Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I think it's interesting that so much weight is put on the grade. In my field, because you need to show examples of your work in any job interview scenario, there is much less reliance on the grade, because much stronger evidence of ability is right there in front of you.

How do you evaluate graduates?
    CV + samples of work for selection for interview, then interview. Degree grade is one line in the CV and the samples of work tell you far more about the candidate's ability. At the interview you can then confirm that the work really is their work and that they have a good understanding of what they have produced.
    How can they show you examples of they are trying to get their first job, that's what I'm asking.
    They will have produced work for their degree, so everyone should have something to show. Obviously if a candidate has managed to do some work experience, then they can show that as well. An architecture exam consists of pinning your work on the wall and having it critiqued/ripped to shreds by examiners in front of your peers. It's a good system and one I would recommend for other subjects. There is no hiding if you haven't done the work. There are written exams and a dissertation as well but these form a smaller part of the overall assessment.
    Got it. I can see that would work for that type of discipline, because there is a direct correlation between the degree subject and the profession. Scientists can show their final projects, any publications, the thesis. And the graduate degrees include a viva. So that works for postdocs and R&D roles.

But what about graduates from finger painting degrees, applying to unrelated professions. For that matter, my work? We train on the job but need to be capable of a particular way of thinking to do the job at all. Our best guide is their academic record, because we know from experience that anyone who wasn't pretty much straight A's and a 1st or 2:1 simply won't make it. We might spot someone with bad A levels and a really good degree and look past it, but to be honest they'd need to really impress in the interview process to assuage doubts.
    Sorry, can't remember what field you are in, but yes, it's a bit easier for more 'vocational' degrees. I do think that other subjects could learn from it, though. If you can present a piece of original work to a panel of examiners you can do the same thing to a potential employer. I'm not sure it matters what the subject is so long as you can present it in a way that interests, demonstrates some critical thought, shows initiative and any other skills you think the examiner/employer would value.
    I always found "tell me about your final year project" an excellent interview question for graduates. Really tests whether they can explain something complicated to someone who knows nothing about the subject.
    Depends what the job is but sure.
    I'm trying to think of a graduate level job where an ability to communicate complex ideas to the uninformed isn't useful.
    Recruitment consultant?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I think it's interesting that so much weight is put on the grade. In my field, because you need to show examples of your work in any job interview scenario, there is much less reliance on the grade, because much stronger evidence of ability is right there in front of you.

CV + samples of work for selection for interview, then interview. Degree grade is one line in the CV and the samples of work tell you far more about the candidate's ability. At the interview you can then confirm that the work really is their work and that they have a good understanding of what they have produced.
    How can they show you examples of they are trying to get their first job, that's what I'm asking.
    They will have produced work for their degree, so everyone should have something to show. Obviously if a candidate has managed to do some work experience, then they can show that as well. An architecture exam consists of pinning your work on the wall and having it critiqued/ripped to shreds by examiners in front of your peers. It's a good system and one I would recommend for other subjects. There is no hiding if you haven't done the work. There are written exams and a dissertation as well but these form a smaller part of the overall assessment.
    Got it. I can see that would work for that type of discipline, because there is a direct correlation between the degree subject and the profession. Scientists can show their final projects, any publications, the thesis. And the graduate degrees include a viva. So that works for postdocs and R&D roles.

But what about graduates from finger painting degrees, applying to unrelated professions. For that matter, my work? We train on the job but need to be capable of a particular way of thinking to do the job at all. Our best guide is their academic record, because we know from experience that anyone who wasn't pretty much straight A's and a 1st or 2:1 simply won't make it. We might spot someone with bad A levels and a really good degree and look past it, but to be honest they'd need to really impress in the interview process to assuage doubts.
    Sorry, can't remember what field you are in, but yes, it's a bit easier for more 'vocational' degrees. I do think that other subjects could learn from it, though. If you can present a piece of original work to a panel of examiners you can do the same thing to a potential employer. I'm not sure it matters what the subject is so long as you can present it in a way that interests, demonstrates some critical thought, shows initiative and any other skills you think the examiner/employer would value.
    I always found "tell me about your final year project" an excellent interview question for graduates. Really tests whether they can explain something complicated to someone who knows nothing about the subject.
    I'm trying to think of a graduate level job where an ability to communicate complex ideas to the uninformed isn't useful.
    Useful yes, but is it a differentiator between people who can and can't do the job? Sometimes, sure. Not always.

I would not make that a pre-requisite for being a headhunter, useful or not, for example.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Useful yes, but is it a differentiator between people who can and can't do the job? Sometimes, sure. Not always.

I would not make that a pre-requisite for being a headhunter, useful or not, for example.

Go on then. List five skills you'd be looking for in recruitment.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2020
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Well for me it'd be the inverse of your "explain something you know a lot about to someone who knows nothing"

It'd be "explain something you know nothing about to someone who does it for a living without coming across as clueless or a d!ck"

That's a fairly different flex.

Then it'd be engagement - literally how engaging are they to talk to. Some people are and some have presence, some just don't.

Then it'd be their ability to listen at short notice. So I often simply get them to ask me some questions about the job or whatever and then usually ask them to tell me the summary thereafter - no heads up, and always casually.

Then you ask around organisation - I tend to ask how they used to revise and manage busy exam schedules for example.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    edited August 2020

All students in England to get the teacher assessed grades

This announcement promises to be a classic of its kind. Will it be a Orwellian pretence that nothing has really changed, or just the government blaming Ofqual and coming to the rescue?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

rjsterry said:

You do come across as having a massive chip on your shoulder towards professions.

Only ones that come across as incompetent and that is what the teaching profession have shown themselves to be since mid-March.

There is a lot of truth in the statement "Those who can do. Those who can't teach" and the teaching profession have not disproved this over the last 5 months. Only a few days ago our resident IT teacher again demonstrated this point.

Defending incompetence, like you are doing will not raise the standards.
    Presumably you are referring back to the post where I explained that our remote control software was broken and the council wouldn't let us replace it.

I have often noticed a "debating" tactic on forums where people assume that, because someone didn't spell something out in words of less than one syllable so they could understand it, choose to act as if the post was evidence of something they didn't say at all.

So let's look a little more closely:

Decent remote control software could of course help with that kind of thing. We had shoddy but halfway effective remote software for demos, assistance etc - until our machines were upgraded to Windows 10, which broke it. They are refusing to replace it with something that works, on the grounds of a) cost and b) GDPR. WTF?

I should of course have added, for the benefit of the hard of thinking / desperate to own the libs crowd, that like most corporate networks, ours is locked down to the extent that the vast majority of network tools are just not accessible. They aren't very good at network management - I did a much better job when I worked at a special school with a full time teaching role and managed a small (c. 40 machines, 75 users) but perfectly formed network on the side. So I do know how to get round an awful lot of the restrictions, but would get into a lot of trouble if caught.

So when some argumentative idiot thinks they're so clever 'cos they replied with

Should it be one for the irony thread that a computer teacher does not know about remote control options for computers?

If they are using Windows 10 Education, which is what a school should be using, remote desktop is included for free in Windows 10

it might give them a smug feeling for a few seconds, but it just reveals the depth of ignorance they have of the actual situation.

tldr: I know about RDP and have used it for years. The point that I clearly spelled out was that we are prevented from using it, not that we can't.
    You have again proved my point that those in the public sector are looking for problems, not solutions.

You say you would get into trouble for using a built in Windows tool designed to perform remote management/oversight perfectly in your at risk situation. You would successfully be able to argue that you are doing this to comply with the C19 teaching guidelines and thus delivering education to your students safely for them and safely for yourself. I think anyone trying to stop you doing this would look very foolish, very quickly in the current situation. In fact, they should be facilitating you implementing this solution.

The above outlines perfectly how the private sector operates compared to public sector.

TDLR: Grow some and put the education of your students first alongside mitigating your health risk. This is how the real world operates.
    Listen. I have spent possibly 30 hours in the last two weeks investigating solutions to this. Well, not so much investigating it - the solutions are so obvious that even you were able to list some of the less effective ones: it's fighting the bureacracy that has used up the rest.

As for your imbecilic suggestion that I just do my own thing and **** the consequences.... well of course you can do that when your life is all fantasy, delusion and keyboard warrioring can't you?
  • All students in England to get the teacher assessed grades

This announcement promises to be a classic of its kind. Will it be a Orwellian pretence that nothing has really changed, or just the government blaming Ofqual and coming to the rescue?
    Boris to take the glory and sit back laughing at his minions who were defending the calamity at breakfast time. If they can blame Ofqual then it will be jolly japes and medals all round, if not who is going to miss Gavin Williamson?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

This.

And you also want someone who can talk the talk a bit as well. You want clients to feel engaged and your team to be able to build rapport.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Well for me it'd be the inverse of your "explain something you know a lot about to someone who knows nothing"

1. It'd be "explain something you know nothing about to someone who does it for a living without coming across as clueless or a d!ck"

2. Then it'd be engagement - literally how engaging are they to talk to. Some people are and some have presence, some just don't.

3. Then it'd be their ability to listen at short notice. So I often simply get them to ask me some questions about the job or whatever and then usually ask them to tell me the summary thereafter - no heads up, and always casually.

4. Then you ask around organisation - I tend to ask how they used to revise and manage busy exam schedules for example.
    Right then. 1. I think you are being slightly disingenuous in saying you need an ability to talk about something you don't know about. You obviously spend a lot lot of time reading about things going on in the City so while you obviously know less about a role than the recruitee (you hope), you need enough general knowledge to be able to have a conversation and you need to acquire that knowledge off your own back. A candidate could demonstrate that their dissertation covered a completely new area for them - "I had to teach myself basic Gujarati to allow me to access archive material on X"
    2. If they can talk about their dissertation in an engaging way, then they should be able to talk engagingly on other topics.
    3. I think you could work this in.
    4. You should be able to judge organisational ability on the content and quality of presentation. You could add some sort of time restriction if you want: letting the candidate know one week in advance that they need to present their dissertation in whatever format they wish, with a maximum duration of 10 minutes.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

1. It'd be "explain something you know nothing about to someone who does it for a living without coming across as clueless or a d!ck"

2. Then it'd be engagement - literally how engaging are they to talk to. Some people are and some have presence, some just don't.

3. Then it'd be their ability to listen at short notice. So I often simply get them to ask me some questions about the job or whatever and then usually ask them to tell me the summary thereafter - no heads up, and always casually.

4. Then you ask around organisation - I tend to ask how they used to revise and manage busy exam schedules for example.
    Right then. 1. I think you are being slightly disingenuous in saying you need an ability to talk about something you don't know about. You obviously spend a lot lot of time reading about things going on in the City so while you obviously know less about a role than the recruitee (you hope), you need enough general knowledge to be able to have a conversation and you need to acquire that knowledge off your own back. A candidate could demonstrate that their dissertation covered a completely new area for them - "I had to teach myself basic Gujarati to allow me to access archive material on X"
    2. If they can talk about their dissertation in an engaging way, then they should be able to talk engagingly on other topics.
    4. You should be able to judge organisational ability on the content and quality of presentation. You could add some sort of time restriction if you want: letting the candidate know one week in advance that they need to present their dissertation in whatever format they wish, with a maximum duration of 10 minutes.
    Bluffing the recruitee is easy, I imagine Ric is thinking about knowing less than the recruiter a grizzled old pro who has been round the block more times than you have had hot dinners and HR has now made him use this rec con who is stood in front of him wearing a shiny blue suit, brown shoes, no socks whilst clutching his skinny caramel soy latte and brushing crushed avocado from his goatee
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited August 2020

rjsterry said:

You do come across as having a massive chip on your shoulder towards professions.

Only ones that come across as incompetent and that is what the teaching profession have shown themselves to be since mid-March.

There is a lot of truth in the statement "Those who can do. Those who can't teach" and the teaching profession have not disproved this over the last 5 months. Only a few days ago our resident IT teacher again demonstrated this point.

Defending incompetence, like you are doing will not raise the standards.
    Presumably you are referring back to the post where I explained that our remote control software was broken and the council wouldn't let us replace it.

I have often noticed a "debating" tactic on forums where people assume that, because someone didn't spell something out in words of less than one syllable so they could understand it, choose to act as if the post was evidence of something they didn't say at all.

So let's look a little more closely:

Decent remote control software could of course help with that kind of thing. We had shoddy but halfway effective remote software for demos, assistance etc - until our machines were upgraded to Windows 10, which broke it. They are refusing to replace it with something that works, on the grounds of a) cost and b) GDPR. WTF?

I should of course have added, for the benefit of the hard of thinking / desperate to own the libs crowd, that like most corporate networks, ours is locked down to the extent that the vast majority of network tools are just not accessible. They aren't very good at network management - I did a much better job when I worked at a special school with a full time teaching role and managed a small (c. 40 machines, 75 users) but perfectly formed network on the side. So I do know how to get round an awful lot of the restrictions, but would get into a lot of trouble if caught.

So when some argumentative idiot thinks they're so clever 'cos they replied with

Should it be one for the irony thread that a computer teacher does not know about remote control options for computers?

If they are using Windows 10 Education, which is what a school should be using, remote desktop is included for free in Windows 10

it might give them a smug feeling for a few seconds, but it just reveals the depth of ignorance they have of the actual situation.

tldr: I know about RDP and have used it for years. The point that I clearly spelled out was that we are prevented from using it, not that we can't.
    You have again proved my point that those in the public sector are looking for problems, not solutions.

You say you would get into trouble for using a built in Windows tool designed to perform remote management/oversight perfectly in your at risk situation. You would successfully be able to argue that you are doing this to comply with the C19 teaching guidelines and thus delivering education to your students safely for them and safely for yourself. I think anyone trying to stop you doing this would look very foolish, very quickly in the current situation. In fact, they should be facilitating you implementing this solution.

The above outlines perfectly how the private sector operates compared to public sector.

TDLR: Grow some and put the education of your students first alongside mitigating your health risk. This is how the real world operates.
    Listen. I have spent possibly 30 hours in the last two weeks investigating solutions to this. Well, not so much investigating it - the solutions are so obvious that even you were able to list some of the less effective ones: it's fighting the bureacracy that has used up the rest.

As for your imbecilic suggestion that I just do my own thing and **** the consequences.... well of course you can do that when your life is all fantasy, delusion and keyboard warrioring can't you?
    So you are not really that "high risk" then?

Or after 7 days of living in the real world less Coronaphobic? And also less of a drama queen?

Here's a reminder of your original post with some selected highlights :wink:

Well, here in Scotland we're all back to school tomorrow.

I'm not 100% happy about teaching a subject (computing) that relies on me being in close proximity to kids:
    - Over 50% of the time my classes are working at computers.
    - My classroom is so crowded that the monitors of adjacent machines are almost touching.
    - When I go round the class to observe / give feedback / assist / explain, which is well over 50% of the time the kids are at computers, I have to squeeze between the central desks and the computer workstations around the outside. It has always been spectacularly hard to avoid touching the kids, something of course that has been taboo for a long time.
    - While I would always be trying to help kids learn to solve their own problems, practicality dictates that helping kids with technical diffs often means taking over their machines, i.e. grabbing the mouse and keyboard. I'm not sure I'm happy to sanitise my hands 10 times an hour. Or prehaps I should wear latex gloves all day?
    - Decent remote control software could of course help with that kind of thing. We had shoddy but halfway effective remote software for demos, assistance etc - until our machines were upgraded to Windows 10, which broke it. They are refusing to replace it with something that works, on the grounds of a) cost and b) GDPR. WTF?
    - I am in the "high risk" (not shielding) category , and it seems (from gossip, not like we've been told anything officially of course) that my "individual risk assessment" will conclude that the only measure that will be taken is to advise me to avoid coming within 2m of any kids (see above).
    - or else I just have to wear PPE all day.
    - and during non-contact time, there is essentially nowhere for me to go as the base is too small for effective social distancing.

Weighed against this is the pretty clear evidence that kids don't transmit a lot, and the COVID prevalence is pretty low round here anyway. But we're not that far from Aberdeen, where there's a nasty outbreak thanks to youth levels of blasé idiocy among the club-going public: several of my colleagues have partners who work in Aberdeen...

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Bluffing the recruitee is easy, I imagine Ric is thinking about knowing less than the recruiter a grizzled old pro who has been round the block more times than you have had hot dinners and HR has now made him use this rec con who is stood in front of him wearing a shiny blue suit, brown shoes, no socks whilst clutching his skinny caramel soy latte and brushing crushed avocado from his goatee
    The what now?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    Ooof.

"Ofqual was asked by the Secretary of State to develop a system for awarding calculated grades, which maintained standards and ensured that grades were awarded broadly in line with previous years. Our goal has always been to protect the trust that the public rightly has in educational qualifications.

But we recognise that while the approach we adopted attempted to achieve these goals we also appreciate that it has also caused real anguish and damaged public confidence."
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    The government is not having a good results season!
  • kingstongraham

The government is not having a good results season!

It's ok, they've given themselves an A*
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515

All students in England to get the teacher assessed grades

Universties are going to be annoyed.
    According to who?
    What are they going to do with all the extra students they will be obliged to offer places to?
    Depends whether they are short of numbers due to students deferring to next year on account of Covid/foreign students not coming over for the same reason. May well vary by uni and course, but I head heard that deferrals were of a reasonably high number.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

So you are not really that "high risk" then?

Or after 7 days of living in the real world less Coronaphobic? And also less of a drama queen?

Really struggling with your non-sequiturs here.

The 30 hours work I am referring to (heck, I'm probably exaggerating a bit, it might only be 25) have almost all been done at home, i.e. in my own time (half of it, like half of all the development work we do, while on holiday, because hey, teachers hardly work at all and get such long holidays!)

As for real world, I have, for example, experienced life on a COVID ward - vicariously, I grant, through being married to a doctor - but that includes things like watching people die in front of you, and having to telephone relatives to inform them of death: for which the thanks has included, among other things, vicious abuse and official threats of legal action.
    I expect Dr Bomp knows a bit more about the real world than you do.

As for me, there's the entertaining business of teaching while wearing a mask all day (I take it off when on my own in my classroom, which happens for about an hour a day on average).
    Not to mention all the time-consuming and stressful rituals we have to go through - sanitising, wiping, not touching this, staying away from that...
    Add to this the fun of explaining the rules to kids: I don't make them up but I'm part of an organisation, so I have to enforce them.
    Oh, of course there's also the much-discussed issue of remote software - you'll be glad to know that, after a lot of effort, we have got agreement to get something (free) installed. More work to implement that then, because there's zip chance of the council IT department (who are in a huff about the whole thing) lifting a finger to help.

I don't claim to have experienced everything there is to experience in the real world, but I expect I've experienced enough to distiguish it from keyboard warrior fantasy.

But then your posts don't really give the impression that you have ever spent 7 days in the real world.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

You misunderstand quite how vacuous the finance industry is. The number one key skill, as described above, is an ability to blag it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

It can be so at all levels - I still find it very useful given my line of work (and it has also come in rather handy for me in some tax related debates on this forum :smile: )
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

It can be so at all levels - I still find it very useful given my line of work (and it has also come in rather handy for me in some tax related debates on this forum :smile: )
    MP? Explaining anything more complex than three word slogans doesn't seem at all useful.
  • Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

MP? Explaining anything more complex than three word slogans doesn't seem at all useful.
    not a grad level job
  • So you are not really that "high risk" then?

Really struggling with your non-sequiturs here.

The 30 hours work I am referring to (heck, I'm probably exaggerating a bit, it might only be 25) have almost all been done at home, i.e. in my own time (half of it, like half of all the development work we do, while on holiday, because hey, teachers hardly work at all and get such long holidays!)

As for real world, I have, for example, experienced life on a COVID ward - vicariously, I grant, through being married to a doctor - but that includes things like watching people die in front of you, and having to telephone relatives to inform them of death: for which the thanks has included, among other things, vicious abuse and official threats of legal action.
    I expect Dr Bomp knows a bit more about the real world than you do.

As for me, there's the entertaining business of teaching while wearing a mask all day (I take it off when on my own in my classroom, which happens for about an hour a day on average).
    Not to mention all the time-consuming and stressful rituals we have to go through - sanitising, wiping, not touching this, staying away from that...
    Add to this the fun of explaining the rules to kids: I don't make them up but I'm part of an organisation, so I have to enforce them.
    Oh, of course there's also the much-discussed issue of remote software - you'll be glad to know that, after a lot of effort, we have got agreement to get something (free) installed. More work to implement that then, because there's zip chance of the council IT department (who are in a huff about the whole thing) lifting a finger to help.

I don't claim to have experienced everything there is to experience in the real world, but I expect I've experienced enough to distiguish it from keyboard warrior fantasy.

But then your posts don't really give the impression that you have ever spent 7 days in the real world.
    All that rubbish you list you have to follow is because the Coronaphobics have taken over the asylum. And on masks, stupid idea but you know my position on them so no sympathy from me!

If the Council IT department won't help, do your own thing that best solves your remote access issue. They won't have time to check up on you and probably not the knowledge to know anyway based on my experience of various councils (the WFH'ers will have them busy for months).

On remote admin:
    Install RDPMan (RDP Connection Manager) on your machine(MS free software download). Allow Remote desktop to the student machines for your account in Local Security Policy. Create connections to the student machines via Console. You can then have view of all connected machines in one window and see what every student is doing.
    - Install free pointless software so that Council IT feel like they have won

Job done and you will be much more productive
  • rick_chasey
    So hang on. They’ve now said predicted grades are ok days after people have been told offers are withdrawn or accepted.

So what the hell are the unis going to do now?
  • TheBigBean

So hang on. They’ve now said predicted grades are ok days after people have been told offers are withdrawn or accepted.

Despite me essentially posting this upthread and you responding, you've only just realised.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2020

Despite me essentially posting this upthread and you responding, you've only just realised.
    Honestly I just assumed the govt would stick to the line rather than show they’re bad decision makers AND screw it up even more.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Honestly I just assumed the govt would stick to the line rather than show they’re bad decision makers AND screw it up even more.
    I assumed they would U-turn and were just working on the message.
    Meanwhile, uni entry has been neatly gentrified.
  • morstar
    I wonder if next year there will be some form of priority entry for anybody who can demonstrate denial of access to an appropriate course this year?
    Somehow doubt it but surely it would be appropriate.
  • morstar
    Which would see an interesting contrast. One super posh intake followed by the most working class intake ever.
  • morstar said:

Which would see an interesting contrast. One super posh intake followed by the most working class intake ever.

These exam results have little to no credibility. I'm sure the top Uni's will have some other form of testing in place to make sure the student is at the level required.