Zone 6: the thread that got deleted

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    edited June 2021
    deleted
    left the forum March 2023
  • When applying to get on to the nationals, is much attention paid to coming, say, 20th out of a decent field of 100, or 10th out of 15 people? I'm presuming not given the forms just seem to ask for finishing position?

Bit demoralised as trained really hard over lockdown and lost a load of weight, am getting times that would have gotten me in top 5/10s of the same events I rode last year, but am basically getting the same positions (c. 15th) this year just due to the strength and sizes of the field!

I grew up about 2 miles from the nationals course this year and as such have really taken it as being a lovely opportunity (even without spectators) which I'd probably only get once in my lifetime to do. But starting to lose any faith that I'd even have a hope of getting in, and biscuits are starting to gain their allure again!!
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    It's really a dark art compared to other TTs where it's purely on time over a specified distance and you need to race "fast courses" to get a fast time.

I think entering a high profile event and coming further down the results table with high-quality winners is probably better than doing well at some event where no top tier riders raced.

I think there may be space in the entry form to write some comments so I would put in info about times vs top level riders in recent races (i.e., "within 10% of winner's time in 3 races finishing 5th, 15th and 18th" or whatever). But one thing I would say is ALWAYS tick the reserve box especially if you live close by, that will increase your chances of getting a ride as usually all reserves in a HC will get in.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited October 2020
    Best of luck ugo. Hope your rides are gathering lots of kudos ;)
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • maryka
    I was chatting to someone today who thinks there may be holders at the start for the National? Kitted out in visor, mask, and gloves...
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

maryka said:

I was chatting to someone today who thinks there may be holders at the start for the National? Kitted out in visor, mask, and gloves...

That would be nice... on short climbs you can really lose a lot in the clip-in lottery. I wonder how hard it would be to have some sort of contraption to hold on to before the start
    Zimmer frame maybe.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538

maryka said:

That would be nice... on short climbs you can really lose a lot in the clip-in lottery. I wonder how hard it would be to have some sort of contraption to hold on to before the start
    Pretty sure Reading CC had a piece of wooden framework, with a handle you could hang onto before the off - it must have been cleaned inbetween each rider departing.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Good to know, since they organise the National :)
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706

Just received confirmation I am going to have a ride at the National Championship on the 25th... :)

Start Sheets are up on CTT (Men, Women). You are rider no. 148. Good luck.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • maryka said:

One of my more memorable hill climbs (for the wrong reasons) was caused by a start marshall who was clearly a bit... distracted. I really thought I was going to go over sideways at the start. You can see the near-disaster at the 08:38-ish mark: https://youtu.be/ZKGIW3CPIIE?t=514
    Assistant Editor for BikeRadar.com. Keep up to date with my latest work here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Can't see the video...

http://youtu.be/ZKGIW3CPIIE?t=514

There you go...
  • joe2019
    edited October 2020

Can't see the video...

Yes, logistically a bit more complicated than planned... there is quite a way between the car park and the start and then a 4 km loop to go back to HQ... so it's the perennial question: should I carry a spare tube and a minipump or should I chance it? These race tyres puncture easily and it would be heartbreaking to puncture on the way to the start... At the end of the day a couple of hundred grams on my back are not going to make any significant difference, are they? In normal times you would then dump the stuff at the start, but now with Covid you can't even do that...

However, you're using 'race tyres', presumably, to save couple of hundred grams of weight.
  • maryka
    You can't leave anything at/near the start, not even a jacket?
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Just take a tube and levers. Chances are someone else will have a pump.
  • joe2019

joe2019 said:

Can't see the video...

Yes, logistically a bit more complicated than planned... there is quite a way between the car park and the start and then a 4 km loop to go back to HQ... so it's the perennial question: should I carry a spare tube and a minipump or should I chance it? These race tyres puncture easily and it would be heartbreaking to puncture on the way to the start... At the end of the day a couple of hundred grams on my back are not going to make any significant difference, are they? In normal times you would then dump the stuff at the start, but now with Covid you can't even do that...

However, you're using 'race tyres', presumably, to save couple of hundred grams of weight.
    Yes, but also because they are inherently faster tyres... you're always going to be faster with TT tyres and a pump in your rear pocket than with non TT tyres and without a pump in your rear pocket... it's a no brainer, really... if you have light, fast tyres you have to use them at the National, otherwise why buying them?

Using tubulars is also a 'no brainer' for a hill climb :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021

deleted
  • Jack_Luke said:

maryka said:

One of my more memorable hill climbs (for the wrong reasons) was caused by a start marshall who was clearly a bit... distracted. I really thought I was going to go over sideways at the start. You can see the near-disaster at the 08:38-ish mark: https://youtu.be/ZKGIW3CPIIE?t=514
    In the end you hardly lost any time... you saved it quite well... :smile:
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • When are you taking the hacksaw to them?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    edited October 2020
    Shouldn’t need that left shifter either
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.