Big Trouble with not so Little China..๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ’› / ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ˜ก

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    I don't quite know what the Europeans think.
    After all, they all have issues with former colonies.

Also, our navel gazing introverted press just might not be reporting on Chinese affairs.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734

pinno said:

Ramping up the spy game in an attempt to match their activity won't really work in the long term though will it? Digital cold war?
    They can out resource us. There's little we can do as long as we go cap in hand begging for investment and in the process turn a blind eye to whatever misdemeanor whilst on the surface saying (toothlessly) that the actions of the Chinese regarding HK are unacceptable.

I'll take 1m Cantonese migrants though. That'll boost the economy no end. Perhaps even, invigorate the FS industry post Brexit.

If only there was some kind of mechanism or union on the UK's doorstep which could perhaps pool its resources to help combat it, even one that is larger economically than China....
    It still can.
    Choosing not to though, innit.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

Jeremy.89 said:

It is worth noting that when Deng Xiaoping and Thatcher were negotiating the terms of Hong Kong's handover, Deng is supposed to have said he didn't see the point of negotiating, he could just take Hong Kong whenever he wanted. Thatcher replied to this by saying that yes, he could, but he would also destroy any of the value of Hong Kong in so doing.

Feels like modern day China has forgotten this bit.

Surely the big difference is that modern day China no longer needs, or at least feels it needs the value of Hong Kong.

If we plot GDP (admittedly a crude tool) China's was lower than the UK's up until 2005 (source Google, might be wrong)

Xi is a real authoritarian type it seems, so he does not have the same tolerances for HK as Hu and Jaing appeared to have.
    Is there potential for this to be slightly cyclic behaviour.

Less authoritarian leaders open up China to a more market based system and see tremendous growth, but this comes at a cost towards the party. A more authoritarian leader comes in and shores the party position up, but starts to hurt foreign investment and trade...

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    I think the more salient point is how do you project authority on a Country with the second largest economy and military budget, one which produces the products we all rely on and are using right now?
  • rick_chasey

I think the more salient point is how do you project authority on a Country with the second largest economy and military budget, one which produces the products we all rely on and are using right now?

This will change, quite rapidly, especially after corona.

The world was heading in this direction anyway, but a focus on resilience will be a priority.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

before we took up buying our own debt there was a reliance on them funding our fiscal incontinence
  • focuszing723

The world was heading in this direction anyway, but a focus on resilience will be a priority.

You say it as if you know it will happen, where is your evidence to support this theory? What counts is what turns up on container-ships and planes, that's the fact of the situation.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641

pinno said:

Ramping up the spy game in an attempt to match their activity won't really work in the long term though will it? Digital cold war?
    They can out resource us. There's little we can do as long as we go cap in hand begging for investment and in the process turn a blind eye to whatever misdemeanor whilst on the surface saying (toothlessly) that the actions of the Chinese regarding HK are unacceptable.

I'll take 1m Cantonese migrants though. That'll boost the economy no end. Perhaps even, invigorate the FS industry post Brexit.

If only there was some kind of mechanism or union on the UK's doorstep which could perhaps pool its resources to help combat it, even one that is larger economically than China....
    It still can.
    Choosing not to though, innit.
    The EU will probably make some statement and then do nothing, yes. Nothing would be different if the UK was in the EU.
  • rick_chasey

You say it as if you know it will happen, where is your evidence to support this theory? What counts is what turns up on container-ships and planes, that's the fact of the situation.
    It's literally what all leaders are talking about.
  • focuszing723

Again, lets see that happen when global companies are chasing the bottom line.
  • I think the more salient point is how do you project authority on a Country with the second largest economy and military budget, one which produces the products we all rely on and are using right now?

Your lack of understanding around this is so poor that I am coming out and saying RC is correct(it's a dirty feeling). I posted these circumstances on page 1.
  • focuszing723
    edited July 2020

Your lack of understanding around this is so poor that I am coming out and saying RC is correct(it's a dirty feeling). I posted these circumstances on page 1.
    Still tapping away on your Chinese keyboard with your woke Avatar....
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457
    If it was just simple computer peripherals it wouldn't be an issue.
  • rick_chasey

Given that any western company, when it's too big or inconvenient for China get chased out, it is not likely that Western companies, apart from maybe a handful of luxury firms, will see China as a serious opportunity like they did 10 years ago.

That ship has sailed with Xi's reforms. We're in a different place now where China is, essentially, the new Evil Empire, with the US & Europe ripping themselves apart with the centrifugal forces of serious economic stagnation/depression in a democracy.

• TheBigBean

Given that any western company, when it's too big or inconvenient for China get chased out, it is not likely that Western companies, apart from maybe a handful of luxury firms, will see China as a serious opportunity like they did 10 years ago.

That ship has sailed with Xi's reforms. We're in a different place now where China is, essentially, the new Evil Empire, with the US & Europe ripping themselves apart with the centrifugal forces of serious economic stagnation/depression in a democracy.

For what it's worth, China also has a massive debt bubble
  • rick_chasey

For what it's worth, China also has a massive debt bubble
    Can recommend the new book "Trade wars are class wars" by Matthew C. Klein and Michael Pettis
  • focuszing723

That all sound swell, but lets see where your next fridge,TV...is made. Keep tapping away on your Chinese made Iphone.
  • TheBigBean

That all sound swell, but lets see where your next fridge,TV...is made. Keep tapping away on your Chinese made Iphone.
    You are setting a new record on the ratio below.

Identical post on one subject
    -----------------------------------
    total thread responses
  • rick_chasey

Mine was assembled in Czechoslovakia, but whatever.
  • focuszing723

You are setting a new record on the ratio below.

Identical post on one subject
    -----------------------------------
    total thread responses
    Keep listening to your Chinese headphones:)
  • focuszing723

I'm pretty sure if we did an itinerary on your house...I won't ram it home again.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2020

I'm pretty sure if we did an itinerary on your house...I won't ram it home again.
    So my samsung telly was assembled in SK. My xbox was assembled by the same company that assembled my iphone and that one was done in SK too. My frige was assembled in Turkey. My portable bose speaker was manufactured in mexico, my VW car was assembled in Brazil, my oven was assembled in Turkey, and my dishwasher was assembled in North Carolina, no less.

My work phone was assembled in SK. My laptop in in the US. My daughter's toys were all made in Europe. My sofas were made in the UK, my rugs in Iran, dining table & chairs in Germany, lightbulbs in Poland.

It goes on.

The main thing I get a lot from china is garlic and ginger.
  • focuszing723

So my samsung telly was assembled in SK. My xbox was assembled by the same company that assembled my iphone and that one was done in SK too. My frige was assembled in Turkey. My portable bose speaker was manufactured in mexico, my VW car was assembled in Brazil, my oven was assembled in Turkey, and my dishwasher was assembled in North Carolina, no less.

My work phone was assembled in SK. My laptop in in the US. My daughter's toys were all made in Europe. My sofas were made in the UK, my rugs in Iran, dining table & chairs in Germany, lightbulbs in Poland.

It goes on.

Your next job is to take them apart and check where the components were made, lol.
  • rick_chasey

It goes on.

Your next job is to take them apart and check where the components were made, lol.
    You can look that up, it's not that hard.

What I want to know is why does buying stuff from private companies that operate out of china have to do with supporting the Chinese internment of millions of Muslims?

I don't agree with plenty of US policies but I still pay my subscription to netflix each month.
  • focuszing723

It goes on.

What I want to know is why does buying stuff from private companies that operate out of china have to do with supporting the Chinese internment of millions of Muslims?

I don't agree with plenty of US policies but I still pay my subscription to netflix each month.
    I've stated this already, the second largest economy and military budget . Go on Rick, tell em what to do:)
  • TheBigBean

It goes on.

I've stated this already, the second largest economy and military budget . Go on Rick, tell em what to do:)
    In a two country world, who won the trade war between the US and China?
  • focuszing723

It goes on.

Last time I checked it wasn't
  • rick_chasey

It goes on.

Like I said, you would like the "Trade Wars are Class Wars" book.
  • TheBigBean

It goes on.

Like I said, you would like the "Trade Wars are Class Wars" book.
    I almost never read non-fiction. Too much commitment to a single author's view. Plus nowhere near enough time or actual interest.
  • focuszing723
    So out of your list Rick the only thing made in the UK was your sofa's. This isn't a judgement just a state of our current situation.