Edward Colston/Trans rights/Stamp collecting

1636465666769»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

I never take any notice of these award ceremonies - it just seems an odd thing a group of people deciding what the best album or who the best artist is. Unless you are deaf and can't actually hear the music yourself why would you need someone else to tell you what is good ?

Ok I get it's an industry thing and it helps drive sales - I just don't get why people outside the industry care - if indeed they do.

Start. Middle. End.
    Only reason they exist.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    I know you are making fun of him. He appears to be arguing that minorities should never be overrepresented.
  • I don't think 9 female nominees out of 20 since they made the two awards non gender specific is too bad.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Owen hasn't lost his touch :smiley:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/31/ex-tory-mp-threatens-sue-cambridge-university-slavery-research-antoinette-sandbach

The former Tory MP Antoinette Sandbach has threatened the University of Cambridge with legal action after a historian named her as a descendant of merchants who enslaved his ancestors.

Malik Al Nasir, a third-year PhD history student at St Catharine’s College, has spent the past 20 years exploring his family’s history of slavery and the wealth that was built from those who enslaved them.

Suing him because he found out a fact and made it public?

Do you have a right to privacy about your ancestor being part of the slave trade?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I would rate her chances as non-existent unless there is something else like hassling them about it.
  • Stevo_666
    Why would anyone give a s**t? You can't help who your parents are.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    edited August 2023
    People often proudly note their famous ancestors for a bit of extra kudos. Seems only reasonable to also acknowledge that those ancestors are not just one dimensional 'good chaps'.

It's a matter of record that the Sandbach family made their money in West Indies sugar plantations. That lead to being mayor of Liverpool. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/person/view/8083

You can't choose your parents but equally they do have an influence on where you end up in life.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

People often proudly note their famous ancestors for a bit of extra kudos. Seems only reasonable to also acknowledge that those ancestors are not just one dimensional 'good chaps'.

It's a matter of record that the Sandbach family made their money in West Indies sugar plantations. That lead to being mayor of Liverpool. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/person/view/8083

You can't choose your parents but equally they do have an influence on where you end up in life.

S**t happens. Don't see why its relevant though.
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

For a time she ran the family farming business which is still based on the same Wales estate that her great great great grandfather bought with the proceeds from his sugar plantation. It's one of the more direct links. Goodness knows why she's threatening to sue - as you say, you can't choose your ancestors, nor can you edit out the ones you'd rather forget. and I think very few can claim no link to that part of our past whatsoever.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

It has just come up from research the PhD student did on their family and the ex-MP has made it an issue by threatening to sue over something that is a matter of historical record so you'd have to ask her I suppose.
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

It has just come up from research the PhD student did on their family and the ex-MP has made it an issue by threatening to sue over something that is a matter of historical record so you'd have to ask her I suppose.
    I don't think it needed a PhD thesis to find this connection. As I say, unlikely anyone can claim to have no connection whatsoever to the mainstay of the British economy during that period.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Does that make Sandbach services on the M6 a no go area for us woke antifa BLM lefties? 🤔
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I don't think it needed a PhD thesis to find this connection. As I say, unlikely anyone can claim to have no connection whatsoever to the mainstay of the British economy during that period.
    Reasonably safe if your ancestors were serfs.
    But then employment... 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Well done to her for confirming the Streisand effect.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

True, I'm looking at it from my point of view. If somebody announced that I was descended from someone who did nasty things a couple of hundred years ago, my reaction would 'Yep - sfw?'
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Reasonably safe if your ancestors were serfs.
    But then employment... 🤔
    Just a question of how far back you go. Our most recent common ancestor was only about 600 years ago, early 15th century.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Barbara Streisand effect
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    (well none of you pressed play on the video then...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Stevo_666 said:

Wait till you hear how the UK Head of State is chosen
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

How is that relevant here?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Giving a s**t who someone's parents were, in a long ancestral line, is the basis for the selection of the UK head of state.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Giving a s**t who someone's parents were, in a long ancestral line, is the basis for the selection of the UK head of state.

No sh1t Sherlock. Pretty clear we're talking about people in general and not the very obvious exception.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No censored Sherlock. Pretty clear we're talking about people in general and not the very obvious exception.
    Point is they aren't an exception; just a more public example.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Can we just blame the whatever that created the big bang?

Ummm...and the thing that created the thing that created the big bang.

Ummm...
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.ft.com/content/f8b902b9-ca9a-42db-a3cd-97fe2cc13863

Companies with more gender-balanced workforces outperformed their least-balanced peers by as much as 2 percentage points annually between 2013 and 2022, a BlackRock study of the MSCI World index has found.

The higher return on assets held true within countries and within sectors, and was especially marked for companies where gender parity was greatest in revenue producing, engineering and top-paying jobs, researchers at the $9.1tn money manager said in a report released on Thursday.