Big Trouble with not so Little China..๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ’› / ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ˜ก

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770

mr_goo said:

Disappointing that the topic has descended into materialism supply chain issues rather than discussing the geopolitical crisis that is happening in the SE Asia region.
    A friend of mine has a son living in Taiwan. They're deeply worried for his safety as the Chinese navy are building up strength in the Taiwan straits. Could this be the next flash point? The West certainly don't help in this instance as they do not recognise Taiwan.

Your neighbours should buy a few books on Taiwan and after they have finished you should borrow them.
    ?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo

It is worth noting that when Deng Xiaoping and Thatcher were negotiating the terms of Hong Kong's handover, Deng is supposed to have said he didn't see the point of negotiating, he could just take Hong Kong whenever he wanted. Thatcher replied to this by saying that yes, he could, but he would also destroy any of the value of Hong Kong in so doing.

Feels like modern day China has forgotten this bit.

I am biased to help me out here. HK is basically the main โ€œfreeโ€ financial centre for China without capital controls, so if that goes it basically gives up its USP, right?

Singapore will continue to benefit and will presumably become the new Asian #1 for FS in due course - because people donโ€™t mind *that* dictator.
    Is Singapore a dictatorship? Thought it had a similar parliamentary system to UK, albeit with President as head of state.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo

Your disappointment should be the fact that the Wests consumerist laziness has created this power shift predicament. What technology product are you using to type this Gooey?

Don't forget the Internet relys on millions of Chinese made servers, router, cables, monitors...to afford you this communication luxury Gooey! Are you going to take a stance and stop using it?

Very difficult to achieve in the short term. However I have been trying to avoid making any capital purchases small or large that are manufactured in China. As also noted components from said country are also likely to be a constituent part of any product made in another sovereign state.... Globalization and insatiable consumerism has given power to China.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    Clickety click goes Gooey on his Chinese laptop in his Chinese shrine.
  • Don't worry all, the usual SJW's and wokeys will be out on the streets protesting this weekend with "Hong Kong Lives Matters" or "Hong Kong Democracy Matter"

Oh wait, there are still some statues they are angry at...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Don't worry all, the usual SJW's and wokeys will be out on the streets protesting this weekend with "Hong Kong Lives Matters" or "Hong Kong Democracy Matter"

Oh wait, there are still some statues they are angry at...

Funnily enough you can be both.

I have been banging on about Chinese gulags for half a decade but no-one in the UK gives a sh!t because it's muslims and not Europeans.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

It is worth noting that when Deng Xiaoping and Thatcher were negotiating the terms of Hong Kong's handover, Deng is supposed to have said he didn't see the point of negotiating, he could just take Hong Kong whenever he wanted. Thatcher replied to this by saying that yes, he could, but he would also destroy any of the value of Hong Kong in so doing.

I am biased to help me out here. HK is basically the main โ€œfreeโ€ financial centre for China without capital controls, so if that goes it basically gives up its USP, right?

Singapore will continue to benefit and will presumably become the new Asian #1 for FS in due course - because people donโ€™t mind *that* dictator.
    Isn't that just whataboutery?
  • rick_chasey

Eh? I'm saying HK's entire raison d'etre is it's financial services hub. It has the advantage of being well developed there already, plus no restructing rules about capital. That obviously changes when it comes under full Chinese rule, right?

If anything, I'm agreeing with you.
  • focuszing723
    edited July 2020
    mr_goo said:

Your disappointment should be the fact that the Wests consumerist laziness has created this power shift predicament. What technology product are you using to type this Gooey?

Don't forget the Internet relys on millions of Chinese made servers, router, cables, monitors...to afford you this communication luxury Gooey! Are you going to take a stance and stop using it?

Very difficult to achieve in the short term. However I have been trying to avoid making any capital purchases small or large that are manufactured in China. As also noted components from said country are also likely to be a constituent part of any product made in another sovereign state.... Globalization and insatiable consumerism has given power to China.
    I posted before you posted this. You get my point though, how can we pontificate when we've already made our bed? Also, how can we condemn China after our history of colonial rule? Can't they just say 'hang on a minute...'
  • TheBigBean

Eh? I'm saying HK's entire raison d'etre is it's financial services hub. It has the advantage of being well developed there already, plus no restructing rules about capital. That obviously changes when it comes under full Chinese rule, right?

If anything, I'm agreeing with you.
    Yes, and I agree, but then you went on to point out that Singapore is not a liberal democracy.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

I have been banging on about Chinese gulags for half a decade but no-one in the UK gives a sh!t because it's muslims and not Europeans.

Given that the whole woke white BLM ally thing has a huge element of patronising noble savage romanticism I'm not at all sure that it's the Muslimness that puts people off: isn't it the same crowd that likes to go on about Islamophobia?

Maybe it's got more to do with the fact that BLM supporting virtue signalling has very little social or economic downside, either for individuals, businesses or other institutions, whereas, with the Chinese govt leaning heavily on anyone who speaks out on HK or the Uighurs, it might not be wise to do so. Just ask Arsenal...
  • rick_chasey

Given that the whole woke white BLM ally thing has a huge element of patronising noble savage romanticism I'm not at all sure that it's the Muslimness that puts people off: isn't it the same crowd that likes to go on about Islamophobia?

Maybe it's got more to do with the fact that BLM supporting virtue signalling has very little social or economic downside, either for individuals, businesses or other institutions, whereas, with the Chinese govt leaning heavily on anyone who speaks out on HK or the Uighurs, it might not be wise to do so. Just ask Arsenal...
    Would love to see the UK gov't even make a public statement on the fact China is pretty chill about holding over a million people in gulags.

So far, instead, it has resisted calls to ban cotton that is picked from the region where it is likely harvested by said slave labour, and invited the big Maoist wannabe himself over with the full state ceremony, and didn't mention it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    Wanted them to build a power station thoโ€™ innit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    pblakeney said:

Wanted them to build a power station thoโ€™ innit.

not any old power station, a nuclear power station

people seem to forget that it is only 5 months since our sovereign govt extensively studied 5G and voted for Huawei to help build it.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

Surely the big difference is that modern day China no longer needs, or at least feels it needs the value of Hong Kong.

If we plot GDP (admittedly a crude tool) China's was lower than the UK's up until 2005 (source Google, might be wrong)

• rick_chasey
    Jeremy.89 said:

Surely the big difference is that modern day China no longer needs, or at least feels it needs the value of Hong Kong.

If we plot GDP (admittedly a crude tool) China's was lower than the UK's up until 2005 (source Google, might be wrong)

Xi is a real authoritarian type it seems, so he does not have the same tolerances for HK as Hu and Jaing appeared to have.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

Would love to see the UK gov't even make a public statement on the fact China is pretty chill about holding over a million people in gulags.

So far, instead, it has resisted calls to ban cotton that is picked from the region where it is likely harvested by said slave labour, and invited the big Maoist wannabe himself over with the full state ceremony, and didn't mention it.
    We've given China more power over us than military might would have achieved. We've become dependent on them for everything from cheap consumables to key infrastructure. Even where they aren't directly involved they are providing the finance. Once an organisation or country has that sort of hold on you you can't really do much other than make the limited noises they allow.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    edited July 2020

...how can we condemn China after our history of colonial rule? Can't they just say 'hang on a minute...'

Oh no, here we go (again).

If we all took the view that x did y then we can justify doing x.

By this token, the Germans implemented the final solution*, anyone else can do the same. Or that we carried out Whaling, other countries are allowed to do the same.
    Does that attitude give carte blanche to any nation's activities? Does it make it right? That's a flawed argument. It's called moral relativism.

*Not acceptable then.

[slight diversion] We aren't saints now - we sell arms to the Saudi's who are bombing the hell out of Yemen. But I am opposed to that and I can exercise my democratic right in opposing our governments foreign affairs whereas, if you are Chinese you cannot oppose anything that is state sponsored.

China agreed handover stipulations for HK and are now reneging on them.
    Certain books are prohibited. You can get locked up for selling them in HK. You can buy and read Spycatcher or The Satanic verses in the UK. There's very limited censorship of written material in the UK. Only material that may incite violence or racial hatred. Which is fair enough.

As a race (human race) we evolve, therefore what was acceptable historically is not acceptable now.

Yes, we can condemn China for:
    Exploitation of resources (For example, in Kenya, the Chinese government offered investment in return for the remaining hardwoods in the Chula hills jungle (where the original Jonny Weizmuller Tarzan(s) were filmed). They devastated the jungle and no investment materialised on a 'technicality' - probably bribed officials. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Not doing anything really meaningful about the importation of Ivory. Poached Ivory, Tiger bone, some Rhino horn*, plus the devastation of shark populations for shark fin soup, turtles, snakes (from the lovely Australians).
    *Main market for Rhino horn is actually Thailand.
    To cap this, they have not only been directly complicit in devastating Elephant numbers, they buy a few from Zimbabwe to populate the zoos in China and then dress it up as investment for the wildlife parks. How awfully ironic. They should really be paying millions in compensation.

The 'Gulags' as RC describes them.

The censoring of anything sensitive.

The misrepresentation of Covid deaths - even reprimanding doctors for speaking the truth.

China a wholly undemocratic one party state unlike us and HK (to a degree for that matter). Its a dictatorship with huge power and resources possessing no morals and no democracy and no respect for it's own citizens (fed on a diet of propaganda).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • focuszing723
    pinno said:

...how can we condemn China after our history of colonial rule? Can't they just say 'hang on a minute...'

Oh no, here we go (again).

If we all took the view that x did y then we can justify doing x.

By this token, the Germans implemented the final solution, anyone else can do the same. Or that we carried out Whaling, other countries are allowed to do the same.
    Does that attitude give carte blanche to any nation's activities? Does it make it right? That's a flawed argument. It's called moral relativism.
    [slight diversion] We aren't saints now - we sell arms to the Saudi's who are bombing the hell out of Yemen. But I am opposed to that and I can exercise my democratic right in opposing our governments foreign affairs whereas, if you are Chinese you cannot oppose anything that is state sponsored.

China agreed handover stipulations for HK and are now reneging on them.
    Certain books are prohibited. You can get locked up for selling them in HK. You can buy and read Spycatcher or The Satanic verses in the UK. There's very limited censorship of written material in the UK. Only material that may incite violence or racial hatred. Which is fair enough.

As a race (human race) we evolve, therefore what was acceptable historically is not acceptable now.

Yes, we can condemn China for:
    Exploitation of resources (For example, in Kenya, the Chinese government offered investment in return for the remaining hardwoods in the Chula hills jungle (where the original Jonny Weizmuller Tarzan(s) were filmed). They devastated the jungle and no investment materialised on a 'technicality' - probably bribed officials. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Not doing anything really meaningful about the importation of Ivory. Poached Ivory, Tiger bone, some Rhino horn*, plus the devastation of shark populations for shark fin soup, turtles, snakes (from the lovely Australians).
    *Main market for Rhino horn is actually Thailand.
    To cap this, they have not only been directly complicit in devastating Elephant numbers, they buy a few from Zimbabwe to populate the zoos in China and then dress it up as investment for the wildlife parks. How awfully ironic. They should really be paying millions in compensation.

The 'Gulags' as RC describes them.

The censoring of anything sensitive.

The misrepresentation of Covid deaths - even reprimanding doctors for speaking the truth.

China a wholly undemocratic one party state unlike us and HK (to a degree for that matter). Its a dictatorship with huge power and resources possessing no morals and no democracy and no respect for it's own citizens (fed on a diet of propaganda).
    Lol, tapping away on your Chinese keyboard in your Chinese shrine.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You could add the really chilling technological totalitarianism - compulsory apps for your phone to tell the government, constantly, where you are and what you're doing? The whole Black Mirror social ranking thing?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    edited July 2020
    Jeremy.89 said:

Not that long ago* the Chinese didn't even know how to design or build power transformers for their power stations, I know as I was designing them. My wonderful bosses had the genius idea of selling them 3. We would design, build and supply 2 then provide the design and assist them in building the third. It didn't take a genius to see how that would pan out.
    Am I surprised we are where we are today? Not a jot. The world has sold out for short term gain. This is the consequence.

*early '80s. I was made redundant 2 years later (last in, first out. I just love unions). The company shut 2 years after that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

You could add the really chilling technological totalitarianism - compulsory apps for your phone to tell the government, constantly, where you are and what you're doing? The whole Black Mirror social ranking thing?

Who knew communists were into using technology to track people.

Who. Knew.
  • TheBigBean

Who. Knew.
    As an aside, it would be great if GCHQ would use its powers to make it harder for the people it represents to be spied on. It currently chooses to do the opposite, so it's very easy for a state e.g. China to borrow anything it likes from any business in the UK
  • rick_chasey

Who. Knew.
    As an aside, it would be great if GCHQ would use its powers to make it harder for the people it represents to be spied on. It currently chooses to do the opposite, so it's very easy for a state e.g. China to borrow anything it likes from any business in the UK
    Agreed.
  • rick_chasey

I mean, there is an obvious difference is that BLM is about your own country and not a distant far away one.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Ramping up the spy game in an attempt to match their activity won't really work in the long term though will it? Digital cold war?
    They can out resource us. There's little we can do as long as we go cap in hand begging for investment and in the process turn a blind eye to whatever misdemeanor whilst on the surface saying (toothlessly) that the actions of the Chinese regarding HK are unacceptable.

I'll take 1m Cantonese migrants though. That'll boost the economy no end. Perhaps even, invigorate the FS industry post Brexit.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

Ramping up the spy game in an attempt to match their activity won't really work in the long term though will it? Digital cold war?
    They can out resource us. There's little we can do as long as we go cap in hand begging for investment and in the process turn a blind eye to whatever misdemeanor whilst on the surface saying (toothlessly) that the actions of the Chinese regarding HK are unacceptable.

I'll take 1m Cantonese migrants though. That'll boost the economy no end. Perhaps even, invigorate the FS industry post Brexit.

If only there was some kind of mechanism or union on the UK's doorstep which could perhaps pool its resources to help combat it, even one that is larger economically than China....
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited July 2020

I mean, there is an obvious difference is that BLM is about your own country and not a distant far away one.
    Well, with our own country the race troubles of another has set back the race relations in the UK at least a decade. Great move!
  • TheBigBean

pinno said:

If only there was some kind of mechanism or union on the UK's doorstep which could perhaps pool its resources to help combat it, even one that is larger economically than China....
    It still can.
  • focuszing723
    Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light...