the number of contractors I've seen burn out would suggest it's not quite as easy as that, but maybe that's the often absurd expectations of high end London clients.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ugo.santalucia

morstar said:

The maths is sound, on average. But if you are earning 50k, personally I still think £200 a month would come in rather handy.

I base this on the fact that £200 a month comes in handy.
    Of course... and an extra 200 would come even handier and so on... the reality is that without the degree you would earn a lot less... on average
  • ugo.santalucia

Yes, but more often than not in jobs with fewer career progression opportunities.

Anyway, my point is that having a student loan is somewhat different from having any other loan. Repayments are tied to your gross salary, so you will always be able to afford them... there should be no stress and if students are stressed about it, it's only because they never sat down with a financial adviser who would explain how it works...