Edward Colston/Trans rights/Stamp collecting

Comments

• Could have gone the Chichen Itza route and just started from scratch.

are you saying that it was built recently or that the current structure replaced something a thousand years ago.
    It was basically built in the last 100 years to look like what someone guessed might have been there before. It's why it looks so impressively well preserved.
    Not sure if I knew that, I rather liked the son et lumiere show.

I would say I preferred Machu Pichu but fear that one of you will shattter the illusion
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,196
    Chichen Itza has been a bit sanitised. The random stuff in the jungles is easier to appreciate.

• Chichen Itza has been a bit sanitised. The random stuff in the jungles is easier to appreciate.

I found the same with random stuff in the jungles around Ankor Wat.
  • Chichen Itza has been a bit sanitised. The random stuff in the jungles is easier to appreciate.

I've only been to a couple of places over there, but Coba is a much more impressive visit than Chichen Itza.
  • TheBigBean

Chichen Itza has been a bit sanitised. The random stuff in the jungles is easier to appreciate.

I found the same with random stuff in the jungles around Ankor Wat.
    I agree.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,575
    edited January 2023

Could have gone the Chichen Itza route and just started from scratch.

are you saying that it was built recently or that the current structure replaced something a thousand years ago.
    It was basically built in the last 100 years to look like what someone guessed might have been there before. It's why it looks so impressively well preserved.
    Think that's a bit of a stretch again. Looking at the pre-restoration photos the main structures are all there.

It's all just fashion anyway. The Victorians were mad keen on restoring churches to what they thought they should have looked like*, frequently ripping out original features, but that was a bit of a reaction to the Picturesque movement which fetishised ruin and decay. We're just going round the loop again.

*I posted a photo in the Photography thread of the Ninian Comper organ loft inserted into our local church.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

I've only been to a couple of places over there, but Coba is a much more impressive visit than Chichen Itza.
    I rented a car in Cancun and got into the sticks where I was stopped at an army roadblock. I look very Mexican and the young soldiers got very nervous as they took my inability to speak Spanish as game playing. The more they prodded me with rifles the more nervous they got as it did not help me speak Spanish.

After that I did not feel like bimbling around
  • TheBigBean
    My memory is terrible. I was confusing Teotihuacan with Chichen Itza. Think my view is unchanged, but having looked at some photos I seem to have forgotten most of the places I went to.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,814
    Predictably, when the Brits made their awards gender neutral this year (in an attempt to be inclusive for those artists who do not identify with a particular gender, like Sam Smith), the shortlists are massively male dominated, thus illustrating why they made women's awards to begin with.
  • Predictably, when the Brits made their awards gender neutral this year (in an attempt to be inclusive for those artists who do not identify with a particular gender, like Sam Smith), the shortlists are massively male dominated, thus illustrating why they made women's awards to begin with.

They did it last year and Adele won.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,814
    edited January 2023
    As someone who spends his life assembling short lists for one "winner", i can tell you the make up of the shortlist is more important than the winner when it comes to diversity...
  • Even if the best 5 musical artists in the UK are male, I refuse to believe that George Ezra is one of them. I don't mind him, he's fine.
  • As someone who spends his life assembling short lists for one "winner", i can tell you the make up of the shortlist is more important than the winner when it comes to diversity...

Last year 40% of "artist of the year" nominees were female, and 80% of "new artist" and "international artist" nominees. All female winners. British group nominees were 60% female fronted.

This year's artist of the year is weird, but it's a record company thing and they care about sales - maybe Charli XCX could have gone in there? Who do you think?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453

Even if the best 5 musical artists in the UK are male, I refuse to believe that George Ezra is one of them. I don't mind him, he's fine.

Wet Leg have 4 nominations. When I walked into the office on a rare visit and heard Chaise Longue on the radio for the first time my exact words were "WTF is this shit". I know music is subjective but outside of actual novelty songs (which I initially assumed it was) I can't recall hearing anything so bad.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,379
    edited January 2023
    Pross said:

Even if the best 5 musical artists in the UK are male, I refuse to believe that George Ezra is one of them. I don't mind him, he's fine.

Wet Leg have 4 nominations. When I walked into the office on a rare visit and heard Chaise Longue on the radio for the first time my exact words were "WTF is this censored ". I know music is subjective but outside of actual novelty songs (which I initially assumed it was) I can't recall hearing anything so bad.
    Haha - Wet Leg are really good, and they really enjoy themselves.

One of the 4 nominees for the main awards I've seen play in Kingston in the last year! (George Ezra is another though.)
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,729
    Could have put Self Esteem or Little Simmz in no issue.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,379
    edited January 2023

Neither released an album in 2022 (or at least not early enough in 2022).
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,037
    Pross said:

Wet Leg have 4 nominations. When I walked into the office on a rare visit and heard Chaise Longue on the radio for the first time my exact words were "WTF is this censored ". I know music is subjective but outside of actual novelty songs (which I initially assumed it was) I can't recall hearing anything so bad.
    Wet Leg 'Chaise Longue' been getting beacoup plays on BBC R2. And every time I hear I'm going really, WTF? Someone's got a deal.
  • carbonclem

You’re right, I picked them off the top of my head as they were up for the Mercury’s .

I’ll say Sam Smith, Dua Lipa and Becky Hill then. I’m
    Not saying they are deserving winners but it seems mad they wouldn’t have been put on the list.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,550
    Kate Bush?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • carbonclem
    pangolin said:

Kate Bush?

I don’t think she released new stuff, just had old work boosted?
  • Annie Lennox always seemed to get nominated
  • Could have put Self Esteem or Little Simmz in no issue.

You’re right, I picked them off the top of my head as they were up for the Mercury’s .

I’ll say Sam Smith, Dua Lipa and Becky Hill then. I’m
    Not saying they are deserving winners but it seems mad they wouldn’t have been put on the list.
    They’ve not really released much new either. No albums.
  • Charlie XCX had a number one album last year, is the best shout to replace one of those nominated.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,575
    edited January 2023
    Are you lot trying to show just how down with the kids you are or something?

Got told off by the 13yo yesterday for suggesting that emo was similar to goth.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,911
    rjsterry said:

Is that something to do with Sesame Street? Or Rod Hull?
  • rjsterry said:

• carbonclem
    rjsterry said:

Fair play :smile:
    I’m out.
  • Anyone who thinks all the kids are woke and you can't say anything any more should listen to Central Cee who got nominated. It's not for me.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,914
    edited January 2023
    I never take any notice of these award ceremonies - it just seems an odd thing a group of people deciding what the best album or who the best artist is. Unless you are deaf and can't actually hear the music yourself why would you need someone else to tell you what is good ?

Ok I get it's an industry thing and it helps drive sales - I just don't get why people outside the industry care - if indeed they do.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]