Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Zone 6: the hill climb thread

• ... and looking decent... :)

• When applying to get on to the nationals, is much attention paid to coming, say, 20th out of a decent field of 100, or 10th out of 15 people? I'm presuming not given the forms just seem to ask for finishing position?

Bit demoralised as trained really hard over lockdown and lost a load of weight, am getting times that would have gotten me in top 5/10s of the same events I rode last year, but am basically getting the same positions (c. 15th) this year just due to the strength and sizes of the field!

I grew up about 2 miles from the nationals course this year and as such have really taken it as being a lovely opportunity (even without spectators) which I'd probably only get once in my lifetime to do. But starting to lose any faith that I'd even have a hope of getting in, and biscuits are starting to gain their allure again!!
  • When applying to get on to the nationals, is much attention paid to coming, say, 20th out of a decent field of 100, or 10th out of 15 people? I'm presuming not given the forms just seem to ask for finishing position?

Bit demoralised as trained really hard over lockdown and lost a load of weight, am getting times that would have gotten me in top 5/10s of the same events I rode last year, but am basically getting the same positions (c. 15th) this year just due to the strength and sizes of the field!

I grew up about 2 miles from the nationals course this year and as such have really taken it as being a lovely opportunity (even without spectators) which I'd probably only get once in my lifetime to do. But starting to lose any faith that I'd even have a hope of getting in, and biscuits are starting to gain their allure again!!

If she (the organiser) is still keen/allowed to go ahead with the plan of having 480 riders on the day, then any result in an open will do... in the past the National was restricted to 180 riders... I don't even know if there are 480 people who want to race it!!
    I suppose it's good to quote the size of the field, as you say 10th out of 20 is not the same as 15th out of 100.

And yes, times are crazy this year. If you go to the Saintbury HC segment on Strava, 9 of the first 10 times have been set at last weekend's race.
    Fields are crazy too. The week before I did a club event which did look like an Open, with Richard Bussell and Cameron Biddle, among others. Last year, the same event had a winner who would have finished 7th.
    I guess with not much else around, a lot of riders have focussed their entire training on the TT and hill climb season and now you see the results

Good luck on your quest, hopefully I'll see you in Goring
  • marykamaryka Posts: 745
    It's really a dark art compared to other TTs where it's purely on time over a specified distance and you need to race "fast courses" to get a fast time.

I think entering a high profile event and coming further down the results table with high-quality winners is probably better than doing well at some event where no top tier riders raced.

I think there may be space in the entry form to write some comments so I would put in info about times vs top level riders in recent races (i.e., "within 10% of winner's time in 3 races finishing 5th, 15th and 18th" or whatever). But one thing I would say is ALWAYS tick the reserve box especially if you live close by, that will increase your chances of getting a ride as usually all reserves in a HC will get in.
  • Calculating % on time expressed in minutes and seconds... risky business for many...
    I think I am in the +40% bracket :/
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 25,265
    edited 28 September
    Another busy weekend of racing.
    On Saturday I joined a well attended Rugby Velo club event, up KH35, just south of Daventry. A fierce headwind, especially at the top, but I had a good run and managed to finish 7th, in a field of 30, which I was pretty pleased with, time 2:34.4... according to Strava I might be 2nd in the Vets, but it's hard to say, there is no age breakdown in B-type events.
    This morning, 5AM alarm and 85 mile drive to Inkpen for the Newbury Velo Open, up Walbury Hill. I have spent holidays at home, so from an environmental point of view, I don't feel terrible about a 170 mile round trip to race 1.2 miles up a hill...
    The fierce and chilling wind this time was on our back, pushing riders up the hill at record pace. The first 5 finished inside the course record, which might be a record in itself.
    I stayed on the big ring all the way up, towards the top where the gradient briefly hits double figures, I was on a 65 inch gear. I very nearly caught my minute man, I probably needed another 100 meters of climb. Finished in 4:59.7, I didn't expect to go under 5 minutes, but I didn't expect a 15-20 mph tailwind either.
    Pending official results, I should be 9th out of 30 Veterans... I don't even want to know the overall position, too many young guns, somewhere bottom half in a large field of 70+ riders.

Amber warning for heavy rain, so I decided to call it a day on today's race in Worcestershire... difficult driving conditions on the motorway system, best to stay safe and have a cup of tea...

Annoying, but I can't complain, so far I've had nothing but sunshine.
    In the meantime I have submitted my entry for the National Championship... fingers crossed
  • shirley_bassoshirley_basso Posts: 3,413
    edited 3 October
    Best of luck ugo. Hope your rides are gathering lots of kudos ;)
    Just received confirmation I am going to have a ride at the National Championship on the 25th... :)
    edited 11 October
    two weeks to go to the National. Coventry CC double HC race today... cocked up the start up KH5, easily lost 10 seconds engaging the cleat... time best not mentioned. I did better up KH6, "my climb", where I have done most of my tests over the summer. Managed to equal my best time of 3:29 and power output (356Watt), but not better it, so I am at the peak... now the subtle art of maintaining...
    One race to go next week in Aldbury, a 2 minute bump, then the National and then curtains for the season

I was chatting to someone today who thinks there may be holders at the start for the National? Kitted out in visor, mask, and gloves...
    maryka said:

I was chatting to someone today who thinks there may be holders at the start for the National? Kitted out in visor, mask, and gloves...

That would be nice... on short climbs you can really lose a lot in the clip-in lottery. I wonder how hard it would be to have some sort of contraption to hold on to before the start
  • webboowebboo Posts: 2,843

maryka said:

That would be nice... on short climbs you can really lose a lot in the clip-in lottery. I wonder how hard it would be to have some sort of contraption to hold on to before the start
    Zimmer frame maybe.
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,649

maryka said:

Pretty sure Reading CC had a piece of wooden framework, with a handle you could hang onto before the off - it must have been cleaned inbetween each rider departing.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
    Good to know, since they organise the National :)
  • simon_esimon_e Posts: 1,677

Just received confirmation I am going to have a ride at the National Championship on the 25th... :)

Start Sheets are up on CTT (Men, Women). You are rider no. 148. Good luck.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Jack_LukeJack_Luke Posts: 21 Assistant Editor

maryka said:

One of my more memorable hill climbs (for the wrong reasons) was caused by a start marshall who was clearly a bit... distracted. I really thought I was going to go over sideways at the start. You can see the near-disaster at the 08:38-ish mark: https://youtu.be/ZKGIW3CPIIE?t=514
    Assistant Editor for BikeRadar.com. Keep up to date with my latest work here.
    Can't see the video...

Yes, logistically a bit more complicated than planned... there is quite a way between the car park and the start and then a 4 km loop to go back to HQ... so it's the perennial question: should I carry a spare tube and a minipump or should I chance it? These race tyres puncture easily and it would be heartbreaking to puncture on the way to the start... At the end of the day a couple of hundred grams on my back are not going to make any significant difference, are they? In normal times you would then dump the stuff at the start, but now with Covid you can't even do that...
  • joe2019joe2019 Posts: 720

Can't see the video...

There you go...
    edited 17 October

Can't see the video...

Yes, logistically a bit more complicated than planned... there is quite a way between the car park and the start and then a 4 km loop to go back to HQ... so it's the perennial question: should I carry a spare tube and a minipump or should I chance it? These race tyres puncture easily and it would be heartbreaking to puncture on the way to the start... At the end of the day a couple of hundred grams on my back are not going to make any significant difference, are they? In normal times you would then dump the stuff at the start, but now with Covid you can't even do that...

However, you're using 'race tyres', presumably, to save couple of hundred grams of weight.
    You can't leave anything at/near the start, not even a jacket?
    maryka said:

You can't leave anything at/near the start, not even a jacket?

Organisers have become paranoid... there are 20 pages of instructions of what to do and what not to do. Certainly the all idea of approaching the start line twice is a no go.
    I could leave it in the proximity of the start, but it's in the middle of a town... I really don't know where to leave stuff... AND in some respect it would be handy to have it with me... after the finish there are 4 km of lanes to head back to the HQ (cruacially not via the start line)... so a puncture there would be a very long walk indeed, especially on cleats.
    joe2019 said:

Can't see the video...

However, you're using 'race tyres', presumably, to save couple of hundred grams of weight.
    Yes, but also because they are inherently faster tyres... you're always going to be faster with TT tyres and a pump in your rear pocket than with non TT tyres and without a pump in your rear pocket... it's a no brainer, really... if you have light, fast tyres you have to use them at the National, otherwise why buying them?
  • webboowebboo Posts: 2,843
    Just take a tube and levers. Chances are someone else will have a pump.

joe2019 said:

Can't see the video...

Yes, but also because they are inherently faster tyres... you're always going to be faster with TT tyres and a pump in your rear pocket than with non TT tyres and without a pump in your rear pocket... it's a no brainer, really... if you have light, fast tyres you have to use them at the National, otherwise why buying them?

Using tubulars is also a 'no brainer' for a hill climb :)
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Can't see the video...

Using tubulars is also a 'no brainer' for a hill climb :)
    Yes, although they are not immune to punctures... in fact you have pretty much the same chances.
    I used tubulars for a while but I never got on with them for various reasons, so I am not going that route again... happy to compromise with a pair of TT clinchers with supersonic inner tubes... about the same weight, if not lighter
    Jack_Luke said:

maryka said:

One of my more memorable hill climbs (for the wrong reasons) was caused by a start marshall who was clearly a bit... distracted. I really thought I was going to go over sideways at the start. You can see the near-disaster at the 08:38-ish mark: https://youtu.be/ZKGIW3CPIIE?t=514
    In the end you hardly lost any time... you saved it quite well... :smile:
    80 grams lost on the bars... :D

• shirley_bassoshirley_basso Posts: 3,413
    When are you taking the hacksaw to them?
  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 19,713
    edited 17 October
    Shouldn’t need that left shifter either
    Rule #5 // Harden The censored Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.