Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692
    edited August 2020
    I quite liked this cover version of a Cliff song...

https://youtu.be/wCb1pRczfP4?t=16
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,688
    shortfall said:

Move It
    Do You Wanna Dance (a cover but still a good one)
    Daddy's Home
    We Don't Talk Anymore

Other opinions are available.

You forgot Mistletoe & Wine and Congratulations, two of the all time greats.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Pross said:

shortfall said:

Move It
    Do You Wanna Dance (a cover but still a good one)
    Daddy's Home
    We Don't Talk Anymore

Other opinions are available.

You forgot Mistletoe & Wine and Congratulations, two of the all time greats.
    Also Saviours Day. Very remiss of me 😁
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,662
    edited August 2020
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Death rate is now lower than the past 5 year average because people have stopped going to their GPs.

Fewer GP appointments = fewer prescriptions = fewer deaths

left the forum March 2023
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Death rate is now lower than the past 5 year average because people have stopped going to their GPs.

Interesting!
    What do you see as the mechanism for prescriptions increasing mortality?
  • First.Aspect

Harold Shipman has retired, Ugo, it's safe to go back there now.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Robert Lazar makes a compelling argument for the existence of flying saucers
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204

This opinion although not popular, is underrated!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681
    I don't have much sympathy for the BA cabin crew. They engineered a deal where new employees would earn much less than them for doing the same job. Now there is a downturn, that decision is coming back to haunt them. Worth noting that the mixed fleet crew (the poorly paid newer ones) are about to receive a pay rise.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,726

Robert Lazar makes a compelling argument for the existence of flying saucers

I've seen flying saucers! I have too. [/Manc33] They tend not to last long when they hit the nearest wall.
  • orraloon

I don't have much sympathy for the BA cabin crew. They engineered a deal where new employees would earn much less than them for doing the same job. Now there is a downturn, that decision is coming back to haunt them. Worth noting that the mixed fleet crew (the poorly paid newer ones) are about to receive a pay rise.

BA old school pilots are in this BALPA backed last in, first out scheme. The oldsters are well paid and self protected, the younger ones get screwed.
  • TheBigBean
    orraloon said:

BA old school pilots are in this BALPA backed last in, first out scheme. The oldsters are well paid and self protected, the younger ones get screwed.
    I don't really understand how they expect to compete with other airlines that have much cheaper staff and better service.
  • orraloon
    Ask the @sungod market sector... 😊
  • ugo.santalucia
    The all aviation sector should shrink by 50% immediately, with an aim to shrink to 10% of the pre-Covid size by 2050. At the same time, the average annual leave package should increase by 20%, to allow people to reach holiday destinations by bicycle or train.
    All paid by higher tax of course
  • First.Aspect

The all aviation sector should shrink by 50% immediately, with an aim to shrink to 10% of the pre-Covid size by 2050. At the same time, the average annual leave package should increase by 20%, to allow people to reach holiday destinations by bicycle or train.

I hate to say it, but your views are very "academic bubble". They are very directly to the point without thinking about whether they would ever work.

Aren't you better off promoting research into nuclear fusion or hydrogen fuel cells? Photovoltaics perhaps?

Because lets face it, fannying around the edges is pointless. As long as there are planes, people will fly. As long as oil/gas/coal is cheaper, people will burn it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    edited August 2020

orraloon said:

I don't really understand how they expect to compete with other airlines that have much cheaper staff and better service.
    Unions gonna union.

In fairness, almost all airlines struggle to make money in the long term.

Whole system is rigged with state subsidised lines that run at a loss.

Then it needs massive capital investment just to exist and then it’s amazingly exposed to disasters.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692

I hate to say it, but your views are very "academic bubble".

I'm not sure what else you expect from somebody who is in one.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ugo.santalucia

Because lets face it, fannying around the edges is pointless. As long as there are planes, people will fly. As long as oil/gas/coal is cheaper, people will burn it.

You talk like Charlton Heston... so one could say that for as long as there are weapons around people will buy them and use them enthusiastically.
    It's down to the regulators to realise that the aviation sector cannot be made environmentally sustainable for the foreseeable future and therefore needs to be limited...
    Then if someone comes up with an electric plane that can be charged with solar cells, that's a different story, but that technology is not even in the pipeline.

Of course if you think a few thousand jobs and people's freedom to go get a skin cancer in Andalucia are more important than tackling climate change, then we are always going to collide, academic or not...

The bigger picture...

• TheBigBean

orraloon said:

Unions gonna union.

In fairness, almost all airlines struggle to make money in the long term.

Whole system is rigged with state subsidised lines that run at a loss.

Then it needs massive capital investment just to exist and then it’s amazingly exposed to disasters.
    Unions can union, but most don't make sure new employees get bad deals to benefit existing ones.
  • ugo.santalucia
    As an appendix to the previous,

Zoom has made a good proportion of business plane trips redundant, a large proportion of the rest was already "unnecessary travel", so what is left is not very much indeed.
    Maybe the digital age has made the age of air travel obsolete... time to catch on
  • As an appendix to the previous,

Zoom has made a good proportion of business plane trips redundant, a large proportion of the rest was already "unnecessary travel", so what is left is not very much indeed.
    Maybe the digital age has made the age of air travel obsolete... time to catch on

how about govt's stop bailing out airlines which will reduce capacity
  • ugo.santalucia

That too...

there is a fear that airline collapsing will damage the economy, as if flying around the world was inherently creating wealth... it is no more so than people cycling around a city, but the latter is more sustainable
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

Highly likely in the coming round of spending priorities.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,853
    Time to realise that airline companies are just the flavour of the day.
    Many other industries are going to be decimated in the next year.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

I think the owners of any company that has only been decimated will be doing a jig of joy
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,310
    My unpopular opinion: Decimated no longer means what it used to. And that's fine.
  • TheBigBean
    edited August 2020

pblakeney said:

I think the owners of any company that has only been decimated will be doing a jig of joy
    I don't think 1 in 10 dying within a company is going to be that acceptable. Definitely not jig of joy territory.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    pblakeney said:

I dunno, airlines are quite uniquely exposed to stuff like this.
  • pblakeney said:

I don't think 1 in 10 dying within a company is going to be that acceptable. Definitely not jig of joy territory.
    I was off school the day we did latin but does it not mean to reduce by one tenth, the original usage was discipline in the Roman Legions?